Football Schedule

In its first 5 games, Duke has had 2 Saturdays off. Do all of the other ACC schools have 2 Saturdays off on their football scedule? If they do than it would silly to have them so early in the season, even if it is only Duke, than it still makes no sense.

There's 14 weeks in the season, including the Saturday after Thanksgiving, when most schools don't play. So yeah, most teams do get 2 Saturdays off, but a lot use that second one on Thanksgiving weekend (most ACC schools do play their main rivalry game then, but in other conferences like the Big 10, not so much)

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinFunk View Post
    There's 14 weeks in the season, including the Saturday after Thanksgiving, when most schools don't play. So yeah, most teams do get 2 Saturdays off, but a lot use that second one on Thanksgiving weekend (most ACC schools do play their main rivalry game then, but in other conferences like the Big 10, not so much)
    ^ He's right, the Big 10 doesn't take two Saturdays off. Most Big 10 teams only play a real game on two Saturdays during the season.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Earlier in the year Cutcliffe says he likes having the two days off, but he wished they were not so close together. I think this one comes at a better time than our first, we are pretty banged up and can use the recoup time. The first day off seemed to work pretty well against Virginia.

I agree with CameronB&B. An extra week for the coaches to look at the GaTech tape and try to figure ways to correct the deficiencies that were exposed will be immensely helpful for the rest of the season. We may or may not beat Miami, but I have a feeling we'll see some new things being tried. (Note to a certain frequent poster on this site: please do not use this post as a jumping-off point to argue for shaking up the QB position. You know who you are.)

Thursday night games

As a Wake fan told me the other day, because all teams have 2 off weeks this year, any team playing on a Thursday night will not play the previous week. For example, Wake plays Clemson tonight and both were off last week. Hopefully we will get a Thursday night game in the next few seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by devilish View Post
    As a Wake fan told me the other day, because all teams have 2 off weeks this year, any team playing on a Thursday night will not play the previous week. For example, Wake plays Clemson tonight and both were off last week. Hopefully we will get a Thursday night game in the next few seasons.
    ooo, that would be weird and sweet all at the same time.

Do you take off work Thursday to tailgate, or Friday to recover.hmm

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 365Duke View Post
    ooo, that would be weird and sweet all at the same time.

Do you take off work Thursday to tailgate, or Friday to recover.hmm
    4 day weekend, woohoo!

Every ACC team is playing on November 29 this year, i.e. the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

The open dates are scattered around. Georgia Tech and Virginia have open dates as late as November 15.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Every ACC team is playing on November 29 this year, i.e. the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
    My guess is that will be a very important game day, and we won't know who is playing in Tampa until that evening.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    My guess is that will be a very important game day, and we won't know who is playing in Tampa until that evening.
    I'd love to spoil UNC's chance at winning the division that night, under the lights!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Depends on a lot. Clemson, FSU, Wake, and Georgia Tech don't play that weekend against a conference opponent. The Atlantic might be figured out by then. The Coastal definitely won't - 5 conference games (UVA/Tech, Duke/Holes, Miami/State) will make it a big weekend for our division. I think we have a good chance of this one being a TV game, as do most of the ACC games.

"I think we have a good chance of this one being a TV game, as do most of the ACC games. "

Maybe. But two things complicate the picture. The weather can start to get dicey by that time of the year. I'm sure Virginia Tech and Virginia would agree to play pretty much any time to get on regional TV. But an 8 P.M. kickoff in late-November in Blacksburg probably doesn't top anybody's wish list.

The second is that other sport, the one with the round ball. ESPN is going to be convering some hoops by November 29, so that might take away some time slots.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The second is that other sport, the one with the round ball..
    First time ever I bet for "that other sport" referenced on DBR was not football.