Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scheyer to play in 2009 Maccabiah Games

Jon Scheyer named to the 12-member U.S. team that will compete at the 18th Maccabiah Games in Israel from July 12-23, 2009

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs...EEKEND_ROUNDUP

google tells me that the coach will be bruce pearl

Mazel tov!

Best of luck, Jon!!
    "Goddess of wisdom"

Is Jordan Farmar playing?

What about Dolph Schayes?

--Jason "anyone remember The Jewish Jordan, Tamir Goodman" Evans

IRRC, Bob Fleischer played in the Games back in the 70's,

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

Tamir is a sad story. I believe he is currently playing for Maccabi Tel Aviv B. He really was an awesome player in high school.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

You Forgot

Neal Walk,Lennie Rosenbluth,Ernie Grunfeld, Larry Brown and Dolph's son Danny

Perhaps the best American player at the Maccabiah Games over the years was Tal Brody. Brody was an outstanding guard at Illinois in the 60's and a draft choice of the Bullets. After playing in the games, he decided to pass up the NBA to play in Israel. He was a star for many years and continued to live in Israel after playing.

gw67

How about ...?

Duke's own Art Heyman in 1961.

Probably the best BB player ever in the Maccabiah Games!

Thumbs up

I will 2nd that

Did Barry Krammer, NYU and player of the year in Heyman's era, play? If so, I'd have taken him over Art; guy just hung in the air shooting a completely one handed jump shot off a reverse dribble at the top of the key. No one could hang with him, no one, and the shot was money. Hurt his ankle badly at the start of his senior year, when NYU was favored as Happy Hairston, who went on to have a fine pro career, came off academic ineligibility. But, the ankle never healed and Barry never achieved the heights (literally) that his steller Junior year portended.

I had a good friend who won the high jump in the 64 games. Saw him 30 years later, he gave me a big hug, and whispered, "You just hugged a guy who was once the highest jumping Jew in the world." Bob Steinberg is the guy's name.

Good for Jon. Back in the day, there were some great Jewish players who never had such opportunities. Some, like Marty Glickman, a world class sprinter who also was a terrific guard at least in high school, were cut out of the Olympics because of their religion--Glickman was probably second only to Owens but was left off the team because those in charge of the Amercian Olypimpic team would not take the heat. Jon, the way he plays the game, does honor to what those old timers brought to the game. I think it's great that he is going to play!

Art Heyman played against NYU and Barry Kramer. I think Duke won. I could not tell you the year or the score or the individual stats. I wonder if Heyman and Larry Brown ever talked to one another after their massive brawl in the Duke UNC game in 61 or 62.

To borrow a line from my friend Arnie, the problem with Tamir is that instead of having the quickness of the Jewish Jordan he moved like the River Jordan.

BTW - nice blurb about Lance Stephenson in that link from the OP. "Arrested for groping a woman’s breast and buttocks while over her clothing while inside the school." Hard to believe that Bob McKillop cut him from the national team this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by steven52682 View Post
    Tamir is a sad story. I believe he is currently playing for Maccabi Tel Aviv B. He really was an awesome player in high school.
    Just because Goodman dominated embarrassingly inferior competition did not make him an awesome high school player, or an awesome player period. I guess he was "awesome" compared to his opponents, but he was way overhyped.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Art Heyman played against NYU and Barry Kramer. I think Duke won.
    Duke won - 81 - 76 in the NCAA semi-finals in 1963. (That was the first round of the tournament as the NCAA's was a 16 team tourney at that time.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=19630315

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Just because Goodman dominated embarrassingly inferior competition did not make him an awesome high school player, or an awesome player period. I guess he was "awesome" compared to his opponents, but he was way overhyped.
    I can't find a link, but Goodman participated in th 5-star basketball camp (the premier one, or one of those other prime time camps) after his Junior year of high school. Despite coming in ranked at the bottom of attendees, he made the all star game by the time the camp was done.

Yes - he played against inferior competition, but when he played against top competition, he excelled. He played his senior year of high school in a very competitive DC league avg 25 ppg. Obviously Gary Williams saw something in him that led him to offer him a scholarship at some point.

He also played in the Jordan Capital Classic and prerformed very well, IIRC, maybe even winning the MVP.

...I think that qualifies as a pretty darn awesome high school player. I dont disagree that he was overhyped - but that doesnt mean he wasnt an outstanding player.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    Did Barry Krammer, NYU and player of the year in Heyman's era, play? If so, I'd have taken him over Art; guy just hung in the air shooting a completely one handed jump shot off a reverse dribble at the top of the key. No one could hang with him, no one, and the shot was money. Hurt his ankle badly at the start of his senior year, when NYU was favored as Happy Hairston, who went on to have a fine pro career, came off academic ineligibility. But, the ankle never healed and Barry never achieved the heights (literally) that his steller Junior year portended.
    Barry Kramer was an AA, but never POY. Heyman was unanimous POY in 1963. Kramer never came close to the brilliance of Heyman as a college player.
    Last edited by Bay Area Duke Fan; 10-22-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Kramer v. Heyman

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Duke won - 81 - 76 in the NCAA semi-finals in 1963. (That was the first round of the tournament as the NCAA's was a 16 team tourney at that time.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...ameid=19630315
    This game was in the Eastern Regional semi-final in College Park, MD, not the NCAA semi-finals.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Barry Kramer was an AA, but never POY. Heyman was unanimous POY in 1963. Kramer never came close to the brilliance of Heyman as a college player.
    Kramer outscored Heyman 34 to 22 in a game that Duke, ranked number 2 in the country (that year, NYU had nobody but Barry, I mean, nobody), won by only a few points. If you saw them both play, and I did, Kramer was the vastly superior scorer. He was virtually unstoppable his Junior year when the two met in the Eastern Regionals.

He hurt his ankle badly before his senior year and was a shadow of himself for the rest of his career.

But, if you saw him play as a Junior, you would NOT say that Heyman was superior in any way except for toughness (was there anyone tougher than Art?). Barry could jump like, sorry here folks, Billy K, and like I said, shot it from distance or mid range off the dribble, with that right hand extended at least half a foot above his head, or so it seemed, after hanging long enough for any defender to come down.

Art, as great as he was, could not throw the damn thing in the ocean.

You guys should have seen Edie Gard (CCNY) play. Too bad he was a crook. The most brilliant player I ever saw on the court, and that was only at Number 6 school in Lawrence, Long Island, where Gard ruled despite the presence of such other Jewish greats as Al Siden (All American '56) and Larry Brown. Wouldn't be surprised if your boy Art made it down to that court some too.

Hap Hairston is nobody! Played on the Lakers when they broke the regular season winning record. It does appear Kramer outplayed Art and Jeff but not enough to get the W.