D'Oh Bama (Homer Simpson's take on the election)

This is a must see.

--Jason "'only in Ohio'-- great line!" Evans

The more I think about it, the more I think this thread probably belongs on the Off-Topic board, so I am moving it.

--Jason "that clip must be from this year's Treehouse of Horrors" Evans

Looks like you talked yourself into it...

Wow, I wonder if that could ever happen to any DBR readers who perpetually engaged in one of our favorite pasttimes-poll skewin'?

I thought that The Simpsons never really revealed where the town of Springfield was...your comment in Post #1 seems to indicate Ohio.

Must... tell... president... McCain!

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I thought that The Simpsons never really revealed where the town of Springfield was...your comment in Post #1 seems to indicate Ohio.
    Watch the clip. In it, homer indicates that faulty, voter-defrauding machines only happen in Ohio. In fact, his comment would seem to prove that Springfield is NOT in Ohio.

--Jason "I thought everyone knew that Springfield borders Ohio, Nevada, Maine and Kentucky" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "I thought everyone knew that Springfield borders Ohio, Nevada, Maine and Kentucky" Evans
    In one episode they revealed that it's Springfield, NT (North Tennessee) and some zip code associated with it. Of course, it is well-established that the town was heavily modeled after Portland

p.s. Can BB really stay out of this conversation now?
    p.p.s. Apple sucks!

Wink Is Billybreen in cahoots with Diebold?

Quote Originally Posted by hc5duke View Post
    In one episode they revealed that it's Springfield, NT (North Tennessee) and some zip code associated with it. Of course, it is well-established that the town was heavily modeled after Portland

p.s. Can BB really stay out of this conversation now?
    p.p.s. Apple sucks!
    Now! Now!

We've tried that last stunt in other threads, even resorting to photos of his favorite techno-geek, Bill Gates. We've also threatened him with a Zune (or I suppose a Nokia, the latest attempt at knocking off iPhone).

We have also tried Flight of the Conchords references. I doubt Homie will bring back Billybreen. What ARE we going to do without 'breen?

FWIW, I loved the Simpsons clip. Technically, however, the Diebold-like machines where we voted in Georgia don't have curtains. Where I voted last, you simply raised your hand if an issue developed.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Watch the clip. In it, homer indicates that faulty, voter-defrauding machines only happen in Ohio. In fact, his comment would seem to prove that Springfield is NOT in Ohio.

I recall an episode a few years back ("Behind the Laughter" perhaps) in which Marge starts the story by saying something like "In a small town in Oh...Hi Maude). My memory could be off, though.

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I recall an episode a few years back ("Behind the Laughter" perhaps) in which Marge starts the story by saying something like "In a small town in Oh...Hi Maude). My memory could be off, though.
    I think she actually said "oh, hi-o Maude"... SNPP lists it as "Oh hiya, Maude"

Waterloo, Ontario (unfortunately, no longer in London England).
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Where I voted last, you simply raised your hand if an issue developed.
    I don't understand why you guys don't just go to paper ballots in order to remove any chance of problems from the electronic machines.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    I don't understand why you guys don't just go to paper ballots in order to remove any chance of problems from the electronic machines.
    two words: hanging chad

two words: hanging chad
    Just use a paper ballot on which are printed the names of the candidates. All a person has to do is to mark an X in the cirlce next to the person's name. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by colchar View Post
    Just use a paper ballot on which are printed the names of the candidates. All a person has to do is to mark an X in the cirlce next to the person's name. Simple.
    Would those be hand-counted, or would a machine read it? Former: I would worry about human error; latter: we're back to the same issue with electronic voting machines.

Would those be hand-counted, or would a machine read it? Former: I would worry about human error; latter: we're back to the same issue with electronic voting machines.
    We use paper ballots as I described above and they are hand counted. Each riding (I think you would call them districts) has several polling stations. The voter goes in, marks their ballot with an X in the circle next to the name of the person they are voting for, refolds the piece of paper, and places it in the ballot box. Each party has monitors at every polling station, along with Elections Canada representatives to make sure everything runs smoothly. Once the polling station closes the boxes are opened and the votes are hand counted with representatives from Elections Canada and each party still on hand as observers. The votes are tallied and reported. They are then counted again to ensure accuracy. They are then delivered to some central location (not sure exactly what happens to them there or how long they are held for) in case a recount is needed (recounts are automatic when a candidate wins by less than a certain number of votes).

It is actually quite a simple process and, although I've heard of a few disputes over recounts (natural in such a close result), I cannot ever remember hearing about irregularities such as you folks have experienced in the US (on what seems to be a very regular basis). It just seems to me, and to many other people I know, that you guys make things too difficult and thus open to problems (electronic errors, hanging chads, or whatever). Sometimes the simplest way really is best.