View Poll Results: Do you prefer soft or hardcover books when reading?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer the soft covers.

10 38.46%
  • I like hard covered books.

8 30.77%
  • Makes no difference to me as long as it's a good story.

8 30.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do you like soft covers or hard covers?

Books. When you read, do you prefer a soft cover or a hard cover? Or does it even matter?

-EJ

Why are you still awake?

If its soft, its usually cheap, and usually gets around more.

The hard ones are the ones I like to keep on the shelf.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverBlowingBubbles View Post

Same here.

Paperbacks, the "sluts" of the literary world?

For the most part, it doesn't matter to me. I check out a lot of books from the library and don't really stop to think about paperback vs. hardcover.

When buying books, it depends. For something like Harry Potter, the last 4 books are so long that you really need hardcovers or they'll fall apart, plus since it's a set, I want it to look nice. But for most things it's nice to go with the cheaper paperback.

Looking at this thread...did I miss the announcement that our avatars have to be animals? I think I need to change mine to the cat.

I like to have hardbacks but generally actually read paperbacks. I have the opposite problem with things like the Harry Potter book - those books are so big that if I fall asleep reading and drop it on my face it's quite a painful wake-up call. Paperbacks are less hazardous. Also as others have noted they are easier for carrying around. I do a lot of reading on trips and I used to read on public transit when I used to ride public transit so a paperback is just easier.

At least twice I have bought a hardback when a much anticipated book came out but then failed to actually read it until the paperback came out.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    Why are you still awake?
    I tried going to bed but couldn't. My mind races 24/7, and a good war movie is on.

-EJ

In any event, I'm torn on this one. Soft paperbacks are cheaper but hardcovers last longer.

I usually don't buy hardcovers but from a very few authors. Like 2. Tres expensive.

I'm trying to cut back on buying books in general (NOT cheap if you buy a lot/often) but I need to get a library card. I used to have one but haven't gotten one in LA yet. I did start trading books with friends, though.

I'll take soft covers, but I really love hardbacks. I'm working on building up a library and I think the hardbacks look better. Hardbacks are usually printed on better paper stock, which makes a difference to me. I also trash the dust covers when I purchase a hardback.

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    and a good war movie is on.

-EJ
    Which one?

just to clear this up - the original title of the thread was "do you like it hard or soft?" right?

just to clear this up - the original title of the thread was "do you like it hard or soft?" right?
    Yes, you are correct. I said the same thing this morning.

My wife is a librarian so which ever one she brings me is fine. I usually get hardcover, sometimes an audiobook. I have listened to every Harry Potter. This was fine for the first five, but I'm kinda mad at myself for not reading the last two.

I hope EJ doesn't use our opinions via his polls to influence his life decisions.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    I'd rather have it soft than hard. First I also read a lot, and buying hardcovers is ridiculously expensive. Library isn't really an option here in Korea, but the next best thing is a couple of used bookstores I know(you get a much better selection there than at the few shops that have an English language section, you just can't rely on them having any particular book/author). But especially because I do carry a book(or books) around with me wherever I go, on the subway, on the bus, in the car, waiting around for a meeting, etc and hardcovers are too cumbersome to deal with.

And I absolutely hate to ever throw even a paperback away, I'd hate to think how attached I'd get if I regularly bought hardcovers.

I prefer reading a hardback book - the pages are usually bigger, they sit nicely in your lap, you don't have to struggle to keep it from closing on you.

Disadvantage - they're big and heavy. I found I read more paperbacks, just because I could carry them around easily - on the metro, always kept a book in my backpack, etc.

But now, I just listen to most of my books. (Yay Audible + Zune!)

Good point- I won't take hardcovers with me when I travel anymore. Too dang heavy.

And I can't bring myself to listen to my books. I like lying in bed or curling up in my chair and reading.

Thumbs up

Addicted to Hard Covers. (...can anyone say, "use your local library?") I pick up books at the bookstores (B&N, Borders, Costco, etc.) at a discount price when appropriate, but don't even mind travelling with Hard Covers since I love them so.

I share new Hard Covers with friends -- I buy one, they buy one or two, and we all swap... and then all get donated to our local libraries.

Nothing, nothing fills me up like a great new Hard Cover book. Ah...

Makes no difference but I feel less guilty if something goes wrong with a paperback...

I frequent my local library often, thus read a lot of hard cover books. Three or four per week. When I travel or if I see something while walking through a book store I purchase a paperback or two. The library is free. The paperbacks travel better.