Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Crazies, Step it Up!

I'm not calling out the Crazies -- just looking to ignite the fire. Like most of you, I am REALLY hoping we can add Harrison Barnes to our potentially legendary 2010 recruiting class. The "Marshall Plumlee, Come to Duke" and various "See you soon" type chants for Ryan and Josh at the Blue-White game were kinda lame. There was a small group of students that chimed in, but it was quiet and died pretty fast. I was sitting behind Ryan, and by the time he and his friend realized what was being chanted, it was over. They just shrugged a little (he might've waved). We have to make Harrison feel at home this weekend, so his other visits are just going through the motions.

I don't know what the correlation is between CIS greetings and eventual commitments, but I remember some pretty rousing greetings in recent years that led to happy outcomes (e.g., Lance).

So, Crazies, spread the word that he will be there, and show him that no other arena comes close to our house!!

in fairness there is never a cameron crazie section for the blue-white game due to the ticketing nature of the event. The first game with the crazies in full effect will be next game.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    in fairness there is never a cameron crazie section for the blue-white game due to the ticketing nature of the event. The first game with the crazies in full effect will be next game.
    This weekend is parent's weekend, so there will be a lot of parents in the student section on Saturday. I wouldn't expect the student section to be in "full effect."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    No excuse. This year there was the normal allotment of student seats for undergrads at the B/W scrimmage. The reason it is normally a ticketed game is because it normally falls on parents weekend (at least it did all 4 years I was there). This year parents weekend is a later weekend and I was able to sneak in with a duke card (score!).

A made up mind is a made up mind

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty1911 View Post
    I don't know what the correlation is between CIS greetings and eventual commitments, but I remember some pretty rousing greetings in recent years that led to happy outcomes (e.g., Lance).
    Shaheen Holloway (1996 UCLA game), Chris Weber (1991 LSU game) -- proof that neither Cameron nor the student serenades don't sway the made up mind.

Seriously, those were special special days in the middle of February when it was 10 degrees with snow on the ground in Chris and Shaheen's home towns while 75 and sunny in Durham, the house was rocking more than most UNC games, and we beat the stuffing out of a national powerhouse (even in 96).

That said, it's better than ignoring the guy. Give him a good cheer CC's.

I think a few things contributed to that (I was one of those chanting for them and others).

1. It was hard to keep cheers going when there were only seconds between the songs on the PA system. (I really, really hope that doesn't continue for actual games. Nothing should shield the other team from our heckling!)

2. If I recall, a couple of the visits were unannounced/changed the day, and thus people weren't sure if they were there or not. Usually such information makes it onto the cheer sheets, which helps make sure everyone joins in.

Seriously, I hope the music was a one-time thing. Virginia Union will be a different story, and Lenoir-Rhyne even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    and Lenoir-Rhyne even more so.
    If it is any incentive, Rick Barnes (Clemson, now Texas) is a Lenoir-Rhyne grad!

Quote Originally Posted by III View Post
    I think a few things contributed to that (I was one of those chanting for them and others).

1. It was hard to keep cheers going when there were only seconds between the songs on the PA system. (I really, really hope that doesn't continue for actual games. Nothing should shield the other team from our heckling!)

2. If I recall, a couple of the visits were unannounced/changed the day, and thus people weren't sure if they were there or not. Usually such information makes it onto the cheer sheets, which helps make sure everyone joins in.

Seriously, I hope the music was a one-time thing. Virginia Union will be a different story, and Lenoir-Rhyne even more so.
    Personally, I think the real issue is that for blue/white a lot of the students in attendance were freshmen, who are unfamiliar with the normal cheers, much less those that are geared towards specific players they know nothing about. That prevents the cheers from catching on (cheer sheets usually don't make a difference about what catches on once a cheer is started). Many of the upperclassmen were at tailgate, or chose to do work before the football game. Not really saying this is an excuse, but just trying to shed some light on why it was particularly weak.

WE WANT HARRISON! clap,clap-clap,clap,clap!

Talking Just a few thoughts

I'm sure I'll get lambasted for this post...so be it.

My daughter and son-in-law were Class of 2001. Perhaps the most amazing years of DukeBB, despite their angst of only one NC.

For the past couple of years, we've been concerned about the lack of creativity and missing excitement of the Cam Crazies.

So...students...get with the program!! There is an AMAZING tradition to uphold! Put your incredible minds to work...on new cheers...on welcoming potential recruits...on continuing making CIS the most dreaded place for an opposing team to frequent. Do us proud.

Hey, kids. You're not called the Cameron Crazies for nothin'. Show us your commitment. Show us your spunk. Show us your ability to truly live up to the tradition of a Cameron Crazie.

Quote Originally Posted by bdh21 View Post
    No excuse. This year there was the normal allotment of student seats for undergrads at the B/W scrimmage. The reason it is normally a ticketed game is because it normally falls on parents weekend (at least it did all 4 years I was there). This year parents weekend is a later weekend and I was able to sneak in with a duke card (score!).
    Where to start... ummm no, the undergrads did not have thier normal alotment of seats. People had tickets for Section 17. What section is that, you ask? Why, its the undergrad side of Cameron. Consequently, I find it difficult to believe that the undergrads had thier full alotment of tickets. Perhpas I'm wrong and these tickets were sold or given out minutes before the game began and the undergrads hadn't filled thier seats... but I doubt it.

For the record, Parent's Weekend isn't later... the Blue-White was a week earlier than normal. Remember, the first practice was last Friday. There is usually a week of ractice before Blue-White.

As far as telling the Crazies to step it up... are you guys serious? Really? After Blue-White? Look, I get that it would be great for us to get all of our big time recruits, but you can't truly believe that on Parent's weekend, with half of the student section filled with Duke families, that there's gonna be some raucous atmosphere for a D-II scrimmage.

As I've said many times before, and I'm sure I'll say many times again, the student section in Cameron is fluid... each generation of students makes it thier own. If you don't like that, tough. Yes, they all get that there is tradition, and yes, they all think they're creative. Heck, I thought we pulled off some of the best and most creative cheers and pranks in the history of that place, but you can't expect everyone to do it how you did it, or how it "should" be done. As long as its reasonably respectful and enthusiastic, that's where it needs to be.

If you want to say, "Hey Crazies... Player X is coming this weekend, try to make him feel welcome," then that's great. If you want to say, "Hey Crazies... Player X is coming this weekend, and you need to get off your pathetic butts and do something about it," just keep that nonsense to yourself. First off, its kind of rude. Second, ussually that kind of stuff doesn't work too well as a motivational tool.

Harrison Barnes visit reminder - CC's be ready

I just wanted to remind the students and or Cameron Crazies that a key prospect, Harrison Barnes will be in for a visit this weekend. He will attend the Virginia Union game and I hope that Cameron is rocking and that you give him a very warm welcome.

Barnes is a rising senior and is bright and very advanced on the basketball court. While his decision is expected to come later, let's make sure he knows he is wanted at Duke. He's easily one of the top five players in the country in his class.

Whoops! I didn't see the exisiting thread. Could we get Harrison Barnes name in the thread title???
    Last edited by watzone; 10-22-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Existing thread

Isn't Barnes a junior, not a senior?

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius07 View Post
    Isn't Barnes a junior, not a senior?
    Oh my goodness, he is right! Watzone... I never thought I would see the day (shakes head sadly)

Yes he is a junior. Brain pfewt.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    Where to start... ummm no, the undergrads did not have thier normal alotment of seats. People had tickets for Section 17. What section is that, you ask? Why, its the undergrad side of Cameron. Consequently, I find it difficult to believe that the undergrads had thier full alotment of tickets. Perhpas I'm wrong and these tickets were sold or given out minutes before the game began and the undergrads hadn't filled thier seats... but I doubt it.
    By bad on the normal allotment, but there was space for more students to swipe in as the scrimmage was starting, so presumably all the undergrads that wanted to be at the B/W scrimmage were in Cameron. Maybe there would have been more ugrads if so many hadn't skipped the scrimmage for tailgate but who knows.

For the record, Parent's Weekend isn't later... the Blue-White was a week earlier than normal. Remember, the first practice was last Friday. There is usually a week of ractice before Blue-White.
    Regardless of which event got moved, Parents' Weekend is later in the year than the B/W scrimmage this year. Normally Parents' preclude any seats from being open to undergrads without tickets, but even without the full allotment, there were still plenty of undergrads that entered without a ticket.

As far as telling the Crazies to step it up... are you guys serious? Really? After Blue-White? Look, I get that it would be great for us to get all of our big time recruits, but you can't truly believe that on Parent's weekend, with half of the student section filled with Duke families, that there's gonna be some raucous atmosphere for a D-II scrimmage.
    I can't argue with that.

Trying to get it really loud this weekend will be tough, given that it is the Parent's Weekend game. You have a couple students who are going to be there, parents or not, lound and ready, a bunch of students who haven't been to a game before, and parents who may or may not be nearly as active and able to cheer. It's tough to get it to be an atmosphere like it'll be for any ACC game.

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    I just wanted to remind the students and or Cameron Crazies that a key prospect, Harrison Barnes will be in for a visit this weekend. He will attend the Virginia Union game and I hope that Cameron is rocking and that you give him a very warm welcome.

...While his decision is expected to come later, let's make sure he knows he is wanted at Duke. He's easily one of the top five players in the country in his class. ...
    Calling him a key prospect is understating it. He is an immediate starter, the kind of talent that is necessary for national championships. With Miles, Olek, Mason, Ryan and Josh, Harrison will not get stuck in the post. He will be a perfect fit in the high-octane offense and pressure D that Coach K used in the Olympics.

Let's make him feel welcome!

Is this an official visit?

Anyone know what other visits he has slated?

Quote Originally Posted by Huh? View Post
    Is this an official visit?

Anyone know what other visits he has slated?
    It's unofficial. He's paying his own way. Pretty impressive.

He's already unofficially visited Kansas for its midnight madness (now run at a more convenient 7-ish hour). I think that and Duke are his only currently slated unofficial visits.

Barnes is the one on the left in the white track suit. He's with '09 recruits Dom Cheek, Elijah Johnson, Michael Snaer and Xavier Henry. He scrimmaged with the current Kansas team and purportedly more than held his own. Great player and from all indications a great kid.

May he have the good sense not to become a Dukie.