Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

yea

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I can't believe the negative comments I'm seeing here.

This team has come a long, long way. Going from the laughing stock of the ACC, to becoming a team which is competitive week in and week out and one which is just a play or two away from being even better than it currently is.

As has been already pointed out, winning takes time. It just doesn't happen overnight. Our squad is well coached and well conditioned, but while that can erase some of the differences between our competition and ourselves, it isn't a replacement for pure talent.

Coach Cut and has staff will be challenged to get some quality talent into the program, but if what we have seen on the field is any indication of the Coach's ability, then I believe he will be able to land some talented kids as well.
    Yes, none of these comments are negative. This is just what has happened and what the team needs to do to fix it. It's just criticism. And I think people on this board know what that is, since they shut the site down after the West Virginia loss.

yea

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I understand the frustration you're describing. Changing behavior is difficult. Anyone who's tried to change his golf swing is acquainted with how difficult the process can be. Just as the team members react with old behaviors when they least want to, fans react with their old behaviors and frustrations when it looks as if the old problems coming back or maybe never left. We've got to keep our eyes on the prize and not get sidetracked by the frustration which is inevitable this year.... and probably a while into the future. And since these are youngsters playing, we can expect some more frustrations even when we begin winning far more than we lose.

Homecoming 2009 will be the 50th. anniversary of my first Homecoming game at Duke. I can remember when the football team was nationally ranked and went to major bowls. I can also remember when Carolina, empowered following the death of their coach Jim Tatum, beat a Duke team 50 - 0. We had our sole winner of the Outland Trophy on that team and we still lost. But this is my program and I'm sticking to it!

GO DUKE!
    Yea you are exactly right.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post
    Yea you are exactly right.
    There is an art to offering constructive criticism. It's important to make it clear that the criticism is about the behavior, not the person.

THE HURRICANES WERE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE.....and while we didn't exactly let 'em off the hook, we could have won that game, by 10 points or more. There were a few key moments that had they gone Dukes way could have lead to a big Duke lead. What if we went for it on 4th and one and got it, gone into half-time with a 17-7 or 21-7 lead What if Tuailiili catches that interception and we score of it. Miami would be looking at a possible (and plausible) 35-7 or 35-14 deficit in the 3rd. Not insurmountable but really hard to get the momentum to come back and win.

I almost fell into old habits and I was ready to shrug my shoulders and write the team off for the rest of the season. Its an improved version of the same old Duke. Thats not a fair or accurate view nor is it one this team deserves. However, I'm going to choose to be frustrated. Frustrated because we could and maybe should have beaten Miami. If we just hope this team wins one of its next 1-2 games, what message does that send. Alright guys, give it your best shot but its ok if you lose because you sucked last year. Screw that. I know this team can win and I believe that with realistic expectations. So any Duke football players reading this board, listen up. You blew it against Miami and us Duke fans will not settle for almost, or turning the corner or any other pleasantry you want to throw up there. I expect you to go to Nashville, I expect you to take the field with a fire in your gut and dammit I expect you guys TO WIN! GO WIN!

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    THE HURRICANES WERE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE.....and while we didn't exactly let 'em off the hook, we could have won that game, by 10 points or more. There were a few key moments that had they gone Dukes way could have lead to a big Duke lead. What if we went for it on 4th and one and got it, gone into half-time with a 17-7 or 21-7 lead What if Tuailiili catches that interception and we score of it. Miami would be looking at a possible (and plausible) 35-7 or 35-14 deficit in the 3rd. Not insurmountable but really hard to get the momentum to come back and win.

I almost fell into old habits and I was ready to shrug my shoulders and write the team off for the rest of the season. Its an improved version of the same old Duke. Thats not a fair or accurate view nor is it one this team deserves. However, I'm going to choose to be frustrated. Frustrated because we could and maybe should have beaten Miami. If we just hope this team wins one of its next 1-2 games, what message does that send. Alright guys, give it your best shot but its ok if you lose because you sucked last year. Screw that. I know this team can win and I believe that with realistic expectations. So any Duke football players reading this board, listen up. You blew it against Miami and us Duke fans will not settle for almost, or turning the corner or any other pleasantry you want to throw up there. I expect you to go to Nashville, I expect you to take the field with a fire in your gut and dammit I expect you guys TO WIN! GO WIN!
    very valid point imo!!! in basketball, are we satisfied with we almost, we should have? the answer is no. and why shouldnt fans expect to win every time out? as far as miami having much better talent, that is an excuse. duke simply didnt execute in the second half, period!

i think winning two or three games the remainder of the season isnt out of the question, but as fans,we should expect that we would win every one! usually in this sport, you pretty much get what you expect!!

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post

WE ARE DUKE! We aren't going away!