View Poll Results: What is the best thing about Philadelphia?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Steak sandwiches

22 64.71%
  • Rocky Balboa

2 5.88%
  • The f'ing Phillies

0 0%
  • The Cheating Eagles

1 2.94%
  • Benjiman Franklin

6 17.65%
  • The sewage system

3 8.82%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Wait, this is a Philadelphia thread and no mention of scrapple so far? One of the Philly people should post something on the recipe thread.

I don't get the whole Mummers thing either. I'm told there's even a Mummer's museum. eeew. I have a hard time getting behind the concept of getting drunk and then getting dressed up in sequins and feathers on Halloween, let alone New Years Day.
    1. I HATE scrapple. Too many pig parts. (no offense to your beautiful [] avatar)
    2. Have you actually gotten dressed up in sequins and feathers on Halloween after imbibing large quantities of two carbon fragments?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Another missing option: Greatest fans ever
    You mean the fans that are heckling babies and throwing mustard at Joe Maddon's granddaughter?

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport..._ballpark.html

The baby was probably dumb enough to dress as Santa Claus.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1. I HATE scrapple. Too many pig parts. (no offense to your beautiful [] avatar)
    2. Have you actually gotten dressed up in sequins and feathers on Halloween after imbibing large quantities of two carbon fragments?
    DDeac -

I've never tried scrapple, so I wouldn't know... I can't see how it would be an improvement on sausage, though...

I guess that was sloppy writing on my part - I have such a hard time even thinking about it, that I've never acted it out... Every now and then I trip over a Mummers clip on TV, and all I can ask is "What were they thinking?!?"

Perhaps the native "Philluphians" can edumicate me a little?

BTW, I think I'll keep the avatar until the election...

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Vote.
    I voted for the Philly Cheesesteak, but my Dad was from Philly so the contest is really for second place to my way of thinking.

And I do remember Roman Gabriel, played arounf the time of Johnny Unitas if memory serves.
    The Gordog

I remember Roman Gabriel! Italian, right? Seriously, I certainly remember him as quarterback of the LA Rams, and that he quarterbacked at NC State. Played against my hero and Duke grad Sonny Jurgensen!

Question: Who was the only team that could hold Sonny Jurgensen to less than 250 yards passing? Answer: Duke (and Coach Bill Murray)!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    You mean the fans that are heckling babies and throwing mustard at Joe Maddon's granddaughter?

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sport..._ballpark.html

The baby was probably dumb enough to dress as Santa Claus.
    Or as Mike Schmidt.

DDeac -

I've never tried scrapple, so I wouldn't know... I can't see how it would be an improvement on sausage, though...

I guess that was sloppy writing on my part - I have such a hard time even thinking about it, that I've never acted it out... Every now and then I trip over a Mummers clip on TV, and all I can ask is "What were they thinking?!?"

Perhaps the native "Philluphians" can edumicate me a little?

BTW, I think I'll keep the avatar until the election...
    IIRC, many, MANY years ago I read the ingredients of a package of scrapple that my mother had "lovingly" prepared for a family meal. I swore, that I'd starve before I ever ate that vile substance again.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I remember Roman Gabriel! Italian, right? Seriously, I certainly remember him as quarterback of the LA Rams, and that he quarterbacked at NC State. Played against my hero and Duke grad Sonny Jurgensen!

Question: Who was the only team that could hold Sonny Jurgensen to less than 250 yards passing? Answer: Duke (and Coach Bill Murray)!
    Both Sonny Jurgensen and Roman Gabriel graduated from my high school: New Hanover High School in Wilmington. They both played high school football under the tutelage of the legendary Coach Leon Brogden.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    But Jurgensen did get to QB in the Orange Bowl!

The best thing about Philly is that it is closer to 30% of my nieces and nephews than Kansas but that wasn't an option.

It was also a gateway to two wonderful European vactiaons - also not an option.

I have no real experience with the options so I didn't vote.

Roman Gabriel is of Filipino ancestry, although that didn't stop Hollywood from casting him as an Apache.

When I got back from the b-b game Saturday, I had a message on my machine. It was a Robo-call from Roman Gabriel inviting me to a McCain Victory Rally in Fayetteville sometime this week. Inasmuch as I have been a registered Democrat since 1971 and have never done, said, or written anything that would remotely suggest that I would be receptive to such a call, I found it amusing. Nothing like getting the other side to squander their resources.

But I digress. RG actually seems like a nice guy.

IIRC, many, MANY years ago I read the ingredients of a package of scrapple that my mother had "lovingly" prepared for a family meal. I swore, that I'd starve before I ever ate that vile substance again.
    Here's what Wiki says (NSFFS - Not Suitable For Full Stomach). Yuck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Yes, hot dogs and sausage are made out of the same stuff. Yes, that makes me a hypocrite with double standards. I don't care. (I won't say "sue me" - made that mistake once - too many lawyers on DBR!!) And I bet someone could pass it off as sausage if they were in a diner at 2AM after a night on the town...

P.S. Veggie scrapple?!? Someone is making that up, right?

Wait, this is a Philadelphia thread and no mention of scrapple so far? One of the Philly people should post something on the recipe thread.

I don't get the whole Mummers thing either. I'm told there's even a Mummer's museum. eeew. I have a hard time getting behind the concept of getting drunk and then getting dressed up in sequins and feathers on Halloween, let alone New Years Day.
    Hmmm... so I guess I shouldn't post any pictures of myself in sequins...

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    I voted steak sandwich, but was looking for ...

TASTYKAKE
    Wait?!? I'm confused. Tastykake's are not national? I live in South Central PA and have always seen Tastykakes. So you are telling me they dont exist everywhere?? What a travesty. I had no idea. I feel bad for all of you out of range of obtaining Tastykakes on a daily basis.

Unhappy Sad, but true

Quote Originally Posted by Ben63 View Post
    Wait?!? I'm confused. Tastykake's are not national? I live in South Central PA and have always seen Tastykakes. So you are telling me they dont exist everywhere?? What a travesty. I had no idea. I feel bad for all of you out of range of obtaining Tastykakes on a daily basis.
    Thanks.

We could get them in northern New Jersey. Here in Kentucky, no earthly way. In Atlanta, no earthly way.

Besides, the further away you go, the less fresh the 'kakes get. You also run across HOSTESS/DollyMadison/Entemanns territories.

HOWEVER, thanks to the miracle of the internets, you can order them direct from Philly.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Here's what Wiki says (NSFFS - Not Suitable For Full Stomach). Yuck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

Yes, hot dogs and sausage are made out of the same stuff. Yes, that makes me a hypocrite with double standards. I don't care. (I won't say "sue me" - made that mistake once - too many lawyers on DBR!!) And I bet someone could pass it off as sausage if they were in a diner at 2AM after a night on the town...

P.S. Veggie scrapple?!? Someone is making that up, right?
    That's even worse than I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Thanks.

We could get them in northern New Jersey. Here in Kentucky, no earthly way. In Atlanta, no earthly way.

Besides, the further away you go, the less fresh the 'kakes get. You also run across HOSTESS/DollyMadison/Entemanns territories.

HOWEVER, thanks to the miracle of the internets, you can order them direct from Philly.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Saw them at Jersey Mike's yesterday. Ymm, Tastykakes.

Saw them at Jersey Mike's yesterday. Ymm, Tastykakes.
    Well yeah, Jersey Mike's will do it... unfortunately, I've had bad experiences at Jersey Mike's.

Well, it ain't scrapple!

I think the best thing about the city is that when you approach the airport from the south, you don't have to go into the city.

Roman Gabriel is a friend of mine. I have a cherished possession of an LA Rams helmet, turned into a lamp, that is autographed by him, a gift for the accomplishment of a birthday. A very accessible fellow, he resides in Myrtle Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    Yup Jim's on South is one of the best. Tony Lukes is great too.

The Amoroso's rolls make the sandwich. People here in NC don't understand when I complain about the rolls served up aroudn here. Whenever we travel back home I like to stop at a WaWa and pick up a package of Amoroso's rolls and some Tastycakes.

Oh another thing that's great about Philly. WaWa. Sheetz can suck it.
    Precisely! The Amoroso roll is the reason that you can't duplicate a real Philly cheesesteak elsewhere. The meat, cheese (Whiz preferred) and onions are easy...the Amoroso roll is absolutely irreplaceable. In 1982 Clark DeLeon of the Philadephia Inquirer wrote a column about me because a friend and I made a big stained glass cheesesteak to honor this splendid sandwich. It was the least we could do.

Gotta put plugs in for the Italian Market (incredible food place, one of the best in the entire country), Jim's, and the cheap seats at the old Vet.
    Regarding scrapple (which is a wonderful thing): it has a direct cousin in some of the old North Carolina products...there is or was a company called Garrard's (spelling?) which made Souse Meat and C-Loaf.

Both contained pork lips, ears, and snouts...and of course liver, which is often the predominant flavor of scrapple (along with nice spices).

To those who choose to sneer at scrapple ingredients, I can only say that they're absolutely no worse than what's in the typical, even upscale, hotdog. It's definitely not pork tenderloin.