Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by houstondukie View Post
    I think its pretty obvious Duke is not Patterson's top choice.

I understand he wants to wait until the dust settles with the coaching carousal, but I'm just saying, if Duke was truly his top choice, does it matter what happens at Kentucky and Florida? I would love for Duke to add Patterson, but do we really want a guy who would have prefered to be at a different school?
    If Patterson decides to come to Duke, he will come because Duke is his first choice. His preferences prior to when he makes a decision and signs make little difference, since they are subject to change. If they did, then perhaps we should be concerned about Taylor King, who originally committed (verbally) to UCLA. Apparently Duke wasn't his first choice throughout the recruiting process, but it was when the time to sign rolled around.

Additionally, it's also possible that Patterson doesn't have a pre-determined decision tree that governs where he will go based on what Billy Donovan does. Perhaps he would rather let the dust settle and then consider his options.

However long it takes, I hope he ends up at Duke!

M. Tullius

News on Patterson?

Has anyone heard anything on PP lately? I thought he was going to narrow his list down to three by the end of march. Did that happen? I imagine he is waiting to see what Billy Donovan does, but I thought he would have whiddled the list down by now.
    Also, if Huggy Bear goes to West Virginia, does WVU all of a sudden look good to PP?
    Just anxious to hear where he is going one way or the other. Then again, this last season has made me leary of placing too much emphasis on recruits. McDonalds AAs don't automatically translate into instant success...

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post

However long it takes, I hope he ends up at Duke!

M. Tullius
    I agree completely!

Patrick Patterson, come on down... you're the next contestant on "Duke All-American"!!!

Go Duke!!!!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

From the update today, it really does not sound promising for Duke. I agree that if Duke were his top choice, the coaching issues at other schools would not affect his decision and he would declare. Sounds like FL to me because I don't think Donovan is going anywhere unless it is to the NBA. But I sure would love for Patrick to surprise us all by committing to Duke. Please, Patrick!

If he commits to us . . .

how long do you think it would take for a "PP to transfer" thread to begin?

As soon as he doesn't play 30 minutes in the first game.

It all sounds like a longshot re: Patterson----- I haven't read anything where he's even quoted with a mere mention of Duke

It seems like it's obviously Kentucky or Florida---- it would be hard for a kid to turn down Donovan right now, also, given all the hype around him as a coach.

I was going to post last night that I had a bad vibe on him coming - gonna say it was 10-20% - but with his recruitment still active I didn't want to post such a thing. With the statements in the article posted on the main page, the fact that our team is set for next year and one could see where they stood, I'd say it is a 5% chance now. Sounds like he's Florida's to lose.

Well, he sounds like a good kid with a good family and I was impressed with his demeanor during the recruiting. Still would like to see him coming to Duke and I think he'd have a better chance at playing time and a NC here, but reading between the lines it says FL to me.

Good luck to him. Has to be a tough decision. Hope he picks Duke...

yesterday's update

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/...52/1002/SPORTS

I'm not sure his latest statements mean anything, but he is certainly keeping the media glued to him by giving as little away as possible.

Memphis article on Patterson

Here's a little update on P.P. Don't know if it's been posted before, but there's an April 6 update stating that John Belein and Tubby are still trying to stay in the mix too, at their new schools. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recrui...playerId=43944

And here's an article from today's Memphis paper. Sounds like Singler and Smith are doing their best to help Duke land Patterson! http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...467888,00.html Good article, but once again, the wrong spelling of "Dukies" is used. Grrrrr.
    Last edited by Susan; 04-06-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    Here's a little update on P.P. Don't know if it's been posted before, but there's an April 6 update stating that John Belein and Tubby are still trying to stay in the mix too, at their new schools. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recrui...playerId=43944

And here's an article from today's Memphis paper. Sounds like Singler and Smith are doing their best to help Duke land Patterson! http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/...467888,00.html Good article, but once again, the wrong spelling of "Dukies" is used. Grrrrr.
    Just a vibe I get. But, the longer he waits the better for us I think. Thanks for that link Susan - great article. Maybe I'll move my 5% back to 10-20%.

Tea Leaves

Based on PP's recent public comments, it sounds as though he is a done deal for UF. He (and his parents) sound infatuated with Donovan/UF, and if he is even considering Duke, he should be playing in the World Series of Poker. This is too bad both for him and us, because he would be a very good fit on the team next year, would likely play major minutes, and would win far more games here than he will at UF.

Who knows what he is thinking

Since there is really no way to know what he is thinking, it seems to me that based on what we do know about Duke and Florida, he is just as likely to pick Duke

Here is what we know:

1) Patterson is playing with Singler and Smith at the Nike Hoops summit - they are both trying to recruit him, and Singler is kicking *** - Patterson has to see that teaming with these guys (plus King) has got to mean a chance at a national championship down the road

2) Patterson's parents don't want him going too far - Florida is the farthest from home of the schools on his list

2) Patterson's parents are moving with him - job market way better in the triangle (Silicon Valley of the South) than Gainsville

4) He wants (or maybe its his parents again) good academics - no offense to any Florida grads, but come on, Duke is an elite academic institute - if he breaks his leg in college he will be glad he went to Duke

5) Speaking of injuries, where else would you want to go play basketball if you were worried about injuries? - Duke has the best medical staff because of Duke hospital of any major hoops program - just ask Elton Brand or Carlos Boozer

6) Florida has a starting spot for him next year, but they will really stink with their top 6 guys all leaving

7) Duke will have a starter spot for him as well (he has to see this, a real powerful inside presence is what Duke really needs)

8) Duke will be very good with him next year, and a killing machine the year
    after - if he is 2 and done and wants a national championship ring, he should go to Duke

9) Duke is on national TV nearly every game, if you want exposure, Duke is your place

10) There is still a risk Donovan goes to NBA, maybe not this year, but what
    about next year or the year after that? With Coach K and Dawkins both basically gauranteed to be around for 4 years, it is a much more stable program

11) Florida fans still care more about football, it is a football school - they don't even sell out all of their basketball games after winning the NC. I am sure Patterson has been to Cameron, so he knows what a real college b-ball atmosphere is like

Billy Donovan is hot right now, but I just don't think kid's make a life altering decision based on stuff like this.

He seems like a thoughtful kid, and will make the decision that is best for him, but I see no reason to assume he is going to Florida. The Duke resume listed above is compelling. It is very possible he was holding off on his decision to see what McRoberts and the Florida players were going to do. Now that he knows, it seems like Duke is a great fit. Either way, I think he will be a great player.

I seem to recall hearing that PP left Camaron early in his only visit there.

According to this article yesterday on the Louisville Courier Journal site, Patterson will likely not make a decision until May. His mom emphasized again that all six schools on his list are currently still in the running.

Nike Hoops summit is on FSN at 4PM.

With no Duke ball to watch, I'll just have to watch 2 incomers and 1 recruit.

PP in Cameron

I have no idea what the kid is thinking, but just to put an old rumor to rest (again!), Patterson did not leave Cameron early during his visit -- it went really well.

He was on hand for the Duke-Boston College game Sunday Jan. 28, sitting behind the Duke bench ... just a few feet from Shelden Williams, whose jersey was retired at halftime. Patterson sat through the ceremony, watched the second half and was still milling around with several of his Huntington teammates 20 minutes after the game.

The next day, Huntington (sans OJ Mayo, who was suspended for pushing a ref) practiced in Cameron. The next night (with Mayo joining the team after winning a restraining order), Huntington played in Cameron, beating an LA team after Mayo fouled out and Patterson stepped up (20 points, 12 rebounds, 6 blocks, 9-of-10 from the floor).

I repeat, I have no idea what the kid will do (although I do hear that the Duke coaches think that the longer it plays out, the better for Duke). But I do know that PP's visit to Cameron went very well ... as well as it could have gone. He did NOT leave early.

My beat is Higgans comes in with some $$ and PP goes to West Virginia.

I have seen a lot of people asking if PP was serious about Duke. Well, Duke has an in home visit just before the signing period starts. Duke is very much in this thing!

The relationship Duke has developed with the Pattersons is genuine. Sure, they made up some ground -- had to, but they are not about to back out of the race and keep in mind that Duke was welcomed by the Pattersons and have gotten to know them.

Duke offers PP a spot where he plays right away with a good supporting cast. UF and Billy D have done a good job of late, but the light is starting to dim and the reality is that if he was so certain he'd stay at UF, he would have announced it before the final four.

Then there are Duke fans that say he would have signed when McRobert's left, had he been serious. Uh, he has maintained all along that he would take the decision to the last minute and he will.

That said, be patient for Dukes sake. Don't over-speculate or create rumors unless you have some firm information. His camp does read the boards, and they pay attention to what is said.

So, please don't damage our efforts with comments like, I give up or don't care, or had he wanted to be a Devil he would have signed already.

It is not that simple folks! He wants to do the right thing and the longer it goes the better off Duke will be. Why? Because of what the Blue Devils have to offer.

Teams use neagtive recruiting tactics against Duke, but K stays away from that. In the end, his straight forward manner may just win Patrick over.

I don't think there is a single Duke fan here that can honestly say that Duke wouldn't be a great career choice for Patterson, especially with the pro track record, not to mention the many good citizens the school has produced.

As for his talent ... I have seen him play at least ten times, and I assure you he is a solid prospect. He is no Oden, but he is a player that can develop each and every year.

I think it comes down to this for Patrick ... do you want a friend or a mentor?
    Last edited by watzone; 04-09-2007 at 12:59 AM.

GREAT post! Good to hear your perspective. Thanks!