Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Designated Hitter For or Against

I am in my 60's. To me the DH is a perversion of baseball. There is just so much more to National League games as managers have to maintain their relievers, pinch hitters, even let pitchers bat, etc.

Your thoughts and your approximate age.

SoCal

The DH is an abomination. I'm 30. This definitely needs a poll.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    The DH is an abomination. I'm 30. This definitely needs a poll.
    Ditto. I'm 26.9. Ditto

I like the DH because it helps my AL team, the Yankees. But, I am also a season ticket holder of the Nats (I know, I know. . .). and must admit that the NL games are more entertaining when moves have to be made. However, it drives me absolutely crazy when there is a runner in scoring position with 2 outs and the stinking pitcher comes up to bat. I'd much rather see someone who can hit in that situation than the pitcher flailing away (not taking into account those very few who are actually pretty good hitters). I guess, ultimately, I'm conflicted.

Setting aside the NL team I love (and the AL ones I hate), I can honestly say that I can't stand the DH rule. I'm in my mid 30's so it's always been around for me. But I am a bit of a purist when it comes to sports. I hate, for example, that technology has nearly eliminated the challenge of many golf courses for players on the tour. Anyway, I think the game of baseball is much more fascinating w/o the DH. The strategy, managing the bench, the double switches, etc. And why shouldn't a pitcher have to stand in the box and hit like his teammates? He's a baseball player, right? If they come to bat at a critical moment, they should know how to hit. Who cares if it's 2 outs w/ RISP? Give me a guy like Zambrano who will at least give it a good whack and I'm satisfied. Also, I get tired of hearing fans of AL teams whine that their pitchers are better b/c they face "AL lineups" and that somehow NL pitchers would crumble if they had to face those fearsome AL lineups on a regular basis. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    However, it drives me absolutely crazy when there is a runner in scoring position with 2 outs and the stinking pitcher comes up to bat. I'd much rather see someone who can hit in that situation than the pitcher flailing away (not taking into account those very few who are actually pretty good hitters).
    That's like hiring JJ but instead of having him play in any of the games, he just shoots free throws for one guy. I'd rather not see Tim Duncan or Shaq shoot free throws either, but they all still do it... unless you're Ronald Curry, then Max Owens shoots them for you.

The DH should be banned (but never will be)! Might as well allow faster runners to stand behind a line, ready to run when some fat-butt who can still swing hits one in the gap. I say players either play defense or stay off the field. Except when they're coaching at 1st or 3rd base. EX-ballplayers who just can't leave baseball behind can find their haven there! Harrrruuuummmpfff!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Give me a guy like Zambrano who will at least give it a good whack and I'm satisfied.
    Problem is there are not enough of them who can give it a good whack. Too many times it is just a wasted out. Maybe if the DH is eliminated, more good hitting pitchers will develop. Were pitchers better hitters in general before the DH was added?

I hate the DH. All it does is add 30 minutes to every AL game, while at the same time removing half of the strategy.

Get rid of the DH - and take that damn astroturf with you.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBaby View Post
    Problem is there are not enough of them who can give it a good whack. Too many times it is just a wasted out. Maybe if the DH is eliminated, more good hitting pitchers will develop. Were pitchers better hitters in general before the DH was added?
    I'm not sure that it matters if they were better before/after DH. It seems to me that pitchers' poor hitting is due to the need to spend more time on the mechanics of pitching where they'll have the greatest impact on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Get rid of the DH - and take that damn astroturf with you.
    and the domed stadiums too!

I think that the player's union won't let the AL get rid of the DH - that's 14 high paying jobs that would be replaced by cheap utility men.

Against. 51.
    Yes, I'm a purist. Also against having a second-place team (over 162) be the "champion." Yeech.

I'm 29 and I'm against the DH. It's not how the game was meant to be played.

No matter how you feel about it, don't you think it's dumb to have different rules in different leagues? I would be fine with it if they would just make both leagues play by the same rules.

On another note, why can't pitchers hit with any more success than they do? I know hitting a baseball is supposed to be the hardest thing to do in sports, but these are professional athletes. Why don't they practice their batting more? Maybe they do and they just suck, but I think I could get out there and bloop a single out of every ten at bats.
    "The future ain't what it used to be."

Quote Originally Posted by DUKIECB View Post
    I'm 29 and I'm against the DH. It's not how the game was meant to be played.

No matter how you feel about it, don't you think it's dumb to have different rules in different leagues? I would be fine with it if they would just make both leagues play by the same rules.

On another note, why can't pitchers hit with any more success than they do? I know hitting a baseball is supposed to be the hardest thing to do in sports, but these are professional athletes. Why don't they practice their batting more? Maybe they do and they just suck, but I think I could get out there and bloop a single out of every ten at bats.
    To elaborate on my post above, I think pitchers spend more time pitching than swinging a bat because that's where they'll have the greatest impact on the game. There are far too many variables to measure the return on a pitcher's investment in batting practice vs pitching practice. Ask yourself the questions: How many times will he come to bat? How many runners will be on base? How many batters will he face? How many pitches will he throw?

You get a lot more rewards out of great pitching than you do great hitting, IMO.

To sum it all it up: Best offense is a good defense.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    To elaborate on my post above, I think pitchers spend more time pitching than swinging a bat because that's where they'll have the greatest impact on the game. There are far too many variables to measure the return on a pitcher's investment in batting practice vs pitching practice. Ask yourself the questions: How many times will he come to bat? How many runners will be on base? How many batters will he face? How many pitches will he throw?

You get a lot more rewards out of great pitching than you do great hitting, IMO.

To sum it all it up: Best offense is a good defense.
    Yes, but a pitcher's hitting prowess can help himself, as well as his team. Obviously if you hit and help your team win, it's good for all. A pitcher who can hit can be left in games longer and get more wins. You don't have to hit for Zambrano, he gets an extra inning as a result, etc., so his numbers are fattened. Same for Sabathia. (Their numbers aren't the only things fattened . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Yes, but a pitcher's hitting prowess can help himself, as well as his team. Obviously if you hit and help your team win, it's good for all. A pitcher who can hit can be left in games longer and get more wins. You don't have to hit for Zambrano, he gets an extra inning as a result, etc., so his numbers are fattened. Same for Sabathia. (Their numbers aren't the only things fattened . . .)
    I agree, a pitcher's hitting prowess can help himself and the team. I'd be interested to see how many pitcher's saved a game with their RBI or solo run. I bet not many. I'm just trying to explain why pitchers may not be the greatest hitters. Regardless, I still think they should pick up the bat and swing. DH is lame.

Against

I'm against the DH. It probably comes from living in more NL cities than AL cities growing up. I returned to an AL city after college and drove my 12 year old nephew notes when I would ask him where the DH stood on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    where the DH stood on the field.
    HAHA great! He stands in the dugout, where he belongs. Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Not if it comes at the sacrifice of his pitching abilities. Even if a good hitting pitcher could get you (at best) 1 extra run/game, that won't matter if that pitcher won't last 3 innings on the mound. I don't think it's reasonable to expect all starters to hit like Zambrano and (late 90s) Mike Hampton. One other thing to consider is, while the other 8 guys are practicing batting, the pitcher is (presumably) working on his pitching, which the other 8 guys don't have to; and this is probably what pitchers have been doing since college or high school.