Page 15 of 29 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    [sarcasm]Nobody is ever sarcastic on a message board.[/sarcasm]

(This is an example of another way to clearly indicate sarcasm whem posting on a message board. Another site I frequent has a rolling the eyes smiley that is absolutely awesome. Y'all should look into getting one. It wears glasses and one can clearly see that it's saying "Riiiiiiiight.")

To pick a semantic nit, don't we really mean "irony"? I don't think of it as sarcasm unless it's mean-spirited, which posters on this board seldom are.

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Isn't it a bit unusual for him to keep stringing people along like this? I'm starting to get annoyed. Is there an attitude problem?
    Many UK fans are getting frustrated too. I ask them to just relax and let things work themselves out. I liken his sitation to house hunting. He has three houses he likes for different reasons. One he likes the location, another he likes the lay out, another, he might like a certain room. This makes it very hard to choose. It's a buyers market so he doesn't have to be in a hurry to decide. Also, some people HATE house hunting, but in his case he in enjoying the process.

I know this can be frustrating, but I wouldn't let it get to ya. What will happen will happen.

To pick a semantic nit, don't we really mean "irony"? I don't think of it as sarcasm unless it's mean-spirited, which posters on this board seldom are.
    I have to say, I've never really appreciated that definition of irony, rather thinking it was solely used for such as "It's ironic that he died of thirst never knowing that there was a well 5 feet away." I've always used sarcasm to denote what should correctly be called irony, i.e. non-vicious statements intended to have the opposite effect. Thanks!

"I don't think of it as sarcasm unless it's mean-spirited, which posters on this board seldom are."

I'm trying to think of a sarcastic response to that but you'd probably think I was being ironic.

You can tell it's off-season when we're discussing semantics.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    "I don't think of it as sarcasm unless it's mean-spirited, which posters on this board seldom are."

I'm trying to think of a sarcastic response to that but you'd probably think I was being ironic.

You can tell it's off-season when we're discussing semantics.

We could also discuss the application of "facetious" to these situations as well . . .

Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

You mean this one:
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    You mean this one:
    That one is close to what we need, but it seems too happy. On the other site I mentioned, the smilie much more clearly conveys the "as if" idea. So, for example, say somebody were to post something like, "If only we'd played zone the entire second half, we would've won the game," then you could follow it with, "Yeah. That would've worked for sure," followed by that smilie, and it would be crystal clear that you thought the post was bogus. Using the smilie you just posted it doesn't work as well because he almost looks AMUSED.

Oh well, like somebody said earlier, you can really tell we're in the off-season.

Somebody better figure out how to speed up the calendar, or we will all go nuts before November!

Yeah, enough of 24 & Spidy

Go Advanced

Agree. I only posted that one because it is already on here in the advanced reply to thread, to the right of the text body, 3 down & 3 across... but a more edgy sarcastic smily would be cool, sort of a cross between this & this .

Man, I need a hobby. How many days to start of practice? That many!

Now, to get back on subject: What is the latest on PP?
    Last edited by Son of Jarhead; 05-04-2007 at 06:32 PM. Reason: fat fingers
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Florida

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

I don't see how Donovan interviewing with the Memphis Grizzlies can help Florida's chances any.

Considering Patrick's remarks not too long ago about Huggins backing out on his commitments to the K-State recruits it seems that Patrick takes loyalty very seriously and is very skeptical about coaches' "promises." Right now I'm sure he's got Billy telling him that he's not going anywhere and then what does he do, he goes and interviews with an NBA team.

Is Billy going to stay at Florida? Probably, but fooling around just shows how little his "word" means. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Pitino isn't in his ear saying "wait to see how the lottery plays out and THEN consider going to one of the top 2 teams to get Oden or Durant." Look how it worked out for Pitino when he picked a team before the lottery was solidified...

I'm not predicting this or anything, just saying it wouldn't surprise me...
    Last edited by SilkyJ; 05-06-2007 at 06:36 PM.

Kentucky fans sounding pretty confident

Several posters saying "sources" indicate PP to UK. Gillispie will be the speaker at PP's high school banquet tomorrow night.

i'll wait to hear it from watzone.

I was just wondering if Gillispie speaking at PP's school broke any rules...and if i'm reading correctly it does seems PP is a recruit. I could be wrong but thats what I got out of it...Maybe someone with more knowledge on the subject matter would know for sure.

http://wiretap.area.com/Gopher/Libra...ports/ncaa.int

This could certainly mean that PP might plan on announcing before the banquet.

I would call the cookies bit satire and not irony. An essential element of irony is a contradiction between literal and intended meaning.

We could also discuss the application of "facetious" to these situations as well . . .
    I think that works better than "sarcasm" and "irony", but I think we should use "satire" because it connotes intellectualism.

Losing PP would be a bit of a blow. How on earth does K lose out to a guy who wasn't even at Kentucky just a few months ago?

*sigh* Whelp, it aint over till the fat lady sings I suppose, so I'll keep hoping.

Drew Gordon has a press conference today

Scout has him down to UCLA, UW, and Zona. He and Ty Walker are 2 guys I wonder why Roy didn't offer. Anyway, with Gordon staying out west it makes the Patterson stakes that much larger. I know Duke is after Greg Monroe but he is listed at 195 lbs, so he may not be too much help up front any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hondoheel View Post
    Several posters saying "sources" indicate PP to UK. Gillispie will be the speaker at PP's high school banquet tomorrow night.
    Gillispie has been slated to talk at that banquet for a few weeks now. While they were trying to keep it hush hush, we knew about it. Anyone here seriously think PP has been sitting on an answer for two weeks? Nope. I would be TOTALLY shocked if rumor mill UK fans are correct that PP makes any sort of announcement. For one thing, this is a sports banquet and is about MUCH more than PP. To steal the thunder from his classmates would be highly inappropriate.

This does NOT break any rules as long as BG doesn't address PP directly or say anything more than "hi" to him. Billy the kid spoke at the same event last year.

Speaking of Billy the Kid, word is, he and the Knicks have spoke. He wasn't "100%" sure of the job and threw out an unheard of offer that was rejected. It seems these college coaches never learn. You shouldn't dip your toe unless you are going to jump in.

While I think UK has as good a shot as anyone for PP AND Lucas, its still anyone's guess NO ONE (outside of their camps) knows anything more than that.