Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I had this one time in Alaska. I was in a small Ypik town about 6 hours (by plane) from Anchorage

2 Cups seal oil
    1 pound reindeer fat
    Berries
    Snow

Directions
    Boil the oil & reindeer fat together for 2 to 3 minutes. Cool until lukewarm. Take a bowlful of loose snow (not too powdery) and add oil; beat well to avoid lumps. Let freeze a bit. Then fold in wild berries

They added some sugar for me and my friends as they though we were too "American" to eat it in the traditional way.

You should remain close to a bathroom for a few hours after eating.
    Wow. Just, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    I think we have a winner
    If I were forced to choose between Agutuk and Soylent Green, I think I might go Soylent Green. The stuff was awful. But it was an honor that they made it for us - apparantly it is something they do only for special occasions or celebrations. On that same trip I had salmon. Wow, did I have salmon.

Two women on the trip asked at the village's (St. Mary's Alaska) only store if there was anyone in town who made any crafts as they wanted to take something home from the trip. There was no tourist traffic in the village, so there was nothing like that at the store. However, the folks at the store knew of a woman who made beaver skin hats and baskets that she shipped to her daughter in Anchorgae to sell there (she trapped the beaver herself). They went to her house and bought two hats. She had a couple of baskets left and they asked her if it would be alright if they brought thier friend Allen back the next day to see the baskets so he could bring one home for the lovely mrsallenmurray. The woman said for us to come back at dinner time.

We entered her home (a 600 square foot cottage) where she had prepared us dinner. Her husband (she was in her 70s, he was over 80, but didn't know how old for sure) had gone out that afternoon to the Andreafsky River (a tributary of the Yukon) to catch fish for dinner. We had salmon only hours out of the river, served with rice, salad (a rare treat there as everything was barged in during the summer and flown in in the winter) and cupcakes. It may be the best dinner I've ever had - certainly the most memorable.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    If I were forced to choose between Agutuk and Soylent Green, I think I might go Soylent Green. The stuff was awful. But it was an honor that they made it for us - apparantly it is something they do only for special occasions or celebrations. On that same trip I had salmon. Wow, did I have salmon.

Two women on the trip asked at the village's (St. Mary's Alaska) only store if there was anyone in town who made any crafts as they wanted to take something home from the trip. There was no tourist traffic in the village, so there was nothing like that at the store. However, the folks at the store knew of a woman who made beaver skin hats and baskets that she shipped to her daughter in Anchorgae to sell there (she trapped the beaver herself). They went to her house and bought two hats. She had a couple of baskets left and they asked her if it would be alright if they brought thier friend Allen back the next day to see the baskets so he could bring one home for the lovely mrsallenmurray. The woman said for us to come back at dinner time.

We entered her home (a 600 square foot cottage) where she had prepared us dinner. Her husband (she was in her 70s, he was over 80, but didn't know how old for sure) had gone out that afternoon to the Andreafsky River (a tributary of the Yukon) to catch fish for dinner. We had salmon only hours out of the river, served with rice, salad (a rare treat there as everything was barged in during the summer and flown in in the winter) and cupcakes. It may be the best dinner I've ever had - certainly the most memorable.
    That's a great story!

Sea cucumbers, shark's fin soup, and I never questioned the source of my meat.

The only time I couldn't eat the shark's fin soup was right after finishing reading Jaws. Our host in Hong Kong had them leave the fish head so he could eat the lips - fortunately he got involved in explaining the Chinese opera to us and never got around to eating it. In Taipei, beef tongue was served - it hadn't been slice - just came out in one big chunk - I could not eat that.