Dr. J with the Ice Shot?

What's with the Dr. Pepper commercial with Dr. J shooting a 50-foot jumper, putting an ice cube in the glass? He was mostly known for his dunking, right?

He should be DUNKING that ice cube in glass! A true failure of creativity by the ad firm.

Now, if it was Larry Bird, I'd understand.

-Dr. Jam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Now, if it was Larry Bird, I'd understand.
    Larry Bird doesn't have a fake medical degree.

Question

What's with the Dr. Pepper commercial with Dr. J shooting a 50-foot jumper, putting an ice cube in the glass? He was mostly known for his dunking, right?

He should be DUNKING that ice cube in glass! A true failure of creativity by the ad firm.-Dr. Jam
    Dr. J could do any shot, but you are correct in that he was best known for his dunks.

The ad is blasphemy. We all know that the Iceman was George Gervin. He'd at least do the finger roll.

The ad firm also missed the obvious prop: there wasn't any Dr. Pepper in the glass.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Dr. J could do any shot, but you are correct in that he was best known for his dunks.

The ad is blasphemy. We all know that the Iceman was George Gervin. He'd at least do the finger roll.

The ad firm also missed the obvious prop: there wasn't any Dr. Pepper in the glass.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Gervin already did some ads years ago talking about the finger roll. Perhaps they didn't want to copy...

But, seriously, Clyde the Glide is doing "Just For Men" commercials?
    Not cool at all.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Not cool at all.
    That's pretty weak. "Clyde the Glide" should be a spokesperson for well, basically any kind of lubricant, be it WD-40 or Slick N' Stick.

-EarlJam

That's pretty weak. "Clyde the Glide" should be a spokesperson for well, basically any kind of lubricant, be it WD-40 or Slick N' Stick.

-EarlJam
    Do you remember when Clyde the Glide did his slipping and sliding around Duke in the NIT?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Not cool at all.
    Um, wrong.

Clyde the Glide is Clyde Austin. Clyde in "Just for Men" ads is Walt "Clyde" Frazier, former guard on the Knicks in the late 60's and early 70's, who was named after Clyde in the movie "Bonnie and Clyde" for his fast hands stealing the ball on defense. He was to the Knicks what Jason Williams was to Duke - same type of (fabulous) player! I believe that Clyde scored 36 points and had double digit rebounds in the "Willis Reed" game.

Here's hoping Chris Duhon becomes the same type of star for the current Knicks!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I clearly grew up in a later era - I'd always thought "Clyde the Glide" was Drexler.

Cool To add to the confusion about Clyde

Quote Originally Posted by Cavlaw View Post
    I clearly grew up in a later era - I'd always thought "Clyde the Glide" was Drexler.
    Time out, Cavlaw and Ozzie.

Clyde Drexler's full name is Clyde Austin Drexler (). He IS "Clyde the Glide" to most NBA followers around the country.

Clyde Austin played for State, and played with the Globetrotters after leaving State. He was also known as "Clyde the Glide."

I want to say that the age difference between the two is something like 5 years.

Point in fact: Clyde Frazier: Ozzie is correct that he was nicknamed Clyde because of his steals, but he is also known for his impeccable taste in clothes!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Sheesh, I stand corrected. I always thought Frazier was the Glide, but then again, that WAS a while before my time

Thanks for always keeping us honest! But, the mens hair coloring ads are still yucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Point in fact: Clyde Frazier: Ozzie is correct that he was nicknamed Clyde because of his steals, but he is also known for his impeccable taste in clothes!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I forgot all about Drexler, but remember Austin from when he played at NC State. And as a 15 year old Knicks fan in NY in 1969, I cared nothing about Frazier's fashion sense, only his play on the court.

Thanks for validating my point Lavabe.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Smile How old are we?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I forgot all about Drexler, but remember Austin from when he played at NC State. And as a 15 year old Knicks fan in NY in 1969, I cared nothing about Frazier's fashion sense, only his play on the court.

Thanks for validating my point Lavabe.
    I was an 8 yr old NJ kid who got a Frazier autograph when he visited our local supermarket.

Clyde was my favorite.

Cheers,
    Lavabe