Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Hap Hairston is nobody! Played on the Lakers when they broke the regular season winning record. It does appear Kramer outplayed Art and Jeff but not enough to get the W.
    Hairston did not play that year. He played Kramer's senior year. He was out Kramer's junior year, either with injury or due to academics.

Kramer was injured before the start of his senior season and played hurt all year (think Paulus dragging that broken foot around). He and Hairston did not mesh well together in any event. Hairston, if I remember correctly, did not have a particularly memorable final year either. His return came with much hype; he must have been super as a sophomore. However, he was far from "all that" on his return.

You may be correct,but who is Harold Hairston in this box score?
    http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=19630315

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    You may be correct,but who is Harold Hairston in this box score?
    http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=19630315
    That would be Happy. I just came back on to correct my post--did some Googling and saw that he played in 1962.

I could swear that I remember Happy missing the season before Barry graduated, which is when I remember Barry doing great things. Did I tell you I don't remember so good anymore? I do remember how sweet that jump shot was, off a reverse dribble, starting to his right, turning back to his left with his back to the basket, taking a dribble, and then hanging. That I'm pretty sure about.

If anybody is any good at finding stats, was '62 Kramer's sophomore year and did Happy miss the '62-63 season?

Anyway, Barry was great. So was Art!

The best I came up with was this: Kramer was great his sophomore year, which was 1962; made first team AA. In 63, he averaged 29 plus per game, 2d in the nation in scoring. That was the year NYU played Duke in the Regionals. NYU lost by 5 and Kramer scored 34.

His senior year he made AA again, averaging like 22 per game, and was drafted 7; Happy went 8 in the second round. Barry did little his one year in the NBA; was traded to NY shortly after the season began and scored a total of 183 or so points. Had a cup of coffee in the ABA, a real quick one, and went on to medical school. Postscript: he lives in the Albany NY area and plays ball in an over 50 league--heard that at my most recent college reunion from a fellow gym rat who unbelievably to me is still lacing em up too.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet that Happy was hurt much of the 62-63 season. I remember seeing NYU at the Garden with no Happy one year, which might well have been during the 62-63 holiday festival, and then the next year when Happy's return was being touted. Like I said, I don't remember too good anymore. Could be wrong (you think). This is fun guys, thanks.

Trivia question: Who's the best known and most athletically accomplished Jewish college basketball player? And it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by dkbaseball View Post
    Trivia question: Who's the best known and most athletically accomplished Jewish college basketball player? And it's not even close.
    Sandy Koufax?

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Sandy Koufax?
    Correct.