Duke gets one nod for being overrated

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...asp?CID=861437

Not familiar with this guy - likewise, he doesn't seem to be all together familiar with Duke's makeup - maybe if he had used the word "proven"...

IMHO and I believe most would agree, getting productive minutes from Z or Thomas is a must this year or we may be only a second rounder as is pointed out in the article. I think Z can give us 10 rebounds if he sees 15 minutes per game. Call me crazy but I believe 7'1" can get 10 rebounds by default if given 15 minutes PT. That said I believe DeMarcus' points will be more than made up by Elliot and a more productive Henderson. Also, you never know what Miles might put up.
    We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by ldavid1 View Post
    IMHO and I believe most would agree, getting productive minutes from Z or Thomas is a must this year or we may be only a second rounder as is pointed out in the article. I think Z can give us 10 rebounds if he sees 15 minutes per game. Call me crazy but I believe 7'1" can get 10 rebounds by default if given 15 minutes PT. That said I believe DeMarcus' points will be more than made up by Elliot and a more productive Henderson. Also, you never know what Miles might put up.
    We'll see.
    10 rebounds?!? Are you kidding me?

Quiz: how many ACC players averaged 10 rebounds a game last year?

Answer: 1...hansblahblah averaged 10.2. And that was while averaging 33 mpg - not 15. The next closest was James Johnson at 8.1.

If Zoubek averages 5-6 rpg, I'd be more than happy. More than that and it might be pure ecstasy.

We'll see.
    10 rebounds in 15 minutes?

This is one of the craziest things I have ever seen on this board, and I have seen much craziness, sir. If he gets 15 minutes a game, 5 rebounds is a fair number to hope for. I said a week or so back that I was hoping for 7 boards in 20-25 minutes a game from Zoubek.

If Plumlee gets seriously involved in platoon at center, Z probably will only get about 15 minutes/game. If he's averaging 10 rebounds, though, the platoon will quickly crumble and Z will start getting at least 20 minutes a game. At that point, barring injuries, we would be a lock for the Final Four.

"I think Z can give us 10 rebounds if he sees 15 minutes per game. Call me crazy but I believe 7'1" can get 10 rebounds by default if given 15 minutes PT"

You're absolutely correct. You are crazy.

For the record, Shelden Williams is the only Duke player in the K tenure to average 10 or more RPG. Christian Laettner and Elton Brand came close but just short.

Think about that for a minute. Christian Laettner is arguably the best player in Duke history, just a tick below seven feet, played a lot more than 15 mpg. But somehow those default 10 rebounds per game just never happened.

I think there should be a new rule here that every thread is required to devolve into a Brian Zoubek thread, specifically focusing on how many minutes and/or rebounds per game the big man will achieve during the coming season, and how those minutes and/or rebounds are absolutely critical to Duke advancing past the second round.

Unless you'd rather do Olek Czyz?

Clearly, I'm a Duke fan through and through but I have to go with the assessment in the link. When you put a team in the top 5 or 6 preseason, you're making a statement that at the beginning of the year, you think that team has a strong chance of making a Final Four. As far as Duke is concerned, I just don't see it, yet. I just don't.

Now obviously, I hope to God I'm wrong. But when I look in the mirror, I can't honestly say Duke is a favorite to make a Final Four. I think they're capable of doing it if things go their way, but until I see the frontcourt perform, I can't see how much has changed from last year except us losing our MVP (Demarc). We might still get 25+ wins in the regular season but I think March will provide another early knockout. If Zoubek is out there for 20-25 minutes a game and pulling down more than 5-6 rebounds a game, then I'd have to change my mind. But is Zoubek going to be around for even 25 games, let alone 25 mpg?

Bottom line, I'd take our 1-4 and put them against anyone in the country, but the post presence still concerns me. We've taken steps in the right direction with Czyz and MP1, but I gotta see progress before I go ranking Duke in the top 5 preseason. I need to know our frontcourt has changed materially from last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ... Christian Laettner is arguably the best player in Duke history, just a tick below seven feet, ...
    Christian Laettner was just a tick ABOVE seven feet. He objected to being listed as 7' because he figured it would pigeon hole him as a center/low post player.

It's always exciting to see the first snowflake of winter, the first robin of spring, the first firefly of the summer and the first perennial article claiming that Duke is overrated.
    It should be a day of celebration, since we're about to begin another season of hoops in Cameron!!!

Zoubs the rebounder

We'll see.
    Since Zoubs is going to get 10 rebounds in 15 mins. Let's play him 30 mins and get 20 rebs from him. I know if he can rebound like that, he will be a solid defender also. I expect good things from Zoubs this year but not that much of improvement. Go Duke!

ok...now that I got the dust out from under the refrig....I must agree...not really thinking went I posted 10 rebs/15 min. But, last year Z avg. 3.4 rebs per 10 minutes. I would think a healthy Z could get at least 3-4 more rebounds given he is stronger, more confident and smarter as a junior in the program. That would give him around 7 rebs per game. Pls forgive my excitement going into the best time of the year!!

ok...now that I got the dust out from under the refrig....I must agree...not really thinking went I posted 10 rebs/15 min. But, last year Z avg. 3.4 rebs per 10 minutes. I would think a healthy Z could get at least 3-4 more rebounds given he is stronger, more confident and smarter as a junior in the program. That would give him around 7 rebs per game. Pls forgive my excitement going into the best time of the year!!
    Mad respect for the humility and excitement. I, too, am excited to see a stronger, smarter, more confident Big Z.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I think it's hard to say we're overrated when the average concensus has us anywhere from 9 to 15. If we were listed in the top 5 by everyone, I'd agree that overrated would apply. I think the majority has us pegged about right, without seeing the team in action (us on DBR included). It's a spot rating wise (9-15) that I feel comfortable with and will enjoy watching us move up.

can't wait to bring this article up again at the end of the year...

Went to the game today and was anxious to see how Z did after my opinion brought me so much ridicule. First of all I think BZ should change his number or something, the refs have it out for him in the same what they took it to Shav. Zoubs is much improved defensively, not reaching as much and moved his feet pretty well for a big man. His official stats:

Min. - 12
    Rebs - 6
    Blks - 3
    Asst - 1
    Stl - 2

12 minutes - 6 rebounds.

Granted, this was not ACC play. But I really think that Z can produce big rebound numbers for us given the chance. That said, I do not believe he will see more than 15 minutes in any game this year if Miles Plumlee plays the way he did today. Plumlee is the man! Incredibly athletic for a guy that big. Runs the floor well, blocks shots and seems to have picked up the defensive scheme in a little over a weeks practice.

Curious to see what everyone else thinks after the first unofficial game.

"Granted, this was not ACC play"

Gee, you think.

VUU was a D-2 team whose starting center was 6'6", 180. Zoubek had a nice game and I think he'll get significant minutes this year. But there's no way he gets anywhere near 10 rpg or anywhere near 1 rebound/two minutes against better competition and by better competition, I mean every single team on Duke's regular-season schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    VUU was a D-2 team whose starting center was 6'6", 180.
    It is for this reason we should all temper any analysis of the performances of our big men today. The difference between D-2 post players and even mediocre D-1 big men is HUGE.

Hopefully Plumlee can continue to contribute when the regular season kicks in, but when he's looking at a 3-4 inch, 50-lb size advantage (not to mention the skill advantage) he absolutely should put up big numbers.

That said - fouling out in 12 minutes is a big concern. Zoubek is surely rusty and not in game shape yet, but he's going to have to step it up a lot to be a contributor once he starts playing real opposition. I hope I'm wrong on this one, but I do worry that the loss of most of the summer due to recovery from surgery may have cost Zoubek the opportunity to really work on the aspects of his game that were weakest (especially lower body strength). Hopefully this was just a case of rust and not evidence that Zoubek may be behind the curve again this season.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It is for this reason we should all temper any analysis of the performances of our big men today. The difference between D-2 post players and even mediocre D-1 big men is HUGE.
    I agree totally, this game was simply to knock off the rust and identify things to work on.

However, I must point out Brian, whether it be against D2 or D1, on defense he was not reaching around his man with both arms like he has in past years.

Lets all still back and enjoy this season...with all the tools we have in the shed, and the master sharpener taking care of them, its going to be a fun season!!