Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog gone it

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    If you like Cockers check out the Boykin Spaniel - A very cute little dog that is much smarter than a Cocker. They're bred to hunt but make great companions and house pets. I fund that most hunting dogs are pretty smart, at least in the sense that they listen o people. I won a German Shorthaired Pointer whose breed us supposed to be a little hyper but he's as laid back as they come.

Goodluck, and don't rule out adopting a puppy. I keep foster dogs and have had a few thet we found, they really appreciate you giving them a better life, hard to explain but they know that you saved them.
    i'll second the recommendation for a boykin, state dog of SC.

http://www.boykinspanielclub.org/

More thoughts on different kinds of dogs

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Most options are on the table... the big thing is that the dog will have to be young.

My Samoyed bias over the Cocker types is pretty strong, though I don't dispute the value and love that Cockers give (e.g., Ozzie's post). I am also biased against schnauzers (had one when growing up), terriers (had one when growing up), and tiny dog breeds. Many aspects of the larger, Samoyed-type dog, would be ideal with our family. And we live near a lot of open spaces, parks, and farms.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Don't underestimate the work required to take care of a large dog with a thick or double coat. It will tax your vacuum cleaner and your patience. Brushing is not optional. The heat of summer can be a serious problems for dogs with lots of thick, long hair.

Having had big dogs most of my life, I've come to understand how likely most are to be prone to hip displacement and serious arthritis. Some sort of certification (if you get a purebred) regarding the hip issue is very important.

For years I'd wanted a Great Dane and thought that breed would be the successor to the Bouvier. I was in my vet's office one day when someone came in with a Great Dane. I was admiring this beautiful dog when I noticed its rump was higher than the receptionist's counter. I asked the dog's age: 9 mos. Later I observed the owner having to lift the dog's rear end into the Jeep they were riding in. I decided that I'd reached and age when lifting a heavy dog would be more of a challenge than when my Bouvier became elderly. In addition, everything costs more for big dogs : meds (based on dog's weight), accessories (collars, leads, car seat or seat belt), boarding fees and FOOD.

Don't know if you're familiar with Bouviers. A fine breed for families... smart, trainable and quite loving, but can be stubborn. Placid personalities and quiet. Tolerant of cats and children. Jack, my Bouvier, (his formal name on his papers was Monsieur Jacques Soniet of Bouchon Kennels) knew many words in English and French, but was never interested in Spanish. He could distinguish the meaning of words in the context of time of day. He learned to take care of business outside on command. He was a great traveler and loved being in the car. People selling door to door were never aggressive or assertive with him standing beside me, silent and large. There's nothing like an intelligent dog to make a great companion. One additional note on big dogs, they tend to have shorter lifespans than smaller ones. Big dogs tend to mature emotionally and physically slower than small dogs. Many bigs are adolescents until 18 mos or longer.

Selecting a suitable dog can be one of the most rewarding commitments you and your family make. I'm looking forward to reading your updates on this process.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    If you want a small dog you shoulod get a beagle. Another option might be a beagle. If you have decided against a beagle you could always reconsider and get a beagle.

There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!
    that probably would not work, but if you could find him a good BAGEL...

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    I've trained and showed dogs for 20 something years. I've found dozens of dogs homes. Anything you need to know just ask!
    Can you find me a either an Irish Terrier or a Smooth Collie (purebreads of course)? From a good breeder close to the Ontario border (the Irish Terrier breeder closest to me is just plain strange and I do not want to buy one of her pups because of that).

I'll see what I can do! Irish Terrier and Smooth Collie..that's an interesting combiantion. CKC registered,mAKC registerd or dual?

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    I'll see what I can do! Irish Terrier and Smooth Collie..that's an interesting combiantion. CKC registered,mAKC registerd or dual?
    CKC registered.

I've always loved Irish Terriers and my Mom was raised with them so I was familiar with them as a kid. We had neighbors who had Collies and I loved them but would prefer a smooth over a rough because of shedding. I also quite like some of the larger Terriers such as Airedales.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    If you want a small dog you shoulod get a beagle. Another option might be a beagle. If you have decided against a beagle you could always reconsider and get a beagle.

There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!

Our first (and so far only) dog was a beagle rescue puppy. I thought I wanted a Sheltie but then this beagle rescued from Katrina had pups and next thing you know we adopted one: http://www.tribeagles.org/

His mom was a beagle (dad unknown) and he actually doesn't look all that much like a beagle and he doesn't bay either, but he has the sweet beagle personality.

Mainly I just wanted to say that another big advantage of rescue dogs & pups is the people who are foster-caring them really know them and can help match you with the right dog. They really want to find the perfect home for each one of them, and even within breed you get a lot of variation in personality so that helps.

Samoyeds are still partly wild, I think, so probably not good with kids. I don't think they like anywhere warm either.

Cockers tend to bite, from what I've heard.

I'm a golden retriever man myself. I had one as a boy, and it was my best friend in the world. Real smart, and helpful too. But they ARE very energetic and need to be excercised a LOT. We got him from the pound as a stray.

My parents have a welsh corgi now, and they LOVE it. Corgies are kind of a paradox. They are small, but they have a big body, and act more like big dogs than small ones. I always joked that corgies were like big dogs that had been chopped off at the knees. They're kind of herders, but they also are used to hunt fox, cause they can go in the burrows. My parents' corgi is a service dog that helps them with everything. She wasn't even trained, she just picked it up trying to help my parents. They had her tested, and she passed the tests to become a service dog without any training (she's not a seeing eye dog or anything, but she does a LOT to help my parents, even picking up dropped pills and handing them back without swallowing them). Real smart.

I'm personally a fan of the english bulldog. Don't need too much excercise or grooming, and don't need a large space to run around in. They're good with kids. The only real problem with them is that they have a short snout, so they tend to overheat in hot climates.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Samoyeds are still partly wild, I think, so probably not good with kids.
    Not the case, according to most of the literature I've seen. For example:
    http://www.samoyedrescue.com/samoyedfaqs.htm
    (scroll down 2/3 the way)

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post

I'm personally a fan of the english bulldog. Don't need too much excercise or grooming, and don't need a large space to run around in. They're good with kids. The only real problem with them is that they have a short snout, so they tend to overheat in hot climates.
    There is the whole drool issue with them though and that can be kind of gross. Otherwise, I've always liked them.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    There is the whole drool issue with them though and that can be kind of gross. Otherwise, I've always liked them.
    Especially if you're a true Churchillian.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    And they shed sharp, pointy hairs that burrow into every piece of your clothing; have skin issues and other breed-common ailments; are fairly flatulent (with the wrong diet); and snore so loud you can hear it two floors away.

But I wouldn't trade my guy in any time soon.

I'll toss in, if you're going the Spaniel route, while it can be helpful to look at a breeder's history with respect to shows (even smaller, local AKC sponsored events) that shouldn't be dispositive. Spaniels, and other sporting breeds, are also judged on their field ability. A dog with good field lines may not be the perfect specimen for a dog show but, functionally speaking, is what the breed is supposed to provide. Field dogs also tend to be less expensive--even with field trial champion lines--without giving anything up (unless you're looking to show).

I have a sporting breed who, I have no doubt, would not be showable (his ears are too big, but, in the field that can be a positive). But, he's a great bird dog...if only I hunted and he certainly has the intelligence and good nature expected from his breed.

Finally, when choosing a puppy, look for a dog that is interested in people. Shy puppies can sometimes lead to angry dogs. Friendly puppies usually grow up to have a nice disposition.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I have a Brittany, who has been a perfect pet and friend. They are high energy bird dogs though and aren't the best walkers on a leash, which is tough because I'm a big walker.

Also keep in mind that puppies are like having kids. They are alot of work.

Windsor's advice is superb. Learn about the breeds. If you live in a hot climate, I don't think a Samoyed is for you. Your lifestyle (do you like walking a dog a fair distance every day, or are you more sedentary?) has a lot to do with what breed you choose. I'm also conversant with lots of breeds, so don't hesitate to ask...choosing a dog based simply on looks or size tends to be a bad idea.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Windsor's advice is superb. Learn about the breeds. If you live in a hot climate, I don't think a Samoyed is for you. Your lifestyle (do you like walking a dog a fair distance every day, or are you more sedentary?) has a lot to do with what breed you choose. I'm also conversant with lots of breeds, so don't hesitate to ask...choosing a dog based simply on looks or size tends to be a bad idea.
    Remember that we live in Lexington, KY now, no longer Atlanta. I can already see major changes in the change of season occurring. It may not be Vermont, but it's a lot more seasonal here than it was in Atlanta.

I have more incentive for more walking here: more parkland, flatter, fewer mosquitoes, and MUCH more scenic. ILJ always complained about that aspect of where we lived. It would really help out both of us to have that walking companion when one of us is not around.

And we have a fenced backyard.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I just want to put in another plug for rescuing a dog if at all possible. I've read that shelters are very full these days b/c people have had to give up their dogs for economic reasons. We rescued our little girl in Chicago when she was just 8 weeks old - a beautiful border collie mix. It think there is definitely something unique about dogs that are rescued. They know it. My brother had the same experience when he rescued a chow mix that had been abused. I've never seen a more gentle, loyal dog now that she has a happy home. It may be harder to find but there are plenty of puppies out there to rescue. Look hard and do a great thing for a dog in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I just want to put in another plug for rescuing a dog if at all possible. I've read that shelters are very full these days b/c people have had to give up their dogs for economic reasons. We rescued our little girl in Chicago when she was just 8 weeks old - a beautiful border collie mix. It think there is definitely something unique about dogs that are rescued. They know it. My brother had the same experience when he rescued a chow mix that had been abused. I've never seen a more gentle, loyal dog now that she has a happy home. It may be harder to find but there are plenty of puppies out there to rescue. Look hard and do a great thing for a dog in need.
    I agree that rescues are a good way to go and that the dogs somehow know they've been rescued. My former roommates and I rescued a German Shepherd/Doberman cross who was all rough and hard when we got her. She was also a little bit head-shy and we think she might have been abused a bit. Now, however, she is no more rough and hard than a muffin top. She is an absolute love sponge. If we were stupid enough to pet her for five hours she'd darned well let us do it. Her whole life revolves around giving and receiving attention. As we say, she just loves love. Now if only we could get her to stop eating the garbage (yes, she can open the cupboard to get to it and, despite all the warnings about dogs and chicken bones, this one can go through the bones from chicken wings without even burping).

Rescue: a terrific idea

After life with a magnificent Bouvier, my current dog is a 10 lb. rescue, probably chihuahua and terrier mix. She's very intelligent, appreciative of having a good home and very loving. She was very passive and afraid when she moved in with me... I'm her third home. The time to help her become better socialized has been well worth the investment. She's one of the brightest dogs I've ever had and a terrific companion.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Agree with all the above. I'm an Airedale owner myself. (Or I should say that he is my owner?) If you like a spunky dog (meaning that you're a terrier person) check out that breed.
    Here is another enthusiastic recommendation for Airedales. They are large and can be headstrong, but they have far more personality than other breeds. Airedales need exercise and attention, but if you are looking for a pet who will be a member of the family, this is the dog for you. I am on my second Airedale and will be fostering rescue Airedales. They can be a challenge but they are so worth the effort.