Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Patrick Patterson

I realize I probably shouldn't even question this with Patrick Patterson still considering Duke and the possibility he or a family member may read this. But what are your impressions of Patrick Patterson as a player. He's ranked 15th in the nation which has to mean he has some skills. But I watched him in an ESPN HS game a month or so back which turned out to be the OJ Mayo show. How has he done in open tournaments, and most importantly how is his rebounding? I'd love to see the guy go to Duke, especially if McRoberts goes pro. I just wonder exactly how good he is right now and how good he might possibly be down the road.

patrick? you reading this?

he is unreal. the perfect fit for duke. the type of player who will get his jersey retired and win a national championship (or two or three) and win player of the year a couple times. he will go on to be the number one overall pick. he is amazing.

patrick, you hear all that? see you in blue next year? yes?

Yes he is good....

Quote Originally Posted by chrisheery View Post
    he is unreal. the perfect fit for duke. the type of player who will get his jersey retired and win a national championship (or two or three) and win player of the year a couple times. he will go on to be the number one overall pick. he is amazing.

patrick, you hear all that? see you in blue next year? yes?
    I'm thinking you are predicting the best case scenario, but hey "way to think positive." However, Patterson is really good from the vidoes I have seen and seeing him play in person a couple of times. I agree that Mayo took most of the spotlight, but he gets a lot of "garbage points" and plays defense and rebounds well. I think he is drawing comparisons to Elton Brand the way he is a beast down low. If and when he comes to Duke and works on his offensive game (since Mayo won't be there to ball-hog the whole time) he could be really special.

Patterson is a great talent. With Josh gone this guy will get a lot of playing time next year, and I think that is a good thing.

Patterson and the other freshman coming in should get a lot of playing time together and great things will happen with this crop of talent.

McRoberts wasn't necessarily the answer for Duke next year, but the climb back just got a lot steeper. Not good news.

Agreed....

Quote Originally Posted by evrdukie View Post
    McRoberts wasn't necessarily the answer for Duke next year, but the climb back just got a lot steeper. Not good news.
    The only good part that could come from this might be that Duke looks more intriguing now that there is a starting spot available. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

For Patterson.........forgot that part.
    Last edited by CMS2478; 03-22-2007 at 12:24 PM.

McRoberts Leaving: The Patterson Effect

Now that McRoberts is leaving early for the NBA, I hope Coach K and the rest of his staff put more effort in trying to secure Patterson for next year. Do you think the chance of Patterson coming to Duke just increased based on McRoberts news??
    Last edited by throatybeard; 03-22-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Our chances increased without a doubt. Now we just have to close.

If the coaches knew McBob was leaving, they have conveyed that to Patterson. Is it a bad sign that he has not signed/declared?

It shouldn't be a good sign or a bad sign that PP hasn't declared (for Duke or anyone else). He said early on that he would cut his list down to 3 schools at the end of March and make his final decision in April. While McRoberts leaving Duke (early) is probably a factor in PP's decision, why would he immediately declare before he said he would? We'll just have to be patient with Patterson, the same way we were with Lance.

at the same time..

Patrick is very important so its hard to be patient, but i understand we will have to wait

I have never seem PP play, but from what i hear he is a killer inside and rebounds very well! I would really like to see him play for us next season. with josh going pro, I dont like our chances with Z maning the middle next year on his own!

I've watched him play and he is a real beast. On local radio they were comparing him strongly to Shelden at this point in his career. He will be a tremendous help to the program if we can land him. He is NOT at all similar to other big men we have recruited in the past few years - he plays inside, can catch the ball and is very, very strong.

Tubby leaving to Minnesota also helps the chances of PP coming to Duke. Florida will have basically no talent next year so if I was PP I would be going to Durham.

Florida has a terrific recruiting class coming in so I think it's an overstatement to say that they will have "no talent."

Ky fans will probably use Patterson as a way to blame Duke for Tubby leaving. The explanation will be something like "Tubby heard Patterson was going to Duke so he quit before the news got out" or "Coach K was the second gunman on the grassy knoll" or somesuch. They're kooks.

Is he explosive inside and does he have good hops?

He's a Duke-style, real PF

Though others could likely share more insight, I have read a bit as well as seen Patterson play on TV a few times. As for recent Duke references, Boozer and Shelden most come to mind, though perhaps a notch below each in terms of clearly standing out as a dominant force. He's probably a bit more coordinated/mobile (like Boozer) but with long arms and good defensive timing (like Shelden). He has hops/reasonable explosiveness but there is legitimate reason why he's not a top 5 prospect. Basically, he's really good, but not a complete freak of nature (meaning that in a purely positive way, basketball-wise). He is pretty much consensus ranked between #10 and #15 in a solid HS class and is the #2 rated at the PF position. Importantly, he is also supposedly a good kid and excellent student.

He would, without a doubt, be an important player for the program as Brendan Wright and Kevin Love (I'm guessing) were the other players Duke potentially imagined playing the 'strong but skilled' PF position. This is a player-type which Duke has had excellent success in developing (Brand, Boozer, S. Williams) and which immediately earns a kid alot of minutes, so long as he has good hands.

All that being said, don't sleep on the potential development of Thomas and/or Zoubek this summer. They were the youngest players (age-wise) on our team this year and have a real opportunity to add some lean bulk which would immediately improve the solidly-skilled games they already possess and allow them the confidence while on the court to develop even further.

The other 'X' factor inside will be McClure who seemed to lose much of his explosiveness after his injury in the B.C. game. If he gets that back, while we wouldn't be huge with him in at the 4/5, we will already be very skilled and versatile, even without Patterson.

My general feeling is that without Patterson, unless Thomas or Zoubek make major strides (which they may), we'll be good-very good (limited mostly due to exploitable interior defense), but one more year away from being a likely Final Four contender. With Patterson, we'll have at least equivalent depth as UNC this year, and likely be a Top 8 team for most of the season (as we'll still be young), but a serious contender by February, 2008.

To me, either of these sound pretty good, but the latter is certainly preferable.

Go Lady Devils!!!! Go Duke!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!
    Last edited by ikiru36; 03-22-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BTBall View Post
    Florida has a terrific recruiting class coming in so I think it's an overstatement to say that they will have "no talent."
    I dunno about "terrific." It is a good class but really only includes one top tier player. I think it is certainly one of the 10 best classes in the land, but probably not among the top 5. When you consider what Florida is likely to lose and what they are likely to bring back (none of their top 4 players and only 2 guys who saw meaningful minutes this season), it is not the kind of class that will keep Florida in the Top 25.

If Kentucky is out of the picture, I would submit that the only school left on PP's list who looks to be a Top 25 team next year is Duke.

-Jason "with a top team and playing time available, one would think PP would have an easy choice-- we'll see" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Ky fans will probably use Patterson as a way to blame Duke for Tubby leaving. The explanation will be something like "Tubby heard Patterson was going to Duke so he quit before the news got out" or "Coach K was the second gunman on the grassy knoll" or somesuch. They're kooks.
    From what I've read on Ky forums, Ky fans are celebrating Tubby's leaving. I doubt they'll blame anyone.