Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 565
  1. #81

    Monroe

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    I havent heard much about his defense.
    I saw him play one full AAU game last spring and he seemed to enjoy playing aggressive defense. He started guarding Donte Greene when Greene began to go off on Monroe's team and gave him fits on the perimeter with excellent lateral movement. Given he was only 15-yrs-old at the time and Greene is an 18-yr-old Mickey D and a heck of an athlete, I was impressed.

  2. #82

    Gibbons thinks Patterson will follow Donovan

    Bob Gibbons recently indicated that Patrick Paterson will follow Billy Donovan wherever he goes.....either Kentucky or Florida.

    If Donovan goes to Kentucky then Jai Lucas would also folow.

    Either way, not looking good for us and PP.

    On a postive note it means more minutes for Zoubek and with the impact of the 7 footers in the NCAA this year (Oden, Hibbert, Gray etc...) that's a good thing.

    Zoubek should be a monster by his junior year.

    It also means Singler will play a lot of 4.

    Personally I think Singler is the perfect Duke 4 but I'll post more about that later in the offseason.

  3. #83
    what heppens if donovan goes to the nba???

  4. #84
    I happen to disagree about Singler at the 4. Singler is most compared to Dunleavy who was more of a 3.

    I have seen Singler live once, and watched him a couple of times on tv. He looks more comfortable on the wing, and shooting. He did a fine job posting up, but just looked better as a 3.

    Now if you are saying Duke will run a 3-guard Lineup(which is most likely going to happen) Paulus, Scheyer/Henderson and Nelson.. Then Singler will be a 4 mainly because of height.

    Dukes last NC came with a big lineup of Boozer, Battier and Dunleavy.. I would like to see Duke go big again. I think Singler would be a great 3.

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    I happen to disagree about Singler at the 4. Singler is most compared to Dunleavy who was more of a 3.

    I have seen Singler live once, and watched him a couple of times on tv. He looks more comfortable on the wing, and shooting. He did a fine job posting up, but just looked better as a 3.

    Now if you are saying Duke will run a 3-guard Lineup(which is most likely going to happen) Paulus, Scheyer/Henderson and Nelson.. Then Singler will be a 4 mainly because of height.

    Dukes last NC came with a big lineup of Boozer, Battier and Dunleavy.. I would like to see Duke go big again. I think Singler would be a great 3.
    The prototypical Duke "4" is an NBA "3" -- a guy who plays facing up, can shoot, handle and pass. Think Dunleavy as a junior, Battier, G. Hill, Deng, etc. I've seen Singler in person and he's PERFECT for that role. And, while he has terrific perimeter skills, he's actually got a real post-up game. He can score on the low block, which is huge. Defensively, he might leave a little something to be desired as, say, a shot-blocker. But if you look around the nation, what teams really start two legit bigs anyway?

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    The prototypical Duke "4" is an NBA "3" -- a guy who plays facing up, can shoot, handle and pass. Think Dunleavy as a junior, Battier, G. Hill, Deng, etc. I've seen Singler in person and he's PERFECT for that role. And, while he has terrific perimeter skills, he's actually got a real post-up game. He can score on the low block, which is huge. Defensively, he might leave a little something to be desired as, say, a shot-blocker. But if you look around the nation, what teams really start two legit bigs anyway?
    I know- I have seen how Deng and all have turned out. I guess its just wishful thinking that Duke may go with a big lineup, Leaving Singler at the 3. The 3/4 are almost the same (assuming its not a 3-guard lineup). All of those guys you mentioned had a little better post game(except maybe Dunleavy). I just see Singler as a better Dunleavy in his career, He seems a little more athletic.

    I have been wrong many times, and im sure i will b e wrong many more times. I just feel Singler would be a better 3 in a big lineup Either way, Singler will be a special player. Go Duke

  7. #87

    Singler is a college 4 without a doubt.

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBlood View Post
    I happen to disagree about Singler at the 4. Singler is most compared to Dunleavy who was more of a 3.

    I have seen Singler live once, and watched him a couple of times on tv. He looks more comfortable on the wing, and shooting. He did a fine job posting up, but just looked better as a 3.

    Now if you are saying Duke will run a 3-guard Lineup(which is most likely going to happen) Paulus, Scheyer/Henderson and Nelson.. Then Singler will be a 4 mainly because of height.

    Dukes last NC came with a big lineup of Boozer, Battier and Dunleavy.. I would like to see Duke go big again. I think Singler would be a great 3.
    I think Singler is way more similar to Battier than Dunleavy.

    Dunleavy came to Duke as a 6' 6" skinny SF/SG. In highschool he always played on the perimeter and was never in the post. He eventually grew into his frame and filled out but he was always way more comfortable playing/defending the 2/3 postion.

    Singler has always been 6' 8" to 6' 9" his entire highschool career and has ALWAYS defended the 4 and 5 positions on his highschool and AAU teams. That's the reason he averaged 10+ boards a game for his varsity career. Dunleavy never came close to that.

    He's also a guy that scores a ton of points around the basket from putbacks, rebounds and post moves. Singler can shoot the three very well but he rarely relies on it to put up numbers (like Dunleavy did).

    Singler relies on his mid range game and around the basket game and uses the three point shot to compliment his game (much like Battier did).

    Grant it Singler defintely needs to add weight but the guy is a great positional defender (like Battier) and at 6' 9 with long arms he can more than hold his own against most ACC 4's.

    He won't block a lot of shots but he won't give up many easy baskets.
    Last edited by dukelion; 04-03-2007 at 03:39 PM.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Singler may well play lots of 3 for Duke down the road.

    But next year? Let's assume for the sake of argument that PP goes elsewhere.

    Let's assume that Singler plays mostly the 3.

    In that scenario, Zoubek, Thomas, and McClure split 80 mpg at the 4/5

    And Singler, Paulus, Nelson, Scheyer, Henderson, Smith, Pocius, and King split 120 mpg at the 1/2/3. Does anybody think this is even remotely possible? Or desirable? Or that King or Henderson plays the 4, with Singler at the 3?

    If Duke gets Monroe and Gordon, then I can see Singler playing lots of small forward in 2009/10/11 but in a Patterson-not-at-Duke-universe next season, Singler is a 4.

    Keep in mind that being a 4 at Duke doesn't mean being shackled to the blocks. There will be some mismatches with KS trying to guard a 240-pounder inside but that 240-pounder is going to have to guard Singler all over the floor, also, so I think it's going to be a net gain for Duke.

  9. #89

    King at the 4

    I don't see a reason why (if he is able to contribute) Taylor King couldn't do so at the four. He's is listed at 6'8 and appears to have some girth. One of the criticisms against him is the oh so trendy "lateral quickness," so letting him guard a bigger guy would solve some of those problems. He also had some gaudy rebounding numbers in high school (take that for what it is worth), which shows at least a willingness to hit the boards.

    Offensively, it doesn't matter as much when running the motion. See Battier, Shane.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA

    King at the 4

    Quote Originally Posted by dcarp23 View Post
    I don't see a reason why (if he is able to contribute) Taylor King couldn't do so at the four. He's is listed at 6'8 and appears to have some girth. One of the criticisms against him is the oh so trendy "lateral quickness," so letting him guard a bigger guy would solve some of those problems. He also had some gaudy rebounding numbers in high school (take that for what it is worth), which shows at least a willingness to hit the boards.

    Offensively, it doesn't matter as much when running the motion. See Battier, Shane.
    I agree with you 100 percent and I've posted the same opinion in a couple of other threads. With Duke's approach, King can defend inside but play on the perimeter offensively. The key will be how quickly he learns the defense.

    Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    JJwemissu,

    What the hell do you have Hurley coming off the bench for?
    no kidding... you beat me to it. Gawwd knows i love wojo....but, hurley was the MAN....!

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Does anyone see King starting ahead of Singler?

    Does anyone see King and Singler both starting at forward?

    Again, in this latter scenario King would be taking minutes from Nelson and/or Henderson and/or Scheyer and/or Smith . . . well, you get the drift.

    Given

    a) K's tendency to go small
    b) Duke relative lack of quality size
    c) Duke's depth on the perimeter

    I see no reason for Singler to get major minutes next season at the 3. I suspect King will play some 4 at Duke but more likely when Singler is resting not when Singler is playing the 3.

  13. #93

    Singler is a special player

    I thought Singler looked fantastic in the Big Mac game, but for those who did not, don't worry, he is a special player.

    I have seen 2 full games of him playing (one against Nolan Smith's team) and he really stands out. Can score from anywhere at any time, is actually very quick for 6-8/9 and is quite polished. Their is a reason the recruiting sites rate him so high.

    He can definitely play the 4 - he has the size, and in Duke's system, he would just be like Shane all over again. This of course assumes we have a Boozer or Brand or Shelden Williams like presence at the 5. Unfortunately, the only one who I can see doing this next year is Patterson. Thomas is a year away, and Zoubek may never get there.

    Fortunately, as many have said, help is on the way (e.g., Monroe, etc.).

    So if we don't get Patterson, I think next year we have a very exciting team, but one that gets really hurt inside and may lose a lot of games. But the following year (2008-09), I think the team can be great and similar to the 1997-98 team that lost to Kentucky - a great core of perimeter, WF, and SF players that added the bulk inside in the form of the freshman (i.e., Brand, Burgess, Battier).

  14. #94

    Patterson List.

    I've been hearing that PP was gonna cut down to three shortly after Mc'd aa game. Haven't heard of that happening. Any one have any news on when that will happen or if it has happened who those three are..... Duke,Florida and???

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Goldsboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by kydevil View Post
    I've been hearing that PP was gonna cut down to three shortly after Mc'd aa game. Haven't heard of that happening. Any one have any news on when that will happen or if it has happened who those three are..... Duke,Florida and???
    Supposed to be right after the Mickie D's game, but I don't think he has trimmed it yet. Most people think Florida, Duke, and Kentucky will make the cut. I think that he is waiting to see what Donovan does. My instincts tell me that if it was Duke he could go ahead and announce. But he is waiting to see where Doonvan ends up. I think Patterson will play for him at Florida or Kentucky. Our only hope is that Donovan is coaching the Heat next year.


    Sure hope I'm wrong on this one.

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philly
    singler and king CAN both play the four, but both would be playing out of position. Singler is a slightly more natural fit because he played it in high school quite a bit. King (if he makes it to the pros) would really be a 2-guard, which basically makes him a SF in our system and while we might be able to sneak him in some minutes at the 4, he isn't going to be able to do much defensively and will have limited effectiveness on the boards. Also, do not underrate how slow he is. King is REALLLLLY slow. If scheyer improves his shooting a little (King has got better range than scheyer right now) then I think scheyer/demarc/greg give us enough of an outside presence that we don't need another shooter and king will get VERY limited time.

    I also believe we are way overrating PP as a 5. I have said this before, but we typically play guys that are really natural 4s at the 5 (Brand, Boozer, Sheld) and PP is way smaller (smaller = combo of height and weight) than those guys. The answer to our problems is Zoubek. He HAS to come along if we are going to make any combination of these guys work. Also, if Lance comes along, he an McClutch can hold down the 4 and let singler/king roam the wings when they are in.

  17. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

    Donovan as a recruiter

    Quote Originally Posted by CMS2478 View Post
    Supposed to be right after the Mickie D's game, but I don't think he has trimmed it yet. Most people think Florida, Duke, and Kentucky will make the cut. I think that he is waiting to see what Donovan does. My instincts tell me that if it was Duke he could go ahead and announce. But he is waiting to see where Doonvan ends up. I think Patterson will play for him at Florida or Kentucky. Our only hope is that Donovan is coaching the Heat next year.


    Sure hope I'm wrong on this one.
    I think alot of Coaches get sick of recruiting and after some success, the lure of the NBA seems attractive. Coach Donovan is a heck of a recruiter and seems to enjoy doing it. He is relentless and creative. Donovan just looks like a salesman/recruiter. Maybe he realizes how good he is at the college game and how good he has it at Florida. Then again maybe the dollars are singing to him.

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

    King as a frontcourt player

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I agree with you 100 percent and I've posted the same opinion in a couple of other threads. With Duke's approach, King can defend inside but play on the perimeter offensively. The key will be how quickly he learns the defense.

    Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Not to be harsh on a Duke player but I think he has a very steep curve ahead of him to see more than 10 MPG next year, especially in the frontcourt. I've only seen him play in the MCD All star game but his lack of foot speed and reaction times were painfully noticeable. In the Duke system that is at a premium and is a reason why Zoobs and Pocius saw such limited action. Opposing players will feast on King unless he is sitting back in the key.

  19. #99

    Would Patterson be "settling" for Duke

    I think its pretty obvious Duke is not Patterson's top choice. Had Kentucky committed to Tubby, Patterson would have signed with UK a long time ago. At Duke, he knows there's plenty of opportunity for playing time, a great coach who isn't going anywhere, talented players around him, etc.

    I understand he wants to wait until the dust settles with the coaching carousal, but I'm just saying, if Duke was truly his top choice, does it matter what happens at Kentucky and Florida? I would love for Duke to add Patterson, but do we really want a guy who would have prefered to be at a different school?

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Naptown, IN
    It really shouldn't matter if someone is a true PF, C or SF in the Duke system. The only true position player Duke needs on the floor all of the time is a Point Guard. Other than that, everyone is interchangeable.

    I remember seeing Coach K use this line up (more than a few times in 03-04):
    Chris Duhon - G
    Daniel Ewing - G
    Sean Dockery - G
    JJ Redick - G
    Shelden Williams - F/C

    Shoot, I've seen David McClure play effective minutes in the paint as a center/power forward.

    If the system works and kids know their roles, then "true position titles" means little. In the college game, position title is a little more interchangeable than in the pro game. IMO.

Similar Threads

  1. Thank goodness Patrick Patterson went to UK
    By grc5 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 07:21 PM
  2. Patrick Patterson, Huntington Win - K watches
    By watzone in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 04:41 PM
  3. Patrick Patterson.
    By lavell12 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2007, 12:45 PM
  4. Paging Patrick Patterson
    By dbowen in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2007, 11:14 PM
  5. Patrick Patterson
    By DukeBlood in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-08-2007, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •