Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unclassy Duke postings

I have to agree with Reisen on this one. I watched the whole GT/Memphis game after taping it, and saw the Geogetown player fling the ball towards the goal in what appeared to be sheer joy in the well deserved win. The ball hit the backboard and went in as a fluke shot. What's wrong with that?

Also, I watched a team that I predict we will not beat if our outside shooting fails us. Georgetown has the potential to be devastating under the basket against us, even if they got killed by Memphis on the offensive boards. I was shocked to see that the shortest guard for Memphis was like 6'7" or 6'8" in the starting lineup, and that certainly could have accounted for their rebound attack since almost all of their players crashed the boards at different times.

I also think that if Memphis' apparent street-ball style of play was not either inherent in their players and/or promoted by their coach, they would be the team to beat again this year. But, evidently, it will probably be their downfall again.

I also noted that pulling Monroe out from the basket just resulted in him moving toward the basket very aggresively and putting it up, or dishing very effectively to another very tall athletic player slashing to the basket. Oh, and for a tall guy, he hits his foul shots pretty well with a real nice stroke.

Georgetown is very, very good. From what I could see from both teams yesterday, however, is that they just seemed to throw the ball up at the basket a lot, and rely on the put-back to produce the points. Hence, the poor shooting stats on both sides. So considering that the vast majority of both team's shots were from very close in, the stats alone still don't reflect how bad their shooting really was.

Lastly, I believe it would improve the quality of posting on the boards if posters would try to take off their rose-colored glasses more often regarding our team, and try to be more objective. Acting in that manner is what usually separates us from other boards, and results in a superior experience for the members.

Just my 2 cents plus.

ricks

Monroe

Greg Monroe has been a fantastic player. I'll gladly eat crow and admit that he has been far better in college than he was in high school. That said...Monroe will not go for a Hansbrough like 30 and 20 against us. The limitations of the G'town system and the fact that we do have some size will allow us to at least hang with Monroe. To beat Duke, you need athletic outside scorers who will drive the lane and draw the defense, ie Manny Harris and Grady at Michigan. Chris wright, while a fantastic player, will be much easier for Nolan and Greg to stay in front of than either Harris or Grady were. Add in the fact that neither Summers,Sapp, or Freeman are exactly fleet of foot. No joke, Hummel and Moore at Purdue heads and shoulders more talented than any of the w/f that G'town have, and we did a decent job against those guys. We match up very well with G'town. Xavier on the other hand. Has the type of lineup and players (derrick brown) that can and will give our D fits.

Also...Memphis is just not a very good team. I don't think it's too much of a stretch or exaggeration to say that Michigan could be better than Memphis. Tyreke Evans is the definition of black hole.
    Last edited by studdlee10; 12-14-2008 at 01:02 PM.

[QUOTE=ricks68;230759]

I was shocked to see that the shortest guard for Memphis was like 6'7" or 6'8" in the starting lineup, and that certainly could have accounted for their rebound attack since almost all of their players crashed the boards at different times.
    Memphis has TWO guards over 6'5 and they are both 6'6, Tyreke Evans and Antonio Anderson - a very talented freshmen and a senior. On a guard heavy roster they have three at 6'2, one at 6'4, and three at 6'5. Only Tyreke and Anderson see significant minutes.

I also think that if Memphis' apparent street-ball style of play was not either inherent in their players and/or promoted by their coach, they would be the team to beat again this year. But, evidently, it will probably be their downfall again.
    A 'street' style that got them a conference championship, a #1 seed in the tourney, a Final Four appearence, and a trip to the National Championship game? Wait - what was their downfall again?

Ohhhh, maybe you mean THIS offense...

http://www.coachlikeapro.com/memphis...n-offense.html

which is a bit similar to a certain other team's offense...

http://coachingbetterbball.blogspot...n-offense.html

Quote Originally Posted by studdlee10 View Post
    Also...Memphis is just not a very good team. I don't think it's too much of a stretch or exaggeration to say that Michigan could be better than Memphis. Tyreke Evans is the definition of black hole, and none of the perimeter guys on Memphis seem to be able to create shots for others. Their interior play consists of one big guy (niles) who can barely run the full length of the corut without getting tired and 2 "posts" (Dozier and Taggart) that make Lance and Zoub look like they are on steriods. This is not a good team that G'town just beat. At home, in front of a big crowd...barely beating a bad Memphis team. I'm not impressed.
    Taking this one step further - they lost to Xavier recently. Not exactly a powerhouse.

the most interesting thing about this game, imo, was the coaching. I was with my GT guy, at mid court 10 rows up. it seemed the first half that georgetown wanted to establish its style of play, at least on offense, playing inside to monroe and getting 3s off inside out passes and rotation. wasn't happening.

georgetown ended up attacking the basket from the outside, which was what memphis wanted to do just about all the time, but was doing so reluctantly. not the second half.

the second half it seemed as if jtiii said, my boys wright and austin can attack the rim with anyone, anywhere. you give it to us, we're not just takin it, we're loving it. summers too.

and, attack they did and you know what, they were better at finishing then memphis. but here was the real genuis. he seemed to say to his guys, they're taller, we're stronger and smarter and we will get in their way and we will defensive rebound.

i have to tell you that the game would not have been close if the over-theback rule was called. it wasn't. just cause they're skinny and long, didn't mean those memphis guys weren't climbin. they were and it wasn't called. guys started getting bodies in the way and making significant contact to the flying tigers--huge difference. and summers, if he could get in the way he did, if he couldn't, he flew. monroe, he was a warrier.

the only fault i found with jtiii's strategy was, especially in the last 10 minutes, the ball was not going inside to monroe, especially early. sound familiar.

potg for georgetown, jtiii. the guy can coach em up. beat memphis at its own game, just like he did two years ago against unc.
    Last edited by SupaDave; 12-15-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    12/20: Xavier at the Meadowlands
    1/7: Davidson
    1/17: Georgetown

I see all three of those games as serious challenges which will make us better come March. I saw about the first eight or nine minutes of the Xavier game today and they will not be a pushover. The Atlantic 10 has developed into a strong basketball conference over the past few seasons. Stephen Curry scored 41 points in Davidson's 100-95 win over Chattanooga today. I watched Georgetown beat Memphis while throwing up three point brick after three point brick. On a different day, with a normal percentage of those three pointers going in, Georgetown runs Memphis out of the gym.
    "... three point brick after..."

where have I seen that recently...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    "... three point brick after..."

where have I seen that recently...
    Memphis is long and athletic and defnds the 3 well. You might get them, but not on terms that you have dictated, that you want, expect, which makes all the difference in the world.

Memhis relied to a ridiculous degree on their star freshman's getting to the rim, and everyone swarming the boards. He finishes much much more reliably going to his left. Going to his right, especially if you make him finish somewhat away from the rim, the power and speed of his attack at the basket works against him. Better to slow down and waltz-like one-two into a graceful hook, aka Princeton guys.

At any rate, it was remarkable how Calipari went with that single play almost exclusively the last 10 minutes. You have to think certain commitments were made. Nobody can stop the guy from bustin past people--think LeBron here folks, smaller but similar on the bust past, but you can keep him away from the rim if he goes right. The question is, can you keep the rest of them away as well. I think that Duke can.

Very clear to me way Calipari has and will continue to get top-level players. What player would not want to come to a team where they have the freedom to take any shot, play one on one and just play freely at all times? Don't have to worry about set plays they don't have to read and react they just have fun and play. To most it looks like street ball but it is better then running 30 seconds off the shot clock and over using the ball screen to get a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    Very clear to me way Calipari has and will continue to get top-level players. What player would not want to come to a team where they have the freedom to take any shot, play one on one and just play freely at all times? Don't have to worry about set plays they don't have to read and react they just have fun and play. To most it looks like street ball but it is better then running 30 seconds off the shot clock and over using the ball screen to get a shot.
    I'd have to think that the ohter ballers on this team are a tad put off by his insistent going to this guy like his name was Rose. He's bigger and stronger, gets inside the defense, but, at least against Georgetown, especially in the second half, was not getting high percentage shots at the rim, not for him. Guys like Dozer and Anderson have to wonder. I think he receruited No. 12 (sorry I don't remember the kid's name) as a one and done player and promised to give him the ball and let him break the offense down. The other guys do not possess the same freedom, or at least Calapari is not calling their number. He clearly was calling to get it to 12 and clear out. It didn't work.

In the second half, Wright finished at the basket, or a few steps away, much better than the Memphis kid, who is a man child. Going left I think he probably is much more difficult to stop. I say probably because it seemed that after the first 10 minutes, his opportunities going left were nearly non existent.

I think Duke handles this team. I'm talking Memphis here. Probably Georgetown too, but . . . .