I saw a sneak of a film coming to theaters soon and when it comes to a theater near you, you simply must see it.

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a Holocaust story, but one told from a completely different perspective than I have ever seen before. It takes place from the perspective of a young boy, 8 year old Bruno, who is the son of Concentration Camp commander.

This boy slowly learns bits and pieces about what is really happening at the "farm" that is near his family's home but never really comes to understand the whole truth. With no one around except his older sister and some gruff Nazi guards, the Bruno eventually makes friends with one of the Jewish boys, also 8 years old, who is being held at the camp. This boy, Schmuel, is as endearing and emotional a character as you will see on screen this year.

The movie was slow, especially in the first half, but builds tremendously in the final 30 minutes. I was a bit bothered that our view of the concentration camp was so limited. At times I was aching for something more to happen but then I remembered that we were experiencing this through the eyes of a boy who would never be able to get close to the real horror of what was going on. It is a compelling perspective, that of a young German child, and one has really been unexplored on film in the past.

There is some fine acting, particularly from the young actors who must carry the picture. David Thewlis (best known as Remus Lupin in the Harry Potter movies) is the only real recognizable actor here which is actually good because it makes the characters all the more real. The woman who plays Bruno's mother is especially good too.

I am not sure I want to say more than to just urge people to see it. But, I will say this-- about halfway through the picture I wondered how there could possibly be a satisfying ending. Well, to the great credit of the writer (it is based on a book), they came up with an ending that is as pitch-perfect as I have ever seen in film. I am serious, this is as powerful and moving an ending as you will experience in a theater. Rest assured, it is a film that will leave you wanting to talk about it after it is done.

One final word of warning-- make no mistake, this is a Holocaust film even if it does not explore the most gruesome images of that time period like Schindler's List did. It is not suitable for children even though the main characters are children. Maybe a sophisticated and educated 12 or 13 year old could handle it but I think it is better suited for no one under about 15. I do think it is extremely educational and thought provoking and I look forward to showing it to my kids in a few years.

See it. Trust me. Truly an unforgettable film. I suspect you will hear it mentioned a bit when award season rolls around.

-Jason "you can see the trailer here" Evans