Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

On Miles

While I don't have any sources at all, unlike Jumbo and Carlos, I've been thinking that Miles could earn some time.

He's big enough, at least in terms of height, to cover the other team's tallest player. (Thomas, McClure, and Czyz are all a little undersized for that role. Not to say they can't do it, but we lose some shot blocking and rebounding with them in the game.)

Miles is also more mobile than Zoubek, making him likely to be better at the defensive rotations required in Duke's man-to-man.

I'm right on the Plumlee bandwagon with Jumbo and have been for quite a while. There's room any 6-10 guy to earn time on this team, and when he's a guy who positions himself well and runs the floor well, he very well might be a better choice to play than Zoubek. If I thought he was more ready physically I'd be confident about him starting. As it stands, I don't think he'll start but he'll be in the meaningful rotation.

Idiotic thread. Completely counterproductive. It leads to criticism of Duke players and uneducated speculation.

How does this "discussion" contribute to the Duke Basketball community?

I shouldn't comment on Miles' potential for playing time this year because I haven't seen him play. The reports from this summer were that he was getting overmatched a lot, particularly against Singler and Czyz, but I don't buy into anything I haven't seen with my own two eyes.

I have an image in my head of a fluid, non-explosive player, but that's really based on footage of his brother. Yes, by all means let's keep an open mind about the potential of a 6-10 guy who can get up, but more softness in the middle is not what the doctor ordered for this team, which is clearly going to make an NC run. If Miles plays I want him to go out there strong and aggressive. I suspect he may be a year in the weight room away, but good on him if he proves me wrong.

I wouldn't be suprised if we see a lot of Singler moving to his natural position a the 3 this year and especially next year with Kelly.

Quote Originally Posted by bludvlman View Post
    I wouldn't be suprised if we see a lot of Singler moving to his natural position a the 3 this year...
    Well, you're the only one.

Hope he (Miles) improves enough to man up to Carolinas PFs. With our coaches, I like his odds. I know Dave can play D with the best of them, plus Zoubek SHOULD improve and not need as much help on the court, if he can stay healthy. This will give Singler a chance to move outside on certain lineups. And don't forget a much improved Lance. We should be fine upfront this year.

Jumbo, Your comments are interesting for another reason. If Miles starts over Zoubek then that would seem to imply that Zoubek is either in bad shape or has not progressed as much as we all had hoped this off season. Your stating that Miles could start actually seems like very bad news to me. However, I am still very doubtful that you are right on this, and perhaps even if you are there are other explanations that do not come to mind...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Jumbo, Your comments are interesting for another reason. If Miles starts over Zoubek then that would seem to imply that Zoubek is either in bad shape or has not progressed as much as we all had hoped this off season. Your stating that Miles could start actually seems like very bad news to me. However, I am still very doubtful that you are right on this, and perhaps even if you are there are other explanations that do not come to mind...
    Wow, that's turning an otherwise positive comment by Jumbo into something very negative. If someone 'in-the-know' says something like this about a player we haven't even seen yet, then that has to be decent news at worse.

I'm more than confident about Zoubek's ability to be a major factor this year. If we have another guy to provide an inside presence other than Singler and Thomas then that's a huge bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Wow, that's turning an otherwise positive comment by Jumbo into something very negative. If someone 'in-the-know' says something like this about a player we haven't even seen yet, then that has to be decent news at worse.

I'm more than confident about Zoubek's ability to be a major factor this year. If we have another guy to provide an inside presence other than Singler and Thomas then that's a huge bonus.
    I admit that it is negative in a way, but if I am being honest, I would rather hear that the junior seven footer has been looking great and has all but claimed the starting spot, than hear that the rail thin freshman has frog-leaped two veteran post players for the spot.

Still, it is great news for Miles!!! I am simply arguing that what is good for Miles might not necessarily be what is good for the team here. That an inexperienced post player could take that spot from two older experienced players does not seem to be a positive reflection on our talent level at the position right now. Am I wrong?

In this respect, my comment that I don't believe Jumbo until I see it with my own two eyes is choosing to be positive... not negative. I want to believe that Zoubek is ready to dominate (or even Lance perhaps) and so I choose to not to believe Jumbo because I think our front court will be better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post

I agree. Let's say that Zoubek and Thomas have improved, significantly. Let's say Zoubek has really worked on his offensive footwork and has fully recovered from injury. Now we can bring him in and run the offense through him. We can pound the ball into the post and let him either score or pass. Or we can bring Thomas in and ratchet up the pressure defense. Or we can bring Miles and utilize his fluidity in our offensive scheme. If any of those three show serious offensive potential, we can also "go big" every once in a while to spell some of our other players. If Zoubek is able to become a consistent threat on offense, we can play him and Thomas at the same time (at least in short bursts), which may even open things up for Thomas. Then we can give guys like Henderson and Singler rest without losing as much offense as we would have this past year with such a lineup. At any rate, quality play from Miles is only a good thing. i don't see how it could be a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    There's an enormous irony here - and I don't rule out the possibility that it's intentional.

When it comes to Czyz a large number of posters predict major minutes and some go so far as to forecast some pretty lofty averages for him. In this case Jumbo usually steps in and says something about having reasonable expectations.

Now Jumbo states there's a decent chance that Plumlee starts and someone tells him to lower his expectations.

BTW - I've also heard that Plumlee is looking very good and that there's a good chance he can see meaningful playing time this season. He's not going to pull out a SportsCenter highlight dunk like Olek, but he's also not going to get as lost in a structured defense or offense either.
    I am certainly not one of those who think Olek will get considerable PT, or that he will fill our post need. Williams will by far get the most PT of any of the 3 incoming freshmen....

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Idiotic thread. Completely counterproductive. It leads to criticism of Duke players and uneducated speculation.

How does this "discussion" contribute to the Duke Basketball community?
    There is a big difference between this "criticism" and being realistic. I also feel this is a completely legitimate thread because it, after all, is about Duke basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by quickgtp View Post
    I am certainly not one of those who think Olek will get considerable PT, or that he will fill our post need. Williams will by far get the most PT of any of the 3 incoming freshmen....

I agree that people seem to be underestimating E-mail's potential contribution to this year's team. I expect Williams to play significantly more minutes than Czyz and Plumlee combined.

That said, I have absolutely no inside information. If Jumbo has, then I have to defer to him. If Plumlee (or Czyz, for that matter, to give dkbaseball his due) is ready to play big minutes, I think it's great news, and I think it means Duke will be a top 5 team (which it may be anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    That statement is very surprising to me. I'd also like to know why you think this is possible.
    Wow, I see there are a lot of questions along these lines. I think it's possible because I've been told it's possible. The center spot is still up in the air, and if I had to put my money on a starter, I'd pick Zoubek. But Plumlee is in the mix and is WAY ahead of Czyz in the pecking order for playing time. Stuff still needs to play out, the lineups early in the season could be interesting.

Based on conversations I've had, I expect Duke will pretty much play everyone in blowouts. But in close games, I see a nine-man rotation:

-Singler
    -Scheyer
    -Henderson
    -Paulus
    -Smith
    -E. Willams
    -Zoubek
    -Thomas
    -Plumlee

I could see McClure getting situational PT. Czyz and Pocius would probably be on the outside looking in, but a lot can change over the next month, let alone once the season starts.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    Based on conversations I've had, I expect Duke will pretty much play everyone in blowouts. But in close games, I see a nine-man rotation:

-Singler
    -Scheyer
    -Henderson
    -Paulus
    -Smith
    -E. Willams
    -Zoubek
    -Thomas
    -Plumlee

I could see McClure getting situational PT. Czyz and Pocius would probably be on the outside looking in, but a lot can change over the next month, let alone once the season starts.
    This is exactly what I expected - those nine guys seeing meaningful playing time. The big question I have, and I have no idea what the answer is on this one, is whether or not we're going to be seeing long stretches of 4 guards + Singler again this year at the end of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    This is exactly what I expected - those nine guys seeing meaningful playing time. The big question I have, and I have no idea what the answer is on this one, is whether or not we're going to be seeing long stretches of 4 guards + Singler again this year at the end of games.
    The staff is strongly committed to keeping Singler at the 4 this year. They know he wore down playing a lot of five last season. But, also, there was another reason to play him at the five -- it was the only way to get Scheyer, Henderson and Nelson in the game together (well, I might have put Scheyer at the point, but that's not important now). This year, Duke doesn't have nearly as much of a problem getting its best players on the court together. Duke also doesn't have a guy like DeMarcus Nelson, who really compensated for the team's lack of size with tremendous physical tools inside. I think we'll see a big of 4-guards around Singler, but, as others have said, only situationally -- to close games with a lead or against other small teams.

I'm pretty certain that the 5-spot will be a committee of Zoubek, Plumlee and Thomas (none of those guys will get 20 mpg in that spot), with Thomas also backing up Singler at the 4. Smith/Paulus split time at the point, maybe play a little together, and E-Will backs up Scheyer and Henderson at the wing spots.

Jumbo hit the rotation nail on the head.

I'll add that you'll see McClure as the 10th man in the rotation, mostly situationally or if a number of our front court guys get into foul trouble

Since regular practices have not started yet, and the three freshman are still awaiting their first full practice, aren't we being a little premature in forecasting minutes and rotation? Or at least not certain yet?

What are such judgments based on? Pick-up games, heresay, and summer league games? Didn't we already hear that such things are hugely unreliable?

Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    I'm pretty certain that the 5-spot will be a committee of Zoubek, Plumlee and Thomas
    Well, we'll just be seeing about that, won't we. When they actually get on a basketball floor, all Czyz does is get named MVP of an all-star game and all-league in a summer pro-am (which Singler, Thomas and Plumlee were not, despite showing up to play as much as Czyz). Maybe at some point in your dismissal of Czyz's prospects for playing time you'll give some indication that you've actually seen him play. Until then, we'll assume that you're reporting somebody's account of pick-up games -- i..e, the sort of competition you're normally at pains to discount.

Frankly, I think the reports you're getting are the sound of the established pecking order circling the wagons against the possibility that somebody who wasn't supposed to be a featured player quite possibly will be. I know the player I saw in high school, and I know how he stacks up with several other Duke signees I've seen in high school, including the best player ever to play at Duke, Grant Hill. But we'll see soon enough.