View Poll Results: Are you working on Columbus Day?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yup. Holiday, schmoliday... and I don't even get my mail.

27 75.00%
  • Nope - Uncle Sam gave me a three-day weekend.

5 13.89%
  • Taking it off, but on my own dime...

1 2.78%
  • (other?)

3 8.33%

Columbus Day - Who's not Working?

Who here gets the day off work in recognition of Columbus Day? I'm wondering if it's a regional thing (in other words, only celebrated in DC and the surrounding areas, unless you're a Federal worker.)

(Oops, realize the poll question is asking the opposite of the thread title - sorry for any confusion.)

I'm in DC, and I don't get the day off.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

It's what I think of as a government holiday. Even when I worked in DC I didn't get it off since I didn't work for the government. My kid doesn't even get it off school. That's no holiday by my definition.

Former executives in my company traded MLK day for Columbus day when we first started the company. We updated the holiday schedule a two years ago and now celebrate MLK Day. I'll be working Columbus Day for sure.

We trade Columbus day for Friday after Thanksgiving, so I'll be working here in DC.

It is a bank holiday, but has never (in my lifetime) been a stock market holiday. I'll be at work.

Well it is already Monday morning here in Japan but I'm at home watching NFL football. I love these Federal Holidays.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Well it is already Monday morning here in Japan but I'm at home watching NFL football. I love these Federal Holidays.
    Right on Bob Green. Good morning and enjoy the day off!

I'm a federal contractor. It's an easy day either way since my clients aren't working. My company swapped Columbus Day for Veterean's Day this year, so technically I'm working tomorrow. However, I'll be doing college recruiting interviews over at Chapah Heeya, so I won't really be working.

10. Columbus Day is for banks simply because they can't take off during any of the real holidays.

Well, technically I have tomorrow off at my new job, but I'm working my last day tomorrow at my old job. (So I'm not getting a day off, but I am getting paid twice for it. :-) )

Both companies in the DC area, neither government related.

I have the day off and I don't work for the government. We are big on subjugating the indigenou...oh wait, this isn't the PPB.

I used one of my floating holidays. It's the first vacation day I've taken all year, and I think it was worth it. The weather is beautiful, and I took a 20-mile bike ride along the lakefront this morning.

I worked today. The courthouse was open. I went down and opened an estate file, but we couldn't go any further in administering the estate because the IRS and the banks were closed today.

My brother and I were off school, but my dad went to work.

Interesting to compare the way the working world handles the minor holidays these days...

My current job gives MLK and Thanksgiving Friday but not Columbus.

Previous jobs gave neither Columbus nor MLK but gave "floating holiday" that was essentially an extra vacation day (was not restricted to "holiday" usage).

The worst place I ever worked (salary category) gave neither MLK, Columbus, nor T-Day Friday. (That should have been a hint.)

One place (beltway bandit software company) alternated years - one year you would get MLK, the next year you would get Columbus, thus making sure employees with ancestors in Africa and Italy were equally annoyed.

It had nothing to do with Columbus, but I wasn't very productive today; I avoided some tasks so smoothly it would have made Wally from Dilbert proud... (of course I will probably pay for it later in the week...)