View Poll Results: Peaches or Nectarines?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peaches (Fuzz)

6 31.58%
  • Nectarines (No Fuzz)

4 21.05%
  • Both (Depends on my mood)

9 47.37%
  • Neither (Who eats fruit?)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Peaches or Nectarines?

Does it really come down to fuzz vs no fuzz?

Nectarines are cleaner, slower rotting, and crisper to the bite. However, nothing beats a perfectly ripe peach in late summer.

Quote Originally Posted by pamtar View Post
    Nectarines are cleaner, slower rotting, and crisper to the bite.
    You got it. People know what they're getting with nectarines. Peaches are a mystery; even the ones that feel firm are potentially smushy on the inside, and no one wants a smushy peach. By then you've got to blend it and put it into something else, like jam or hard cider. Why else do you think there are so many peach-related products out there?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    all depends on how fuzzy my mood is.

Ever eaten a peach on the beach, man?

Peaches 'cuz you can't make a cobbler/crisp/ice cream/cereal topping/ale out of nectarines.

I love the taste of peaches, but even the thought of the fuzz on my tongue makes me squirm. Yes, I have some sensory issues.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
    I love the taste of peaches, but even the thought of the fuzz on my tongue makes me squirm.
    I have so many things I want to say. I'm going to bed before I get banned. Nite all!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I have so many things I want to say. I'm going to bed before I get banned. Nite all!
    A very wise and prudent decision.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Clearly you're channeling EJ or 2535.

When I lived on the East Coast, I loved peaches. Yum. But here in L.A. it's difficult to find a peach that isn't mealy, mushy or downright tasteless. So much to my chagrin I've switched to nectarines.

Ah...heading back East within the next year or so -- and look forward (again) to the perfect peach...and apricots...and Jersey tomatoes & corn.

We were eating peaches like they were going out of style over the last two months. Fresh NC peaches from the farmers' market. Yum!

Nectarines are inferior. Then again, I've never been able to find them fresh off the orchard, so I suppose that could change my mind. But the ones from the store are always hard and tasteless. I suppose store bought peaches are the same though.

A perfect peach is superior to a nectarine...but if you can't get locally grown peaches it is hard to find good ones. Mushy or mealy or hard as a rock ... blaaaaghh...nasty!

Nectarines are more consistent across the board so that is what I usally buy.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    We were eating peaches like they were going out of style over the last two months. Fresh NC peaches from the farmers' market. Yum!

Nectarines are inferior. Then again, I've never been able to find them fresh off the orchard, so I suppose that could change my mind. But the ones from the store are always hard and tasteless. I suppose store bought peaches are the same though.
    You can't beat the farmers' markets for great fresh fruits and veggies of all kinds!

As for choosing between a peach and a nectarine, why do we have to choose?

Homemade peach ice cream.

There is nothing better.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post

There is nothing better.
    Homemade strawberry ice cream with fresh NC strawberries would be mighty close.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Yum. The strawberry ice cream would be in a very close second place. . .

This week... fresh strawberry ice cream

Have you had the fresh strawberry ice cream at the State Fair? The ice cream made by the NC State students is fabulous in all flavors, but the special strawberry stuff is available at a vendor nearby... a family from Person County. Their strawberry milkshake...mmmmmm delish! It's worth the price of admission.

Haven't been to the state Fair in a few years, so I hope this vendor is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post

There is nothing better.
    I was just gonna post something about ice cream. I'm not particularly fond of peaches, but they do make nice ice cream. I'd still rather have fresh blueberries and make the ice cream with them. Mango is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Have you had the fresh strawberry ice cream at the State Fair? The ice cream made by the NC State students is fabulous in all flavors, but the special strawberry stuff is available at a vendor nearby... a family from Person County. Their strawberry milkshake...mmmmmm delish! It's worth the price of admission.

Haven't been to the state Fair in a few years, so I hope this vendor is still there.
    It starts today at 3 PM so there is still time for a trip from W-S to the fairgrounds. Of course if you come today, you can get in all the opening day traffic AND ncsu-f$u traffic tonight.

It starts today at 3 PM so there is still time for a trip from W-S to the fairgrounds. Of course if you come today, you can get in all the opening day traffic AND ncsu-f$u traffic tonight.
    I think I'll observe all that from afar! I'll see you at the Blue & White scrimmage Saturday!