Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog gone it

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Are a breeder's prices on puppies negotiable? I mean, I saw the prices that littlejohn mentioned in his post about aussies, and it just seems that breeders' prices are much higher than those quoted. I understand that breeders have to cover expenses and all, but just how much wiggle room is there on cost?
    Thanks,
    Lavabe
    Negotiate. They have a number of responsibilities for the pups for the 1st 6 weeks (or more) including feeding, shots, advertising, breeding fee (pick of the litter or the cost of a puppy). When we bred our cocker (twice), we paid the male's owners the cost of one puppy for their dog's err, "services." I think when we bought our puppy, the owner asked $100 for the little darling and we settled on $75-my wife also worked with the owner of the cocker pups so we got "a deal."

Lav,

When I was doing my research on Aussies, I too was stunned at the price tag for some of them. Again, for some people this is their "job", so the operation is very commercial. They only have the breeding operation to make money, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Other breeders are very seriously into championship show dogs. These are always registered, lettered (AKC, etc) and very expensive. While these are some of the prettiest pups I have ever seen, I wasn't looking for a show dog, so I passed on these places.

Be aware though that even top breeders have dogs that don't meet their criteria as a top show dog and list them as "pet" dogs. Unless it is a very unusual case, there isn't a thing physically wrong with the pups, they just aren't elite show pups in the eyes of their breeder. A breeder will be much more interested in making a deal with you for one of their 'pet' dogs than they will for one of their top show dogs. (However, the tough economy effects all but the very rich, so even successful breeders should be a little more open to negotiations right now.)

A couple of the business type breeders I visited turned me off. Not only did they try a hard sell on their show dogs, which I always hate and I am in sales, but they really didn't seem to be dog people. They were doing it for a living, but their operation had way too much of a puppy mill feel for my taste.

I bought Spenser from a back yard breeder, and their entire operation was the guy and his son. They had other full time jobs, but did this because they loved dogs, and it did give them some extra cash.

The mother and father (dogs) were both on site, and I got to spend as much time as I wanted with the pups, playing with them outside their cage. I got to watch them all interact, plus I got a wonderful feel from both parents.

I think your visit to the breeder is a great place to start, as it will give you and your family a great introduction to Aussies. You should be able to see them at work or play. I would stress to the owners though that you aren't interested in showing or breeding your dog; you just want a pet !

I also would strongly recommend you check out the ads in your local paper, or online ads (craigslist ?) to see if anyone has Aussies listed. Our paper usually has 2-3 ads any given week listing Aussies for sale.

littlejohn

Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
    When I was doing my research on Aussies, I too was stunned at the price tag for some of them. Again, for some people this is their "job", so the operation is very commercial. They only have the breeding operation to make money, and there is nothing wrong with that.
    If they are running a puppy mill, there's something very, very wrong with that.

Anyone had much experience with Dachsunds?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Some friends had them when I was growing up. From that small sample size, they had a tendency to get bitey in old age. Also, they look like dorks.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    they had a tendency to get bitey in old age. Also, they look like dorks.
    I have heard that also. And they do look a little dorky.

Question Puppy mills

If they are running a puppy mill, there's something very, very wrong with that.
    On a serious note, how does one spot puppy mills from ads and internet offers for pups?

Thanks,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Big dog mindset, little dog body = fierce bark, but too small to feel threatening (hard not to laugh at them, actually.) They were bred to kill little things in tight spaces; I've seen them play fetch with a ball thrown under a table, for hours. Can have a tendency to bad backs, due to their length - may have to be careful with them getting up on furniture/standing on hind legs, etc.

On a serious note, how does one spot puppy mills from ads and internet offers for pups?
    It's pretty tricky. My mom is a life long dog owner and has a lot of experience finding puppies, and she's still shown up at a few places and realized they were mills. The best bet is to call the owner, make sure the puppies are AKC registered, and try to find out some information about the parents. Our dog was from a family that had a beloved family pet who they wanted to breed so they could always have a puppy of hers in the family. They were just selling others from the litter. A situation like that is the best case scenario.

Or, you could go the truly noble route and rescue a pound puppy.

Question

The best bet is to call the owner, make sure the puppies are AKC registered, and try to find out some information about the parents.
    But it is also quite possible that a place NOT registered with AKC is not a puppy mill?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

But it is also quite possible that a place NOT registered with AKC is not a puppy mill?
    Definitely. And I don't think the AKC even registers those boutiquey breeds (labradoodle, puggle, earljam, cockerpoo), but I may be wrong about that.

Smile Update

Thanks to littlejohn, we now have two places to visit this weekend.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Definitely. And I don't think the AKC even registers those boutiquey breeds (labradoodle, puggle, earljam, cockerpoo), but I may be wrong about that.
    Bold added above - this breed should be registered somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    It's registered with 'To Catch a Predator.'

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I believe each state has its own offender registry. There is also a federal offender registry.

Thumbs up It's a girl

So we put our money down on a 6-wk old black, brown, and white Aussie. We'll be picking her up at 8 weeks.

Thanks to all of you who made excellent suggestions along the way. We found a good breeder who will help us get adjusted to our new pup. I have to say that the blue merle puppies were beautiful, but were both rambunctious males, one of which was show material.

Our pup is laid back.

So the next issue is:

What to call her?

So far, Devildeac is in the lead. It'll be hard to beat his suggestion: Georgia. Thinking along those lines, I figured on another famous Duke women's basketball player. I am lobbying for Abby (which was also the name of one of the females in one of my lemur study groups).

We're open to all reasonable suggestions.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

So we put our money down on a 6-wk old black, brown, and white Aussie. We'll be picking her up at 8 weeks.

Thanks to all of you who made excellent suggestions along the way. We found a good breeder who will help us get adjusted to our new pup. I have to say that the blue merle puppies were beautiful, but were both rambunctious males, one of which was show material.

Our pup is laid back.

So the next issue is:

What to call her?

So far, Devildeac is in the lead. It'll be hard to beat his suggestion: Georgia. Thinking along those lines, I figured on another famous Duke women's basketball player. I am lobbying for Abby (which was also the name of one of the females in one of my lemur study groups).

We're open to all reasonable suggestions.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Congrats! That's great to hear.

Call her 'Rufus.' That's what we were planning to call our next dog, and we were planning to get a girl. You can make it work.

Congrats! That's great to hear.

Call her 'Rufus.' That's what we were planning to call our next dog, and we were planning to get a girl. You can make it work.
    Chaka Khan won't work either.

Congratulations! Now make sure you take the dog to the vet ASAP when you get it. There are a lot of problems that dogs can develop in their early weeks if not properly cared for, parvo virus being the worst of them (and it's entirely preventable).

If you were in the triangle I could give you a top notch recommendation for someone to see.

In Kentucky, the best I can offer is: a lot of the best vets charge more money, but the prices are worth it. They also provide you "best treatment" options, and then move down in price from there. Beware of vets who are overbooked and try to do a volume practice - vets that charge for appointment slots and give you a full 30-45 minutes and talk to you will provide much better care for your animal over the long term. Also, anyone who thinks their primary job is to be a good steward of your money is an idiot - your vet is not your accountant. Their first priority should be caring for your animal, second priority should be finding the best options for the means you have available.

Just my opinion.

Chaka Khan won't work either.
    What about 'Throaty'?