Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Zoubs has to play to his strength, which is size, and not athleticism. Watching at Blue/White, and over the years, he has difficulty with the athletic play. Too often he gets a pass at knee or ankle level (not his fault, but that of his teammates). This is definitely something his teammates need to work on. There is no way Zoubs (or any big man) can convert that play. Also, he has a tendency to put the ball on the floor before shooting. He needs to catch and shoot to take advantage of his size. He does not appear to be able to do anything offensively from other than a stationary position, and so should not be expected to. Once the ball goes to the floor he becomes a small forward and he can't compete with small forwards. The trick with Zoubs is to put him into positions where his size can make the difference, but don't expect athleticism. Unfortunately, he is on a team with many fantastic athletes. I think he is more of a half court player on a full court team. When put in winning positions, he plays well. JMOO.
    I disagree with this. Everything depends on WHEN the ball arrives. A big must be able to catch low, and I am sure that Z can--he was a freakin goalie. The real issue is how one then brings the ball up to shoulder height, and then down to dribble position, if that is what one decides to do.

Now, it is one thing for Z to have had difficulty with the things you mention, I do not doubt the accuracy of your observations just your extrapolations from them, when the ball is delivered to him too late, and another to say that he can't do those things in the right circumstance. It is the right circumstance that I believe Z can create but it takes two to tango and I haven't seen his teammates dancing.

If the only option this team can generate is to wait a moment or two after the defense has arrived to throw it to Z when he has already completed his route to the middle of the lane, I agree that he is likely to have trouble capitalizing on that reception, or even making it.

However, no one would say that Henderson can shoot his jump shot off the dribble, but only if he slows down sufficiently to allow whatever space his bounce created to evaporate and then have to shoot over a taller defender who is optimally positioned and good off his feet. Now, Gerald, bless his heart, can make that play, and that is why I think he is really, really special. But, no one on this team is going to insist that that is the only time he can shoot.

If they continue to wait before they throw the ball inside, that is what Z's teammates are foisting upon him. I think that that is subpar play on their part not his.

Brian is TWENTY years old and is 7' 1" tall. He is the same age as Kyle Singler (1 month apart) and is the same age as the FRESHMAN Miles that uCon just expelled for groping a woman.

Brian has had foot issues since high school (2 surgeries within a year) and until this year, has never had anyone within 5 inches of his height or 40 pounds of his weight to practice against.

Even though he has just recently been pronounced "healthy," Brian admits that he does not have his conditioning or his leg strength back yet due to his recuperation from surgery this summer.

YET, we are critiquing this young man as a finished product? It is absolutely absurd to judge Brian based upon his performance in the Blue-White game, and nearly as absurd to judge his future based upon his injury-riddled past.

As Brian gets back into shape and finally gets to practice with the team at full speed and against a legitimate post defender, he will get much better. He is also growing into a huge body that will be a huge asset for the devils in many games this year.

Next year Brian will be a force. Brian will also be drafted by the NBA and will stick on some team's bench.

How much will Brian help this year? Who knows? It is a mystery. One that will be fun to watch. Why don't we band together to cheer for the young man rather than (unfairly) pick his game apart?

My first hope is that Zoubs remains healthy this year so that he gets a fair shot. My second hope is that he makes a real contribution, and I am optimistic that he can do so.