Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best God / Best Devil

Yes friends, 'tis I again, posting another "best of" thread. Seems I still have tons of time on my hands currently so I thought what the hay!

I wont bother with a poll because simply for the God Role, I suspect there are really only two people who will stand out.

As for the Devils role, why is it playing the devil is so much more fun for actors?? lol

Agree? Or no?....

George Burns (Oh God)
    Morgan Freeman(Bruce Almighty)
    Jim Cavezel (Passion of the Christ)

Best Devil:
    Ian McKellen (Needful Things)
    Jack Nicolson (Witches of Eastwick)
    Al Pacino (Devil's Advocate)
    Tim Curry (Legend)
    Robert Deniro (Lucifer Cupher, aka Lucifer) Angelheart
    John Abruzzi (Constantine)
    Viggo Mortennsen (The Prophesy)
    Gabriel Byrnes (End of Days)
    'Liz Hurley (Bedazzled)
    George Burns (Oh God, you Devil)

Technicalities:
    Jim Carey & Steve Carrell (Had God's powers in Bruce/Evan Almighty)
    Alanis Morrisette (Dogma)
    Multiple actors (Joan of Arcadia)
    Ned Flanders (Simpsons)
    Will Farrell (SNL) (Technically he played Jesus)
    Voices of God: Multiples, including
    Graham Chapman (voice of God: Monty Python & The Holy Grail), Ed Asner, James Garner, John Gielgud, Gene Hackman, Charlton Heston, Robert Mitchum, Martin Sheen, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Cosby, and the list goes on and on and on.
    Last edited by knights68; 10-02-2008 at 02:00 PM.

Charlton Heston wasn't God, he was Moses.

Hands down, George Burns is/was the best God.

Naturally, the best Devil is the one in the picture below.

If we're including TV devils, the guy that plays satan on Reaper is AMAZING. I LOVE him as the devil. His name is Ray Wise, but he's AWESOME. Here's a photo:

CH was the voice of God, you are correct.
    As for the pic, which devil were you referring? Personally, I like the one with the dimples best!)

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    If we're including TV devils, the guy that plays satan on Reaper is AMAZING. I LOVE him as the devil. I think his name is Ray Wise, but he's AWESOME.
    Arg, THAT's the guy I was trying to think of!! Thanks for the mention and you are very right, he rocks... well, fo rbeing a devil and all. lol

6. God Pacino was great in D.A., but I have a special place in my heart for Peter Stormare in Constantine. After years of slick, suit-wearing Satans his take was just so great. The white suit with no shoes, the blunt, forced delivery, everything. So fresh and creepy in an otherwise crappy movie (except for Tilda Swinton, who was also great).

For God, why is Alanis Morissette a "technicality?" I thought she, once again, took us past the tired cliches (old dude in robes) to create something that really evoked the feelings of god (warmth, compassion, but also divine oversight) in a new way. Lots of good choices for both roles, but these two really captured my imagination.

How 'bout Ray Walston in "Damn Yankees"? An old one, Ray was "My Favorite Martian" , Judge Henry Bone in "Picket Fences", and played in many, many other tv shows and movies.

There was an episode of Drew Carey where Grant Shaud (Miles Silverburg on Murphy Brown) played a guy who claimed to be The Devil (his ID said so). It was really funny. Loved the explanation that the whole horn thing came from one bad hair day in the 14th century.

George Burns as god, Al Pacino as the devil...I loved Devil's Advocate.

Vanity...my favorite sin!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Will Farrell (SNL) (Technically he played Jesus)
    There was also a sketch in which he played Lucifer. Garth Brooks ("Milo Jenkins") says that he exchange his soul for one hit song. Lucifer gives it a few tries, including "Fred's Slacks."

It's George Burns for both.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilCastDownfromDurham View Post
    For God, why is Alanis Morissette a "technicality?"
    Thruthfully IMO because she was only in the movie the last five minutes and had one word... or rather one noise. Does this really count?

(Classic) Twilight Zone enthusiast... who was it that played the devil in the episode with Jack Klugman as a billiards player who wanted to play one last game with the great one?
    Was it Jonathan Winters? Think he is worthy of a mention too?

My Favorite Martian

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    How 'bout Ray Walston in "Damn Yankees"? An old one, Ray was "My Favorite Martian" , Judge Henry Bone in "Picket Fences", and played in many, many other tv shows and movies.
    He was also Boothby in ST-NG, the all wise, knowing and sage grounds keeper, to both Jean Luc Picard and Wesley Crusher.

I'll go with George Burns in Oh God! for best portrayal of God in a film.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by knights68 View Post
    Thruthfully IMO because she was only in the movie the last five minutes and had one word... or rather one noise. Does this really count?
    Based upon the other candidates in your Technicality section, I'd say yes. She was the only actor who actually played God. Some people might even appreciate the minimalist approach to her portrayal. Maybe. Sorta. Perhaps?

I thought Jon Lovitz was pretty funny as the devil on SNL back in the early 90s

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

This is horrible..but too funny to resist

This is what Bjornolf's post looks like on my end.

She's a cute Devil though!

That's odd, the picture came out fine on my browser. Boy are we in trouble if the devil really looks like Katie. I'm sure millions would follow that cute face right into the underworld!

And she IS a little blue devil, after all.

I nominate for Devil: Peter Cook of the original "Bedazzled".

I also would nominate Graham Chapman as the voice of God in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," more for the movie itself and for Chapman's body of work.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I nominate for Devil: Peter Cook of the original "Bedazzled".

I also would nominate Graham Chapman as the voice of God in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," more for the movie itself and for Chapman's body of work.
    I second Peter Cook...

Best God? Ralph Richardson, the 'Supreme Being' in Time Bandits!