Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Plumlee Playing Time

I was thinking about this, do you guys believe Plumlee will get a lot of playing time this season just do to the fact that his brother is coming next year and is a big time recruit for us? I think K plays for the most part who he thinks the best player is but will there be any politics behind Plumlee's PT this year?

Quote Originally Posted by bludvlman View Post
    I was thinking about this, do you guys believe Plumlee will get a lot of playing time this season just do to the fact that his brother is coming next year and is a big time recruit for us? I think K plays for the most part who he thinks the best player is but will there be any politics behind Plumlee's PT this year?
    absolutely zero politics involved in Plumlee's or anyone's PT.

Further, Mason has already committed to Duke, so its not like we're courting him and trying to entice him or whatever.

K would never let politics have any influence on who to play. His goal is to win, he plays whoever will help us win.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    absolutely zero politics involved in Plumlee's or anyone's PT.

Further, Mason has already committed to Duke, so its not like we're courting him and trying to entice him or whatever.

K would never let politics have any influence on who to play. His goal is to win, he plays whoever will help us win.
    Second

I dont necessarly believe that K will playing politics with Plumlee I was just throwing this out there for the sake of conversation about it.

I dont necessarly believe that K will playing politics with Plumlee I was just throwing this out there for the sake of conversation about it.
    OK. Not sure why you would think its a possibility or even worth a discussion. I mean I could say "Do you guys think Nolan wants to transfer to UNC after this year" just so we would have something to talk about but what in the world would make me think Nolan wants to transfer to UNC?

I agree that there are no politics in this as well. I will also say that Miles will probably play 0-4 minutes a game. IMO I do not think he will be ready for anything more than that....

Hey, if I am wrong, then maybe we have an answer to our post prayers!

Quote Originally Posted by quickgtp View Post
    I agree that there are no politics in this as well. I will also say that Miles will probably play 0-4 minutes a game. IMO I do not think he will be ready for anything more than that....

Hey, if I am wrong, then maybe we have an answer to our post prayers!
    I agree. My guess is that it really is going to be all about the off-seasons for Miles. Hit those weights baby!

... then again, I haven't seen him play for a single minute in Duke Blue so it's all speculation obviously.

Smile

I agree w/ the other posters about politics - Coach K doesn't need to persuade anyone, except through the W-L column. Nevertheless, I will be very interested to see who will step up to take some heat off of Singler in the frontcourt. Will Zoubek stop traveling and fouling so frequently? Will Thomas really come into his own this year? Or will Plumlee or Czyz demonstrate some early potential that gets them some serious minutes in the paint?

All I know is that I can't wait to find out! In HD in my living, for the first time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    OK. Not sure why you would think its a possibility or even worth a discussion. I mean I could say "Do you guys think Nolan wants to transfer to UNC after this year" just so we would have something to talk about but what in the world would make me think Nolan wants to transfer to UNC?
    When did you first hear that Nolan is transferring to UNC?

Quote Originally Posted by beltwayBD View Post
    Will Zoubek stop traveling and fouling so frequently?
    This is an inaccurate criticism of Zoubek. He corrected the traveling problem between his freshman and sophomore seasons. As a sophomore, Zoubek played more minutes but turned the ball over less. He recorded 37 TOs as a freshman and 20 as a sophomore.

Zoubek hasn't had a problem will fouls. That is an Urban Legend. He averaged 1.2 fouls per game as a freshman and 1.7 fouls per game as a sophomore.

Brian Zoubek's sophomore season was derailed by injuries. He should be commended for displaying the intestinal fortitude to play hurt, not unjustly criticized for problems that do not exist.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=31711
    Bob Green

Plumlee will play. In fact, there's a decent chance that he'll start as a frosh. It's beyond ridiculous to suggest that politics might factor into that decision.

Jumbo,

Just out of curiousity and the fact that I hadn't heard anyone suggest that Plumlee could start this year, is there certain info that you have about Plumlee that the rest of us might not have? Compared to the comments from other posters who think he will be a non-factor, his ratings from recruiting experts and his performance in the summer league games, it seems like Plumlee would only see spot minutes.

Anyway, any specifics or insights you could let us know about in term of how Plumlee could help and how much he might play?

Miles will get minutes if he can play defense. Thomas has not been able to guard big opposing centers. Czyz is big, but probably too short to guard a big 6'10" or 6'11" guy. Miles may be the 2nd best defender, after Zoubek, at the 5. If that's the case, and if he can pass well and fit in the offense, i could easily see 10 minutes a game for him.

Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    Plumlee will play. In fact, there's a decent chance that he'll start as a frosh. It's beyond ridiculous to suggest that politics might factor into that decision.
    That statement is very surprising to me. I'd also like to know why you think this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    That statement is very surprising to me. I'd also like to know why you think this is possible.
    It's not that hard to imagine, considering that our fronctourt players have been less than stellar up to this point. But, he would have to be significantly better than advertised to earn a starting spot at some point this year. Not impossible, but not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    Ditto here. When he played against Singler and Czyz in the summer there were many reports -- mostly on TDD -- that both of them just abused Miles. It was pretty unanimous that he doesn't have the strength, physicality or confidence right now to be a significant contributor, though the potential is certainly there. If it's simply a matter of having a good idea at this point of where to position himself on the floor, I'm not persuaded. It's the job of the coaching staff to get the players with the best physical tools on the floor, consistent with good team chemistry.

17. Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    I was just about to post a similar thing. I have never seen Miles play in person, but I've read that he's
    - 6'10
    - 230 pounds
    - More athletic than Mason

As long as he can make lay-ups/put-backs and rebound, this kind of player should earn some minutes in our run-and-gun offense as a center. At the very least, he should provide significant back-up minutes to Zoubek who hasn't shown he can play big minutes. Committing to Zoubek and Miles at the 5 will also allow Singler, Thomas and Olek to play the 4, their natural positions and where they will be most effective.

So my money is that Miles will get significant minutes.

Jumbo I think you need to lower your expectations for Miles. There is no way he will start as a freshman, barring a catastrophic string of injuries to those around him. I am not here to knock Miles, in fact, I think he will develop into a solid player DTR. It will take time though.

The only way I see him getting significant minutes is through injury OR foul trouble.

Nope . . . . . . and nope.

But this news about Nolan to UNC deserves it's own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by quickgtp View Post
    Jumbo I think you need to lower your expectations for Miles. There is no way he will start as a freshman, barring a catastrophic string of injuries to those around him. I am not here to knock Miles, in fact, I think he will develop into a solid player DTR. It will take time though.

The only way I see him getting significant minutes is through injury OR foul trouble.
    There's an enormous irony here - and I don't rule out the possibility that it's intentional.

When it comes to Czyz a large number of posters predict major minutes and some go so far as to forecast some pretty lofty averages for him. In this case Jumbo usually steps in and says something about having reasonable expectations.

Now Jumbo states there's a decent chance that Plumlee starts and someone tells him to lower his expectations.

BTW - I've also heard that Plumlee is looking very good and that there's a good chance he can see meaningful playing time this season. He's not going to pull out a SportsCenter highlight dunk like Olek, but he's also not going to get as lost in a structured defense or offense either.