Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Most exciting game in years

Win or lose, I was very impressed by almost everything I saw yesterday outside of our special teams play. The 2 point conversion, the on-side kick, using Asack to actually pass (and score), 2 plays in a row using RB's as passers (although neither got the ball off), even the last play of the game, which unfortunately was underthrown, but was still the right play. And all of this surrounded really solid playing by both offense and defense.

Our coaches pulled out all the stops. Yes we came up on the short end of the stick, but as our program matures and improves, those plays will more often succeed. It was EXCITING football, and I'm so glad I was in the stands to watch it. Cutcliffe proved that he will be often unconventional. I would rather be frustrated watching the unconventional than frustrated watching Duke of old.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Win or lose, I was very impressed by almost everything I saw yesterday outside of our special teams play. The 2 point conversion, the on-side kick, using Asack to actually pass (and score), 2 plays in a row using RB's as passers (although neither got the ball off), even the last play of the game, which unfortunately was underthrown, but was still the right play. And all of this surrounded really solid playing by both offense and defense.

Our coaches pulled out all the stops. Yes we came up on the short end of the stick, but as our program matures and improves, those plays will more often succeed. It was EXCITING football, and I'm so glad I was in the stands to watch it. Cutcliffe proved that he will be often unconventional. I would rather be frustrated watching the unconventional than frustrated watching Duke of old.
    Even though their execution continues to be inconsistent at times, this team is getting better. Saturday the staff was calling plays requiring more versatility than in the past... a sure sign the guys are progressing in the Cutcliffe system.

Watch out State!

Quote Originally Posted by formerdukeathlete View Post
    re kicking extra points and field goals, yes, Maggio is the shorter in guy, more accurate, beat out Surgan and Asack...my question was always, when at 40 yards, is he really better than Surgan? I guess the coaches, presume, expect, know the answer, or else would put Surgan in. But, I still wonder at 40 yards, Surgan has the killer leg.

Watched the game while Pitt Notre Dame was on the TV. Pitt ND was a game with 3 possessions in OT - field goals exchanged one after another, until Notre Dame finally missed one. Our game ended in the first OT possession with a poorly thrown long ball. Just as UVa's loss to Miami was due to a fumble on UVa's first OT possession. We started at the 25 yard line and only had to move the ball a little bit to be in high percentage field goal range - we only needed 3 to stay in the game. That long pass play was as bad from a decionmaking perspective as going for 2, imho.

Still 4 and 4 is great compared to prior years.
    Having watched Duke lose football games for years on missed field goals and extra points, I think going for the win in OT is the only strategy. Recall the Carolina game a few years ago when Surgan missed the extra point to go into OT and all the missed field goals in the past few years. Until we figure out special teams, lets go for the win.

o yes

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Even though their execution continues to be inconsistent at times, this team is getting better. Saturday the staff was calling plays requiring more versatility than in the past... a sure sign the guys are progressing in the Cutcliffe system.

Watch out State!
    Yes this should be an excellent game.

And This thread should be ended.

The game is over, no matter what Duke did or did'nt do in the game does not matter any more. They need a good showing against state, and they'll be right back in bowl hunt.

GO DUKE, and state

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    Yes this should be an excellent game.

And This thread should be ended.

The game is over, no matter what Duke did or did'nt do in the game does not matter any more. They need a good showing against state, and they'll be right back in bowl hunt.

GO DUKE, and state
    Coach Cutcliffe has said much the same thing. Yesterday's game films were reviewed and analyzed today, then put away. The practice late today was geared toward preparation for NC State.

Get your blues ready (high temps might make it to the mid 60's)! If you haven't bought a ticket yet for Saturday's game, do so. Practice the words to the fight songs. Review the cheers used when we play State. Plan your tailgate menu. But most of all, BE THERE! The best way you can show the coaches and the team that you support them is to show up at Wallace Wade on Saturday and cheer them on to BEAT STATE!