Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rules for Life

Rules for Life

I have a number of personal rules I live by, not earth-shaking, but ones I try to follow no matter what. I thought it might be an interesting thread. I'll start with a few:

Fundraisers: If a kid is selling something, I buy it. This is an absolute if the kid is doing the selling. There is an important clause - I feel no obligation to buy something that a parent is selling on behalf of thier kid.

Ticket Karma: If I have tickets to an event and I can't go I give the tickets away rather than selling them. If it is for a sporting event (I almost always have extra football tickets as I have a "family plan") I will sell them to someone from the opposing team, but only if I can't find a Duke fan who needs tickets. I am convinced this is why I have been the recipient of other's ticket generosity (though I've never been given tickets by someone to whom I gave tickets).

Parking: I refuse to drive around in a parking lot looking for a close space. I always drive to the outer edge, park, and walk. Not only is it good exercise, but I'm convinced I get into the store more quickly.

Straws or coffee cups with "sippy" lids: I refuse to use them. There is something "just not right" about them. If I am in a car I either drink a third of my drink or pour some out of the cup so I can have the drink in my car without it spilling. I will die of thirst before I will use a straw in a restaurant.
    Last edited by allenmurray; 09-30-2008 at 11:54 AM.

Never keep incorrect change mistakenly given to you by a cashier. Not only is it bad karma, it really sucks for the cashier when they close out their drawer at the end of their shift. They can get marks against, lose pay or get fired. I recently drove back to a nearby take out restaurant when I counted my change at home and realized they'd given me an extra $5. That could have been bad news for the cashier.

Right on allenmurray. I'll add a few of mine:

Open the door, for everyone.

Slow down and let that a-hole in front of you merge. It's just not worth it.

Find one thing, everyday, and do it better than you did yesterday. I don't care if it's tying your shoes 0.345 seconds faster, or walking to your car two less steps, just do something better.

Laugh. Cry. Get angry. Be sad. Feel emotions, don't bury them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Never keep incorrect change mistakenly given to you by a cashier. Not only is it bad karma, it really sucks for the cashier when they close out their drawer at the end of their shift. They can get marks against, lose pay or get fired. I recently drove back to a nearby take out restaurant when I counted my change at home and realized they'd given me an extra $5. That could have been bad news for the cashier.
    I was recently at a street fair where I purchased a soap or candle or something and was given $1 too much in change. The vendor was floored when I pointed it out and gave it back to him.

It's all about karma.

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I was recently at a street fair where I purchased a soap or candle or something and was given $1 too much in change. The vendor was floored when I pointed it out and gave it back to him.

It's all about karma.
    Yeah, yeah, me too. I was over changed, the other day and the cashier was so appreciative I gave back the money. My thought was, if she didn't give enough change I'd go back, so why shouldn't I go back if she gives me too much change?

Totally agree on the fund raisers where the kids are doing the selling. I add - stop at lemonade stands if at all possible. You don't see them that often and I like to encourage the kids that are trying to make money. I know that mom/dad are usually out more than the kids earn and the product isn't usually all that great, but the smiles on their faces when a stranger stops just for them is well worth the money.

Go out of your way to open doors for people carrying packages/pushing a stroller/using a cane or walker. It makes both of you feel good.

I'm an Eagle Scout, so there's a few that I live by that are part of the Scouting tradition:

-Do a good turn daily.
    -Leave a place better than you found it

Also, I follow:

-Good, better, best, never take a rest, until your good is better than your best
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Thumbs up

Always obey the supermarket checkout lane limits.

If there's a possibility of an upcoming snowstorm, do NOT invade the supermarket and wipeout the store's supply of milk and bread.

Never refuse a freshly-baked chocolate chip cookie.

Do not top off your gas tank.

When I was a Girl Scout, I was selling cookies in front of a store. Someone paid for a box of cookies, but chose not to take the box. Every year I do the same as often as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Totally agree on the fund raisers where the kids are doing the selling.
    I have mixed feelings on the fund raisers. I don't really need any more wrapping paper, candles, candy or whatever it is they are selling. On the other hand, it is usually for the local school and I do want to help. On the other other hand the organization gets pennies on my dollar from those fundraisers.

My solution is that whenever possible I will write a check directly to the school/group. If little Suzie is selling wrapping paper for the middle school chorus I will happily write a check to the middle school chorus for an amount that approximates what I would have spend on the wrapping paper (usually it is more) . I don't buy wrapping paper I don't want, and the school ends up with more cash in the long run.

The exception is girl scout cookies. I always need more thin mints!!

(I also once got my car washed 3 times in one weekend...for the high school band, the middle school cheerleaders and my friends son's youth football team)
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Tip GOOD musicians playing in public places. When I worked in DC eons ago, there was a guy who played the sax every morning outside of Union Station. I could hear him play for about five minutes a day during my walk to my office. He was great. I paid him often.

Tip GOOD musicians playing in public places. When I worked in DC eons ago, there was a guy who played the sax every morning outside of Union Station. I could hear him play for about five minutes a day during my walk to my office. He was great. I paid him often.
    Are you talking about the late Bleeding Gums Murphy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Never refuse a freshly-baked chocolate chip cookie.
    I have been obeying this one, as many folks have reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
    I have mixed feelings on the fund raisers. I don't really need any more wrapping paper, candles, candy or whatever it is they are selling. On the other hand, it is usually for the local school and I do want to help. On the other other hand the organization gets pennies on my dollar from those fundraisers.

My solution is that whenever possible I will write a check directly to the school/group. If little Suzie is selling wrapping paper for the middle school chorus I will happily write a check to the middle school chorus for an amount that approximates what I would have spend on the wrapping paper (usually it is more) . I don't buy wrapping paper I don't want, and the school ends up with more cash in the long run.
    I have done this as well. Sometimes I just order the cheapest thing they have, other times I have given some money but not bought anything.

I also agree about the very small amount that organizations get from fundraisers - the companies rake it in. But my rule has more to do with not turnig down a kid who is willing to put him/herself out there than it does with supporting the organization.

Another Tilly ROL

I always put my shopping cart in the cart return bin in the parking lots, or I bring it back into the store.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Are you talking about the late Bleeding Gums Murphy?
    Well, it was '93. Had to look up when Bleeding Gums died ('95). So maybe it was him!

This thread got me thinking. Over the years I've developed these ideas:

Do no harm.
    Practice random acts of kindness.
    Look for ways to add some lagnaippe wherever you are.
    Look for the good in people.
    Say thank you as often as possible.
    Share often.
    The marginal candidate selected for a job will be the one hardest to get rid of later.
    Don't miss a Duke game.
    Expect good results and work to see that's what happens.
    Dress to fit your dreams, not your mistakes.
    Invest time with children and other young people.

Call your parents - while you still can.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Totally agree on the fund raisers where the kids are doing the selling. I add - stop at lemonade stands if at all possible. You don't see them that often and I like to encourage the kids that are trying to make money. I know that mom/dad are usually out more than the kids earn and the product isn't usually all that great, but the smiles on their faces when a stranger stops just for them is well worth the money.

Go out of your way to open doors for people carrying packages/pushing a stroller/using a cane or walker. It makes both of you feel good.
    My husband is an avid cyclist and has a regular route through the nearby neighborhoods. One day he saw 2 young girls (about 12 years old) with a lemonade stand and a sign that said fund raiser. So he stops to buy a cup and compliment them on their efforts. When he asked what they were raising funds for, the answer was "we want to go shopping." He laughed all the way home. Which brings me to several of my personal rules:
    Laugh often.
    Make eye contact.
    Smile at strangers.
    Say thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRose77 View Post
    Call your parents - while you still can.
    Amen to this.