Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile But wait ... TV advertised product during the Duke game

As Snrubchatters have heard over the last couple of games, I have been intrigued() by a goofy TV ad commercial for a product that supposedly replaces all those paper towels that I use. AND it's made in Germany! But wait ... if I act now, I can get another four samples of the product.

And the Shipping & Handling is 35% of the advertised price.

So it looks like ILJ and I won't be getting the product. Which got me realizing that I've never bought such a TV advertised product. Anyone out there who has actually bought such a product? Have you had buyer's remorse, or was it a good product? Did it last long?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Never have, I'm not a tv shopper, but there's a few I want.
    • The instantly hot and cold soldering iron
    • The pet claw trimmer
    • Aquaglobes (blown glass plant waterer)
    • Lavabe's aforementioned ShamWow

If I ever see one of those sales tents for the Shamwow, I'm buying a few.

Billy Mays

How did the guy who yells, Billy Mays I think, make a career out of infomercials in which he yells? More power to him. According to Billy the most amazing thing he's ever seen is the Magic Puddy...it can plug a hole in the Hoover Dam, hang a mirror on the wall or tow a Semi...space age technologies!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    • The pet claw trimmer
    Regarding the pet claw trimmer...go to your local home improvement store and buy a Dremel...cordless even!! Works like a charm on all my dogs nails (haven't use nail clippers in 10 years) plus you get all the nifty other attachments that go with it. Dremel's are handy little things.
    Or, try this one, http://www.petedge.com/Master-Groomi...it-TP19130.pro

Although I have found that on my big dogs the genuine dremmel works much better than anything designed to do dog nails.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

I ended up buying a Little Giant ladder as a result of one of those goofy commercials. I was skeptical but I'll say it's been a great ladder, has held up well and is very handy to have.

By the way, you can buy chamois cloth anywhere. Lot cheaper than buying that goofy Shamwow thing from TV. I use chamois cloth instead of towels when I clean my car. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by CLT Devil View Post
    According to Billy the most amazing thing he's ever seen is the Magic Puddy...it can plug a hole in the Hoover Dam, hang a mirror on the wall or tow a Semi...space age technologies!
    I've been looking for that stuff. Places like Hamrick's (originally in Gaffney, SC, and they now have a store in Raleigh) have a "As seen on TV" section in their stores and carry most of the items you see hawked on late night or Saturday afternoon TV. BTW, most of the crap doesn't work as advertised. Surprise, surprise!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

The thought of grinding away pet nails terrifies me. The thought of clipping their nails petrifies me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    The thought of grinding away pet nails terrifies me. The thought of clipping their nails petrifies me.

Grinding is easy. 2 of my 3 have black nails, so you can't see the quick...grinding means I can't screw up and cut too far. None of the dogs seem to mind it much either. The get done every week so it takes less than 15 minutes to do all three... the sound of nails going clicky clack on my wood floors makes me crazy!!
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    Grinding is easy. 2 of my 3 have black nails, so you can't see the quick...grinding means I can't screw up and cut too far. None of the dogs seem to mind it much either. The get done every week so it takes less than 15 minutes to do all three... the sound of nails going clicky clack on my wood floors makes me crazy!!
    Do you know anyone who has tried it on cats? Is the grinder loud?

• The pet claw trimmer

We've bought aquaglobes and blendypens. Blendypens were a bit of a disappointment, but the aquaglobes are pretty cool. Plus we bought a friend one of the "bullet" blender/juicers for Christmas last year, and she loves it. Haven't bought from TV though; there is an "as seen on tv" store in the local mall.
    "There can BE only one."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Regarding the pet claw trimmer...go to your local home improvement store and buy a Dremel.
    Both my dogs love me, but they wold not hesitate in biting my nose off if I got even a foot away with dremel. You'll have to come over and handle that duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    We've bought aquaglobes and blendypens. Blendypens were a bit of a disappointment, but the aquaglobes are pretty cool. Plus we bought a friend one of the "bullet" blender/juicers for Christmas last year, and she loves it. Haven't bought from TV though; there is an "as seen on tv" store in the local mall.
    My aunt and mother love their bullet blenders!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Do you know anyone who has tried it on cats? Is the grinder loud?
    My mother does her cats...she uses one of the pet groomer models rather than a real dremel because is not as loud and doesn't vibrate as much. Cats nails are much easier than dogs because the nail is softer...it just takes quick touch.

How to for cats: (fyi tap means don't hold grinding surface to the nail...just tap it on the nail quickly and pull it away)

With the pet nail groomer / dremel tool on *High* setting, firmly grasp the paw, and push the nail out so that it’s fully extended and, holding the nail securely:
    1) Trim one side of the end of each nail on that foot (tap if it gets hot)
    2) Trim the other side the end of each nail on that foot.
    3) Trim the (now) pointed end of each nail - but not too short (tap if it gets hot)
    4) Smooth any rough areas - round them off by slightly “tapping” the grinder to the nail.
    5) Give your pal a little brushing and a treat (catnip for the cats!) – makes each session easier!

For dogs, I use the dremel at the angle below and grind straight in - a little peanut butter inside a kong toy will keep them busy if the grinder bothers them the first few times.

Windsor (aka Loni)

My mother does her cats...she uses one of the pet groomer models rather than a real dremel because is not as loud and doesn't vibrate as much. Cats nails are much easier than dogs because the nail is softer...it just takes quick touch.

How to for cats: (fyi tap means don't hold grinding surface to the nail...just tap it on the nail quickly and pull it away)

With the pet nail groomer / dremel tool on *High* setting, firmly grasp the paw, and push the nail out so that it’s fully extended and, holding the nail securely:
    3) Trim the (now) pointed end of each nail - but not too short (tap if it gets hot)
    4) Smooth any rough areas - round them off by slightly “tapping” the grinder to the nail.
    5) Give your pal a little brushing and a treat (catnip for the cats!) – makes each session easier!

For dogs, I use the dremel at the angle below and grind straight in - a little peanut butter inside a kong toy will keep them busy if the grinder bothers them the first few times.
    Windsor, thanks for the info. Do your mother's cat tolerate this method better versus clipping? I've had two of my three since they were kittens and they tolerate the clipping. My third came to me as an adult and really hates her claws being clipped. I can't remember the last time I did her back claws.

Uh, no way no how not happening. Chloe is declawed in front and I'll be a bloody mess if I ever try to clip/grind her back claws down. Even the vet says it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Windsor, thanks for the info. Do your mother's cat tolerate this method better versus clipping? I've had two of my three since they were kittens and they tolerate the clipping. My third came to me as an adult and really hates her claws being clipped. I can't remember the last time I did her back claws.
    They initially weren't wild about it but both tolerate it very well now. The trick is the first few times to make it very quick (even if you don't get all the nails or don't get them as short as you want) Once they realize it isn't any big deal cats tend to be fine with it. Dogs too.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Both my dogs love me, but they wold not hesitate in biting my nose off if I got even a foot away with dremel. You'll have to come over and handle that duty.
    hmmmm who is in charge you or the dogs ?

Two of my dogs tried to challenge me by showing teeth at me when they were 'teenagers'. Once .
    Windsor (aka Loni)

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I've been looking for that stuff. Places like Hamrick's (originally in Gaffney, SC, and they now have a store in Raleigh) have a "As seen on TV" section in their stores and carry most of the items you see hawked on late night or Saturday afternoon TV. BTW, most of the crap doesn't work as advertised. Surprise, surprise!
    Linens 'N' Things carries many "seen on TV" items. Each store has a display area usually in the middle of an aisle with such products on the shelves. This item is available on the LNT web site. http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp...hty+Putty&sr=1

Actually I think Lavabe is jealous of the guy's hair and headset in the ad.

Bed, Bath and Beyond also has a section for "as seen on tv".