Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coach P

Coach P

is this a good choice or a bad one? i follow the wbb team alot, but i dont know much about McCallie. Is she a good fit for our program or not? i have heard alot from both sides, just seeking more opinions...

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    is this a good choice or a bad one? i follow the wbb team alot, but i dont know much about McCallie. Is she a good fit for our program or not? i have heard alot from both sides, just seeking more opinions...
    While I'll defer to others about specifics re: McCallie as a person, her coaching credentials are excellent (superior, in fact, to Ms. Boyle, at the same approximate age, 38). She is (at least) a 4 time Conference Coach of the Year and a former National Coach of the Year. She is nationally known as well as Head Coach of the (quite successful thusfar) US U20 Women's team. She has previously turned two programs (Maine and Michigan State) into perennial NCAA tourney invitees and has taken a squad to the NCAA championship game. Having attended and played for Northwestern herself, hopefully that gives her a feel for Duke as an academic institution. For whatever it's worth, her MBA is from Auburn, perhaps giving her some Southern cred as well.

At least on paper this is an excellent and exciting hire. I'm most interested to simply know that the players are happy and excited (including our recruits).

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Lady Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. if this is indeed a done deal, let the tent city naming games begin!!!!!! McCalliesburg? (much better than P-ville, methinks)
    Last edited by ikiru36; 04-18-2007 at 02:31 PM.

To me, McCallie seems to be a better hire than Boyle would have been. I realize that Boyle had the "Duke connection" or whatever, but staying within the Duke family tree right now probably isn't the best option. From what I've read, I think McCallie would be a great hire for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by godukecom View Post
    Time will tell, but I think this is an excellent hire. I pumped my fist in the air and said "Yesss!" when I got the "Breaking News" email from the Chronicle. We acted fast and got a quality coach...perhaps the sky is not falling after all.

Looks like Joe Alleva keeps his job...for now.

The Chronicle story can be found here...
    http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/m...-2849943.shtml

Over on the devilsden forums, the opinion is very mixed...I would have preferred Mitchell personally. McCallie has a good resume, but I'm not sure her personality and style are the best fit for the program. But at the worst, she'll be our "Doh hire" -- a transition coach who'll have some short term success with G's recruits, and hopefully won't run the program into the ground until we get Boyle or someone even better after a few years (assuming JA is finally gone...one can dream).

By the way, i'd be thrilled to be wrong and have McCallie be the savior that finally takes us to the top. But I'm skeptical right now.

what about ...

I don't much about McCallie. I do know that marquette coach terri mitchell would have been an excellent choice.

Her husband has a temper. He got into some altercation when they had lost their bags at a Florida Airport. Apparently his grandparents founded McCallie's prep school in Chattanooga Tennesee. He is an econ professor at MSU.But that doesn't mean anything about her coaching skills.

We won't know how good of a hire this is until the 2010 season is done - the first post-Abby season.

Obviously McCallie isn't in the same universe as Goestenkors, who went undefeated in the regular season and outscored the opposition by 25, while McCallie's MSU lost about 9 games and only beat opponents by about 6 points per game in 07 (64 to 58, not much of a high powered offense). But she was the head coach of the 2006 USA U20 team that went 5-0 setting 28 records and winning gold while slaughtering opponents by 62 per game, while Boyle assisted her. I think Gail coached a more talented USA team that summer and didn't win by as much even though she was USA basketball coach of the year.

But McCallie's bio and resume of AP national coach of the year, 2005 national championship game, 2006 U20 head coach and gold medal, turning around Michigan State and Maine into consistent winners and NCAA teams, and going to 2 national title games in 4 years as the top recruiting assistant at Auburn after bringing in a top 4 class, is better than any other current candidates. McCallie graduated Northwestern in 87 and has an MBA from Auburn, so she's 3 years younger than Boyle who hasn't accomplished nearly as much although she hasn't been a head coach for long. Still would have preferred Boyle or of course G because nobody criticized them.

But McCallie is WAY better than Terri Mitchell, who did nothing at all in 11 years at Marquette and also had a slow plodding offense, her best year ever last season she got slaughtered by over 30 in the second round of 2007 NCAA. Hopefully McCallie will play the same style she played with USA's U20 team and beat everyone by 62. Someone said she plays matchup zone all the time, well that would be great against UNC, Tennessee, and Rutgers, not UMD. She probably coaches to her talent, the USA U20 team probably pressed and stole tons of balls. I only had a problem with Gail's coaching in one game of her Duke career against Rutgers when she didn't play much zone and didn't use any depth, it was like watching coach K, and where was Bridgette Mitchell all season? Anyway, Duke should have a chance at a national title next season.

Just like Gail brought Erickson and Van Gorp from Purdue to get Duke to the 99 title game, McCallie should bring 6'9" superfreshman Allyssa Dehaan with her. Dehaan averaged a triple double in HS and as a freshman, 12.5 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 4.5 bpg, same as Bales the senior. She's the superbig center Duke needs like Van Gorp and Bales to get to the title game, obviously fits McCallie's system. She's premed so Duke which needs reliable post depth should be perfect for her. Dehaan would probably start immediately and be on TV 15+ times a season, she could win a national title or two for Duke.
    Last edited by bluedevil; 04-18-2007 at 03:30 PM.

McCallie has done great things, with much less talent, at MSU and at Maine. I think her coaching abilities may exceed that of Coach G (not trying to start a debate here; I realize this will take time to evaluate).

The biggest questions are whether she can recruit top players to Duke, get the most out of a team filled with elite players (make everyone happy - paging oleroyweeums, paging oleroyweeums), and hold up to the pressure of recruiting and competing in the ACC. IMO, Coach McCallie will need to have a top-notch recruiter as one of her assistants (too bad Tia Jackson left). Note that some of her best recruits at MSU arrived while Felisha Legette-Jack, now head coach at Indiana, was McCallie's assistant.

But overall, I think it is a great hire for Duke. I don't think it is a "D'oh" situation. Maybe McCallie=Coach K, while Coach G=Bill Foster, and Duke WBB wins the nat'l title soon? Fans can dream!

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
    Hopefully McCallie will play the same style she played with USA's U20 team and beat everyone by 62. Someone said she plays matchup zone all the time, well that would be great against UNC, Tennessee, and Rutgers.
    McCallie's/MSU's match-up zone is quite good, and it helped MSU knock off Tennessee in the 2005 FF. Whether Duke will beat everyone by 62..., well, who knows. Maybe if Elena DelleDonne puts Duke back on her list and comes to Durham.

coach mccallie

what is the matter with you people? mccallie is as good a hire as possible (on paper). we'll all have to wait and see how it works out. but she won at maine and michigan state. she was in the ncaa finals in '05 and was national coach of the year. she's big with usa basketball. somebody obviously thinks she can coach. she recently turned down florida and signed a 7-year contract at msu for $500K with incentives that could have taken it to $643K. she has a $500K buyout. what does this mean? it means that the rumors that duke didn't care about women's basketball because it loses $2.7 million are wrong. mccallie obviously is gettingbig contract, as coach G had, although it was falsely reported that she was the fifth highest paid duke coach. wrong. she was second. she was offered $1M to stay. and one other thing, at msu, mccallie was known at Coach P (her middle initial). we're just going down the alphabet. regardless of how it eventually works out, this is an extremely impressive hire. pat summit and geno weren't coming.

But McCallie is WAY better than Terri Mitchell, who did nothing at all in 11 years at Marquette and also had a slow plodding offense,
    Completely disagree with this, but don't take my word for it, ask RobC what he thinks. Mitchell has managed very well with less talent, navigated a change in conferences very well, and is widely considered to be a more capable recruiter with the resources provided to her; she was also Big East coach of the year last year, which I hardly consider "nothing". McCallie has shown she can walk into situations where things are already good and make something of them; her ability to build and to recruit are much more in question.

Just like Gail brought Erickson and Van Gorp from Purdue to get Duke to the 99 title game, McCallie should bring 6'9" superfreshman Allyssa Dehaan with her.
    Not crazy about poaching a player after the questionable decision of pursuing a coach who signed an extension and has since been shopping for schools, even while stringing her old school around in the most public and ungraceful manner possible.

As a short term decision, this could actually turn out to be good, given the recruits we already have in place...your post reinforces the fact that McCallie can do well with strong existing resources. However, that's no reason to downplay Mitchell, who by all accounts is a better person, a better player's coach, and could very well turn out to be a better coach if given a chance at a bigger program. But I guess we'll never know.

I'm unhappy with the decision, but after a day I'll move on and hope some of the unsavory evidence out there about McCallie will be put behind her, and she can represent Duke in a way that will make Duke students and fans proud.

Regarding McCallie's supposedly slow plodding offenses vs. Gail's varied fastbreaking offenses, how many national titles has Gail won with her offense paired with fantastic defense and all that talent Duke academics brought in? G's a great x and o coach as well as recruiter, kind of like Mike Montgomery but with much more talent, but she never went all the way. If McCallie's critics are right, how the hell did she win so many games without a single McDonalds allamerican? And why would Duke's recruiting suffer when they have the best academics and hoops, that's why Harding and Bales came along with many, many others.

I think the future of the womens game is with gigantic centers like Bales or 6'9" Dehaan just dominating inside like Yao Ming. Not very exciting or fast paced but efficient and effective. Bales was by far Duke's MVP this season, just like Van Gorp in 99. That's why I was disappointed G didn't go after 6'6", 220lb, Ta'shia Phillips harder. Can you imagine 6'9" Dehaan, 6'5" Black, and either 6'4" Thomas or 6' Mitchell just playing volleyball in the paint? Tennessee's whole offense is letting Candice Parker or Holdsclaw score or getting the offensive rebound, they never have much outside shooting. UConn's defense is ten times more important than their offense, haven't they won plenty of games with scores like 60-40? Just have Abby, Wanisha, or Jasmine launch a 3 or pass in to a superbig center to dunk it, not very complicated. Duke should just recruit the biggest centers possible who will just ignore any opposing post defenses. Now that Duke has McCallie, they have to land Dehaan or Ta'Shia Phillips.
    Last edited by bluedevil; 04-18-2007 at 03:57 PM.

Now that Duke has McCallie, they have to land Dehaan or Ta'Shia Phillips.
    Why, assuming that Krystal Thomas is still coming to Duke?

Because Chante Black sat out the whole season with an injury, and Gay and Cheek were injured as well. Krystal Thomas only averaged 2 bpg in HS and may be more of a PF, plus she's a freshman. Also, Duke is only using 11 or so of its 15 allowed scholarships, is Emily Waner graduating or staying? Womens hoops has tons of injuries, many season or career ending. Duke has multiple players that can play the other 4 positions, but like this season when Bales was the only center, Duke needs another true center to have a rock solid team with reliable depth.

Duke was recently recruiting 6'6", 220 lb, Ta'Shia Phillips, what's going on with her? And I would think 6'9" Dehaan would want to leave MSU's sinking ship and play for national titles and be premed at a top school like Duke. Aren't all Duke games either televised or broadcast over computer? Duke's women like the men have the chance to be ESPN's darlings because its a private school with the best big time athletics and academics of any school, nobody cares about Michigan State unless they live in Michigan.

Also, about Gail being more of a friend to the players and McCallie yelling at them and ignoring them off the court, don't Pat Summit and especially Geno scream and yell at their players all the time? Maybe Duke just needs to toughen up and get yelled at to go all the way. Again, whatever McCallie's been doing at MSU and Maine must have been working big time. I can't believe she had no Mcdonalds allamerican, that will change in a major way. Jasmine Thomas is amazing, Harding was overrated, and we have 2 centers to replace Bales, including Chante whom Gail called the best center at Duke ever, while Bales was already around. Duke should be at least #6 preseason and #2 in the ACC.
    Last edited by bluedevil; 04-18-2007 at 04:25 PM.

People people people...

Joanne P McCallie made every big time school opening's short list this year. THERE IS NO COMPARISION with Terri Mitchell at Marquette.

Joanne is a great hire for Duke and we all welcome her!!!!!!!!!!!!

This talk about her personality blah blah blah. Coach G's personality at times was suspect (ask former players and they shall remain nameless).

This slow offense you think she runs is also off base. The year she went to the Final Four and the national title game...she had a great back court who came from 17+ down and rally and beat Tennessee in 2005.

The recruits will still come as it is Duke...

Joanne P >Boyle>Mitchell

No question about it.

Just have Abby, Wanisha, or Jasmine launch a 3 or pass in to a superbig center to dunk it, not very complicated.

Haha "dunk it." Good one.

I don't know anything about Coach P (the P is for Palombo, her maiden name)... but she looks good on paper... and in her profile picture

http://msuspartans.cstv.com/sports/w...oannep.00.html

20. "Harding was overrated"? Ay yi yi. Talk about revisionist history.

There are many, many reasons why Mitchell was a better fit for Duke than McCallie. Most of them I can't talk about here. I will hope that JP can sustain the excellence of the Duke program, since at this point we have no other choice.

McCallie's first tasks will be calling all of the 2007 recruits. Then calling Shay Selby. Then calling Phillips, whom Duke was going after with gusto--she has yet to make a commitment.