Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Ads covering text

What is with the xbox ad covering the new post list? I cannot access the newest posts without activating a new window with an ad in it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I haven't had that one yet, but I'm sure I'll see it eventually. I don't see how advertisers can assume that their blatantly interrupting us will make any more likely to buy their product. Banner ads and commericials are fine, they are non obtrusive, or at least expected. But I hate being in mid sentence only to have open a new page so I can finish what I was reading.

indoor, it appears the problem is in IE only, as I saw on my desktop this morning. I'm trying on my laptop now in IE, but the ad on the right doesn't show at all. I'm betting it has something to do with the resolution of 1024 x 768 and IE. Do you match that description?

Once again, firefox doesn't have the problem for me.

I have IE and have just started having that issue as well. It's a work laptop, so I don't have a choice of browser. I'll definitely be reading less if this continues -- too annoying.

Definitely let J & B know if ads are causing problems. Shoot them an email (link via CONTACT US @ the bottom of the page) with a snapshot or link or at very least a description of the ad and its location.

I'm not seeing it in either IE or Firefox. What are you seeing? A particular ad?

There was a bit of work done yesterday to fix a different IE problem. Damn Microsquish and their not-quite-compliant browser!

-jk

I actually got a pop-up yesterday using Firefox. I set my preferences to block popups from this site and haven't seen once since.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I'm not seeing it in either IE or Firefox. What are you seeing? A particular ad?
    It was an Xbox ad at about 1 or 1:30 this afternoon. It was and is the only ad that had this effect. I saw it on IE. Now I have a full width screen with no ads on the right margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It was an Xbox ad at about 1 or 1:30 this afternoon. It was and is the only ad that had this effect. I saw it on IE. Now I have a full width screen with no ads on the right margin.
    Thanks. If anyone can spot a pattern, please let me know.

-jk

I had a similar situation as what Indoor is describing but it wasn't with the Xbox ad. The Weatherbug on the right side of the page was overlapping with the links to go to the end of a thread. This is on Safari and not IE, but it went away and I haven't noticed it today.

I just had the same experience with an EASports ad - at 1:24 pm on Friday, 10/10. The ad covered the right hand portion of the screen and prevented me from seeing who make the latest post to a thread on the PPB.

No problem here at all...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Screen shot

Just got that ad on my laptop, included a screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Perfect, thanks for the grab!

-jk

We've done some tweaks. If anyone sees this again, please let me know. A screen grab is even better.

thanks,

-jk

We've had one more report of odd site issues. Anyone else seeing anything that seems broken? If so, I'd very much appreciate it if you can get a screen grab. To get a grab, press Alt-PrintScreen to copy, open Word or a graphics package, and paste.

thanks,

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    We've had one more report of odd site issues. Anyone else seeing anything that seems broken? If so, I'd very much appreciate it if you can get a screen grab. To get a grab, press Alt-PrintScreen to copy, open Word or a graphics package, and paste.

thanks,

-jk
    Since you asked... note the difference on the 2 screen grabs. One has my bookmark sidebar open and pushes everything to the right, into the ad field. One has my bookmark sidebar closed and it's normal. Browser is Firefox.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Strange how your text still overflows the ad, at least you can read the post. By the way, nice favorites list, from it I discern that you are a news and sports junkie!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Strange how your text still overflows the ad, at least you can read the post. By the way, nice favorites list, from it I discern that you are a news and sports junkie!
    Uhhhh, work computer... please disregard bookmarks... oops.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Since you asked... note the difference on the 2 screen grabs. One has my bookmark sidebar open and pushes everything to the right, into the ad field. One has my bookmark sidebar closed and it's normal. Browser is Firefox.
    Thanks. Oversized pictures can cause unintended trouble: you can't wrap them - you have to warp the page to hold them. We'll look into it.

thanks,

-jk