Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calling all Academics

A while back, we talked about establishing a discussion group for academics among the DBR regulars. A few of us expressed interest, but then colchar dropped the ball. He and I decided yesterday that it's time to get things rolling. Several questions:

-Who's in?
    -Do we want to use a Yahoo group, Google group, or something else?
    -Is this a DBR-only thing, or will we invite some others in?
    -Does anyone have any other suggestions/requests?

Folks who want in, post here or send me a PM. Also, please make sure that any DBR academics who might want to participate, but who don't necessarily frequent the OTB, know what's going on (although I'd say we should think long and hard about including anyone who doesn't frequent the OTB).
    Anyway, hopefully we can get this up and running soon.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    I'm in (obviously).

I'm swamped today so this will be the only chance I have to post on the boards. I'll get into this thread either much later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

As in the previous attempt, I'm in as well.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Are all the other academics here on sabbatical or something?

I'll be in.
    ~rthomas

I have no idea what I could possibly contribute, but I suppose I'm in.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I have no idea what I could possibly contribute, but I suppose I'm in.
    As someone who has gone through the PhD to tenure track process, you'll be our guru (as will anyone else who has already gone through that process).

Abd

I have less to contribute than throaty. But I'm in.

(Finished data collection for dissertation this week..woohoo.)

The collegiality couldn't help but be better than the faculty lounge variety, so count me in. I've got a few rants to contribute.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Sure, I'm game. What are we discussing anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Sure, I'm game. What are we discussing anyway?
    Anything. The state of academia. Coping strategies. The job search process. The tenure process. Tips for remaining focussed and on-track while writing a dissertation (Wilson and I are PhD candidates - at least I am and Wilson will be really soon when he's finished acing his comps and we could both probably use some help in this area because I know I definitely do). Pep talks to keep people in the game. Promotion issues. Tips for dealing with colleagues and/or committees. Conference advice. Networking advice. Teaching tips. As I said - anything.

We've got experts in everything here at DBR (part of what makes this place so unique and so special) but those of us in academia are in something of a unique situation and it never hurts to hear from, and get advice from, those who are in the same boat.

This can be a place to commiserate, I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., cajole, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    A while back, we talked about establishing a discussion group for academics among the DBR regulars. A few of us expressed interest, but then colchar dropped the ball.
    Yeah, I definitely dropped the ball on this one.

Several questions:
    -Do we want to use a Yahoo group, Google group, or something else?
    Anything works for me. I wonder if we could set up something ourselves in the same vein as basketball game discussions? And might it be an idea to find some bulletin board system we can use so that we can continue discussions as we do here on DBR without having to schedule specific times to chat which might not fit into everyone's schedules?

-Is this a DBR-only thing, or will we invite some others in?
    Why don't we start with a DBR thing to get it rolling and then we can invite others to join us as I'm sure we all know a ton of academics who would be interested in something like this.

Also, please make sure that any DBR academics who might want to participate, but who don't necessarily frequent the OTB, know what's going on (although I'd say we should think long and hard about including anyone who doesn't frequent the OTB).
    Yeah, we definitely need to spread the word throughout the DBR community.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebutton View Post

(Finished data collection for dissertation this week..woohoo.)
    Congrats. I conducted my major research trip this past summer (I loved being able to spend a few months back home in Britain while justifying it as 'work') and am now in the post-research slump. You're gonna love spending a whole lotta time doing absolutely nothing (it is very similar to the post-comps slump but there is certainly more guilt involved than there is after comps when even your committee expects you to slack off for a couple of months).

Motivation

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    You're gonna love spending a whole lotta time doing absolutely nothing (it is very similar to the post-comps slump but there is certainly more guilt involved than there is after comps when even your committee expects you to slack off for a couple of months).
    Yes. I was pretty slumpish in 07 when an absented minded prof resulted in my having to do my orals twice, and then the human subjects review board choked on its own lack of federal compliance. But I've got a baby on the way in 09, so I'm highly motivated to try and get a draft out before it comes. I might fall off the wagon for a day or two, but nothing like the weeks/months last year.

Here's to getting the diss out the door before the baby arrives!

I'd like to join. I am at the dissertation phase, and have been having fun with my chair trying to get my department to approve a new course - so I feel like I've already been through some of the battles of real academics.

Smile Battlestar Academia

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I'd like to join. I am at the dissertation phase, and have been having fun with my chair trying to get my department to approve a new course - so I feel like I've already been through some of the battles of real academics.
    Ahhh... the dissertation writing phase. That's the time in life where your reflex to any question is: I'll be done by the end of this academic year.

Have you gotten to the phase where you have to document all of your teaching, service, and research?

Suggestion: If you haven't already, sit in on any teaching portfolio seminar you can. Do it sooner, rather than later.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I'm a mostly-lurker, but I'm in. I'm currently a post-doc, trying to keep non-TT job options in mind.

battle-scarred veterans wanted?

I was an academician in a former life and might be able to contribute. I've been on more search committees than I care to count, which means I might be able to give advice to those of you on the job-searching end of things.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I was an academician in a former life and might be able to contribute. I've been on more search committees than I care to count, which means I might be able to give advice to those of you on the job-searching end of things.
    Battle-scarred veterans are more than welcome as they (you) will be full of information for the rest of us.

Any progress on this?