Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Class

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    If you're going to go into academic administration, you'll have a whole lot of BS to deal with.
    Oh I know that. It is the same everywhere (corporate world, self-employed, etc.) so you can never escape it. It will just be a different kind of BS from that which I am experiencing now...and I am really really sick of that.

I've been thinking about this for a while so this isn't some snap decision or anything.

Then again, I know staff at all three of the universities that I am most likely to end up working for and most of them love their jobs. Even the least happy of them likes their job and is only unhappy because they want to stay in their current department but have reached the ceiling there so would need to move elsewhere on campus if they were to go after a promotion or whatever - and that is more an issue with them being too comfortable than a university issue of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Then again, I know staff at all three of the universities that I am most likely to end up working for and most of them love their jobs. Even the least happy of them likes their job and is only unhappy because they want to stay in their current department but have reached the ceiling there so would need to move elsewhere on campus if they were to go after a promotion or whatever - and that is more an issue with them being too comfortable than a university issue of any kind.
    True that - I *love* working on campus and I don't even do anything that important. You get a free gym membership, access to all kinds of wonderful cultural events, state retirement (sometimes), cheap insurance, and you get to meet great people in other departments. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to work in academia, other than the less-than-stellar pay.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    True that - I *love* working on campus and I don't even do anything that important. You get a free gym membership, access to all kinds of wonderful cultural events, state retirement (sometimes), cheap insurance, and you get to meet great people in other departments. I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to work in academia, other than the less-than-stellar pay.
    Up here, the pay scales seem pretty good - especially once you get into management roles. I'm actually thinking of applying for any upcoming jobs that seem even remotely interesting and then finishing my PhD part-time. I figure with an MA, work experience, and having taken at least one of my degrees at each of the schools I should be in a decent position to be hired. If I can start a career in administration sometime over the next few months I will definietly do so.

Quote Originally Posted by blublood View Post
    I agree with all of what you said. As for the "less-than-stellar pay," I have been to lots of professors' homes in at least four cities over the years, and every last one of them was quite nice. That tells me essentially everything I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    That is true, but it will primarily be BS you have created yourself.
    The spaces and places void of BS and Politics are very few and far between in any working environment. I'd slay a cute, furry bunny rabbit or two just to have just a month of college days back to re-live.

Still, I know it sucks not getting a paycheck, benefits and such.

I wish I could levitate.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

Still, I know it sucks not getting a paycheck, benefits and such.
    We get paid in grad school, if you can call it that. We also get benefits, but they stink. Still, better than nothing.