Thread: Goog 411

Goog 411

Google has a free 411 service. Have any of you seen or used this?. It's free and one of the cooler things that Google has come up with. (IMO)

You call a number on your cell, Google answers and says "What town and state?" You tell google Morgantown, WV or Washington, DC or whatever (Not sure ifd everytown in the US works).

Google says something like "what service would you like?" You say whatever you are interested in, like "barbecue" (I haven't really tried "barbecue") or movie theatre or barber shop. Goggle then gives you a list over the phone. 1,2,3,4,5 . You then pick the one you want. Say "3" and Google will connect your phone to that one.

And it can send maps to you too.

http://www.google.com/goog411/

It's free!

PS. Sorry if this has already been discussed. I just found out about it.
    ~rthomas

It came out in sometime in 2007 and I've been using it for awhile. It's great. You can have it text the business info to your cell for free, which I like b/c it allows me to not have to use my brain.

Unfortunately for my employer, it puts regular 411 to shame.

There's also 1-800-CALL-411 (from another large tech company.)

Same services - and my favorite feature - if you call it back, it remembers your previous search, and asks if you want the information again.

It's only failed one search - couldn't find "Duke Athletic Department" when I needed to call about leaving my Duke vs. Miami tickets at home on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    There's also 1-800-CALL-411 (from another large tech company.)
    You are shameless my dear. :-)

I hadn't heard of this, but I will probably use it exclusively from here on out. Thanks for the heads up.

Been using it for over a year, love it.

And another one

There is also 800-373-3411 for free information on your cell (or regular phone). You do have to listen to a short ad before you can get your number. I've used it several times successfully on my cell.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

It's only failed one search - couldn't find "Duke Athletic Department" when I needed to call about leaving my Duke vs. Miami tickets at home on the table.
    Just in case you ever need them again -

Duke ticket office: 877-375-BLUE (3853)
    Iron Duke office: 919-613-7575
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Just in case you ever need them again -

Duke ticket office: 877-375-BLUE (3853)
    Iron Duke office: 919-613-7575
    Thanks, Ozzie! Actually, a nice woman in the CLT airport let me borrow her laptop+wifi connection to look it up.

Scary thought

How soon before our students start looking for their information through these services?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    How soon before our students start looking for their information through these services?
    Perhaps it would be more accurate to say "How soon before you realize your students are already looking for information through these services?"

Thanks, Ozzie! Actually, a nice woman in the CLT airport let me borrow her laptop+wifi connection to look it up.
    This is one of the many reasons why I'm moving back.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    There is also 800-373-3411 for free information on your cell (or regular phone). You do have to listen to a short ad before you can get your number. I've used it several times successfully on my cell.
    It's easier to remember that number as 1-800-FREE411. And actually this number has business, gov't, and residential listings, while the Google # just has business listings. You can also use Free-411 to get Mapquest directions texted to your cell -- still for free.

Jay
    Jingle Networks
    http://www.free411.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jay411 View Post
    It's easier to remember that number as 1-800-FREE411.
    Maybe, but in the contract for my soul, Google requires that I only use their suite of services.