View Poll Results: What are you most embarrassed to purchase in a store?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Condoms

4 25.00%
  • Tampons

2 12.50%
  • Toilet Paper

2 12.50%
  • Hair Coloring

0 0%
  • Laxitives

1 6.25%
  • Enemas (sp)

1 6.25%
  • Canned Soup

0 0%
  • Alcohol

0 0%
  • Gas-X

0 0%
  • Chicken

1 6.25%
  • Tabloids

2 12.50%
  • Other (explain)

3 18.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Whats so embarrassing about buying alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Maybe embarrassed is the wrong word, but have you ever tried buying alcohol with a fake id?

Submitted for consideration:

16 year old (me once upon a time) at the store with my mom and my kid brother in tow (he was all of 5 or 6).
    Buying tampons, hemorroid cream and a fifth. But wait, it gets better.
    In the same visit to the store, running into your boss (I had a job), AND someone from the neighborhood who was not the friendliest person in the world to ya!

If Condoms were added I believe that would have been the trifecta and my life would have been over!
    It's not as much what you get as who sees ya get it! lol

Hostess Cup Cakes...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I outgrew being embarassed about buying tampons by about age 20. One time however, when I was in graduate school and on a severe budget, the local store was having a really great sale so I bought 5 boxes. I bought some other stuff too. Anyway, I wasn't really paying attention until I noticed that the 16 year old male clerk was blushing as he was ringing me up. It took me moment to notice that he was in the midst of ringing up the 5 boxes. Poor thing. I couldn't resist teasing him about though. I said something like, "I bet you wish lived at my house."

Ok, I voted for toilet paper.

The wrapper usually holds 20 rolls of it; I have this feeling that people are looking at me when I buy it; kind of like 'hey, that guy is buying A LOT of toilet paper, he must be full of it' or something like that. And the check out girl smirks at me when I toss it up on the conveyor. I'd rather pay somebody to go buy TP and let me sit out in the car. I got my housekeeper to do it for awhile, but even she backed out of buying it, telling me 'you gotta live with this, you might as well face it'.

I fired her a couple weeks back.

dth.

Quote Originally Posted by dukestheheat View Post
    Ok, I voted for toilet paper.

I second your vote. You really haven't lived until you have to go out to the store at 4 or 5 AM to get it because you didn't know you were out, and the coffee is starting it's magic.

This topic underlines the appreciation I have gained for the self-checkout lines.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    This topic underlines the appreciation I have gained for the self-checkout lines.
    Me too. Now, I'm not embarrassed to buy anything. Well, expect for...

Post Buying alcohol

Quote Originally Posted by RainingThrees View Post
    Buying Coors Light would be embarassing, but not as bad as buying the wrong alcohol. For example, looking at the BACON thread, I'd be embarassed to buy bacon vodka.

Whoops, mixing threads again!!

Buying chicken is embarassing???? Huh??

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Maybe embarrassed is the wrong word, but have you ever tried buying alcohol with a fake id?
    Try going in with no ID. And no, it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Try going in with no ID. And no, it didn't work.
    I rarely had the guts to try and buy beer with a fake ID, or maybe it was just that I was too smart. Dad, you can stop reading here.

One time we went into Winn Dixie with a buddy to buy some beer with a fake ID. We walked in a few minutes apart, nice and casual, secret agent style. We bought snacks while he bought the beer. He was in line in front of us when we went to check out and bought the beer no problem. Then he went over to the cigarette line and got smokes with his REAL ID, that showed he was 19. I know what you're thinking, no he didn't get caught. We were stupefied.

When we were sitting in the car giving him a hard time for almost blowing it, he realizes that the cashier made a mistake and charged him for an extra six pack. He had the guts/stupidity to go back into the store, ask to speak for the manager and get his money back. We were amazed when we walked back out with change in hand. For a brief moment in time, he was a legend.