Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    As for the current iteration of the Devil Walk, I think it's a good tradition. Players have the opportunity to focus their thoughts on game preparation and the fans have an opportunity to support the team in this effort. Traditions and rituals can be quite effective in reinforcing positive values and behaviors such as bonding and loyalty. The team walk prior to the game is very common in the SEC.... go to the LSU athletic web page and you'll see a serious tradition with quite a history involving the students, fans and, yes, Mike the Tiger.

Note: I've followed LSU for a long time, so please don't read anything else into that reference!

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    The walk is an innovation of Coach Cut.
    While Cutcliffe might have started this at Duke... this is by no means a new thing in college football. I'm pretty sure almost EVERY SEC team does it. So it's not surprising that Cutcliffe (from TN and Ole Miss) decided to use it at Duke too.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This is the worst thread hijack in history, grrr. I asked a queston about how the team will deal with losses, and it turned into a theology lecture, and it only took one post to do it.
    Well, getting back to things, I think they'll be fine if they play to their ability. It very well may be that in some of these games, they're going to find themselves going against players that are bigger, stronger, faster (understatement?). You can of course still win some games, but you have to compensate in other areas (such as play calling on both sides of the ball, discipline on penalties, etc).

I don't think morale will suffer if we lose 1 or more other games with below-average turnovers and penalties. Football is a physical sport and often it's the stronger, faster team that wins. Sometimes finesse will do it but not very often. Hopefully we'll be a Boise State type exception to this, but as the recruitng picks up we should be able to compete across many dimensions of the game.

The Virginia win will be fondly remembered by our seniors, no matter what happens from here on out. Hopefully it will give them confidence that not only can ACC wins be obtained, there's reason to believe in themselves that they can get many more. Even under Ted Roof, we have not been far off pace of Miami, UNC, and WFU lately. And I'm not sure they've improved more than we have. We can do it. But even if we don't, you gotta be happy with the team and its direction.

OK, here is a question for you. Obviously we are all thrilled about the football team so far. Cutcliffe and the players have done wonders, and once again, games are a lot of fun on Saturday.
    A lot of posters have now surmised however, and rightfully so, that the toughest part of the schedule is coming up. Pre-Season, several said a 3 win season would be satisfying. I don't think that's the case anymore given how we are playing, and even more said and still say 4 or 5 would be awesome.
    Wellll...what happens if we have won our limit? I'm only playing Blue Devil's advocate here, I think we have more wins in us. But what if we don't? Honestly, as long as all the games are hard fought, it's hard to complain. But given what we have seen, I worry about how our guys will do faced with going under .500 again. Just curious for some input here, are we hyping to much, or are we now looking at a team that has overperformed, OR are we looking at a team that is playing exactly to the caliber that they are capable of and everyone better watch the hell out? How will they handle a few losses?
    To answer your questions:
    Yes I think Duke football is being hyped a little too much. But hey, the Duke staff and players deserve to feel good about themselves. Do I think we have overachieved or overperformed? No. I think most of us expected us to be 3-1 or 4-0 at this point. Now if Duke is able to win 2-3 more games... then yes I think we have gone beyond what most reasonable have expected.

You raise an interesting question about what would happen to morale if Duke ends up losing the bulk of the remaining games (which I believe will happen). Will the team keep working hard each game or will the give up? I can't answer that and we'll just have to wait and see. However, I think Cutcliffe will keep them motivated and improving even when losing games. I think we as fans really only get to see the team once a week... so all we can really judge is by wins or losses. However, if you're a member of the team you deal with it on a daily basis you're able to grasp the finer aspects of team improvement, chemistry, coaching, etc.

In the end, this team should be judged on how well they have improved (not just wins or losses) compared to the prior season, how well they competed on the field, and the recruiting class Cutcliffe brings in in February 2009.

This is the worst thread hijack in history, grrr. I asked a queston about how the team will deal with losses, and it turned into a theology lecture, and it only took one post to do it.
    Well, you see, religion often helps those in need to deal with loss. Thusly, the religious implications of the starting location of the Blue Devil Walk are relevant to the discussion of morale and dealing with loss. Despite this, even though the sky is Carolina Blue, and, thereby, God is a Tarheel (though the Carolina faithful do not clarify whether this is specifically a Judeo-Christian concept of divinity, a divine being of another specific religion, or a more non-specific divine/creator being), the Tar Heel nation doesn't deal with loss particularly well. So perhaps there isn't a good connection between starting the Walk at the Chapel and the team's ability to deal with losing games. Yeah, it was just a brutal thread hijack.

To the point - I have no doubt that this coaching staff will handle dealing with losses as well as they've dealt with everything else since coming to Durham. This Duke team is going to compete hard all game, every game, regardless of the score, or the results of the game the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by footballfan2 View Post
    To answer your questions:
    Yes I think Duke football is being hyped a little too much. But hey, the Duke staff and players deserve to feel good about themselves. Do I think we have overachieved or overperformed? No. I think most of us expected us to be 3-1 or 4-0 at this point.
    Really? We did? I didn't know we expected to beat a top 5 I-AA team (after being shut out by Richmond at home not too long ago), a middle-of-the-pack (or better) big 10 team, a Navy team that went to a bowl game last year, AND break our 25 game ACC losing streak. Where was I when we were all talking about how we expected to start the year 3-1 or 4-0 after losing 10 or more games each of the last few years?

We're #1. In stlye and dress during the walk. I wonder what the BCS top ten walk ranking is this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    We're #1. In stlye and dress during the walk. I wonder what the BCS top ten walk ranking is this week.
    Actually the guys look better each week. While some players began the season not wearing dress shoes with their coats and ties or perhaps wearing ill fitted sports jackets, that's been changing to a more together, finished look for each one. And they look more comfortable in their suits. For the first Devil Walk a few seemed almost shy about being greeted by fans showing lots of enthusiasm. Now they seem more at home with such an outpouring of positive attention toward them.

Coach Cutcliffe has counseled that winners don't pull down the goal posts routinely. He's talked many times about how winners act and that the team and fans need to learn new behaviors.

If you haven't voted for Coach Cutcliffe for Coach of the Year, please take the time to do that as many times a day as you can to thank him for being at Duke. We need to make sure he feels that Duke is the only place he wants to be.

No No No No No

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    But how can you say that?! Every Carolina fan I know reminds me that God must be a Tarheel, because the sky is Carolina blue.
    NO. The sky is carolina blue so the rest of us don't have to step in it!

And on a religious note, Happy New Year to all! L'shana Tova!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

There is really no telling how morale will be affected with some losses. I think the attitude of the fans will be important. I have been going to games for years. I have forever been an optimist; however, this team appears to be able to win. The fans have to keep showing up and cheering. It makes a difference.

Second, I think these guys believe in themselves. They can compete for sixty minutes. That certainly wasn't true under Roof, probably not under Franks, and maybe not even under Goldsmith. They have demonstrated they can come from behind, and they certainly have dominated the second half. That is important for confidence.

Third, I think for the first time in a long time they have a truly professional coaching staff that knows how to both motivate and teach. These coaches expect to win. At the signing lunch, Coach Cut said that all 7 home games were winnable. I think he meant it. And so far he has been correct (even though Northwestern didn't quite work out).

Fourth, we have to lose some games before we worry about morale. Six wins makes us bowl eligible. As long as six remains doable, I think morale will be fine. And even if not, Coach promised we can tear down the goalposts when (not if) we beat Carolina. That's some motivation. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    There is really no telling how morale will be affected with some losses. I think the attitude of the fans will be important. I have been going to games for years. I have forever been an optimist; however, this team appears to be able to win. The fans have to keep showing up and cheering. It makes a difference.

Second, I think these guys believe in themselves. They can compete for sixty minutes. That certainly wasn't true under Roof, probably not under Franks, and maybe not even under Goldsmith. They have demonstrated they can come from behind, and they certainly have dominated the second half. That is important for confidence.

Third, I think for the first time in a long time they have a truly professional coaching staff that knows how to both motivate and teach. These coaches expect to win. At the signing lunch, Coach Cut said that all 7 home games were winnable. I think he meant it. And so far he has been correct (even though Northwestern didn't quite work out).

Fourth, we have to lose some games before we worry about morale. Six wins makes us bowl eligible. As long as six remains doable, I think morale will be fine. And even if not, Coach promised we can tear down the goalposts when (not if) we beat Carolina. That's some motivation. GTHC.

The Victory Bell belongs in Durham.

Really? We did? I didn't know we expected to beat a top 5 I-AA team (after being shut out by Richmond at home not too long ago), a middle-of-the-pack (or better) big 10 team, a Navy team that went to a bowl game last year, AND break our 25 game ACC losing streak. Where was I when we were all talking about how we expected to start the year 3-1 or 4-0 after losing 10 or more games each of the last few years?
    you need to pay more attention then. Even several trade magazine predicted Duke to win these games. Duke is a senior laden team with 18 returning starters. The average college fan probably didn't give Duke 2 seconds worth of thought, but I think it was clearly documented here and other places that Duke could start 4-0.

I wrote this in early August:

"Several comments:

1) Florida. I'm thinking they're a bit overrated here. People love Tebow, but until he shows me he can actually read a defense... I'm going to be skeptical. Teams are going to be focusing on stopping Tebow from running, which will require him to actually make decisions.

2) Duke. If things click this team could start out the season 4-0. That would be great and a huge morale booster. Plus will help in recruiting... although i don't think Duke has many open spots left."

you need to pay more attention then. Even several trade magazine predicted Duke to win these games. Duke is a senior laden team with 18 returning starters. The average college fan probably didn't give Duke 2 seconds worth of thought, but I think it was clearly documented here and other places that Duke could start 4-0.

I wrote this in early August:

"Several comments:

1) Florida. I'm thinking they're a bit overrated here. People love Tebow, but until he shows me he can actually read a defense... I'm going to be skeptical. Teams are going to be focusing on stopping Tebow from running, which will require him to actually make decisions.

2) Duke. If things click this team could start out the season 4-0. That would be great and a huge morale booster. Plus will help in recruiting... although i don't think Duke has many open spots left."
    My objection is to the post that (paraphrasing here) "most of us expected Duke to go 4-0 or 3-1."

There's a big difference between thinking it was a possibility (which I'm sure many of us did) to "expecting" it. Your post above, point 2), only shows that you considered 4-0 a possibility...so your own words don't show that you "expected" the start we've had. Maybe you're the one who needs to pay more attention.

But how can you say that?! Every Carolina fan I know reminds me that God must be a Tarheel, because the sky is Carolina blue.
    Tell them that God has been a known Rhode Island booster for years.

Anyway, my wildest dreams call for a 5-6 win series with a signature win over either GT, Clemson, Miami or VT.

A four win season would be a good sign of improvement and is a fairly likely scenario. The 4th win though, would come from State or possibly UNC at the end of the year. I really want to see Duke win a game that isn't considered a rivalry. Call it blasphemy but I'd take a win over Clemson, VT, WF or Miami over a win on UNC (unless the sheep are ranked). The reason is a win over one of the ACC marquee programs would do more for our national image than a win over our hated rival in a game that most people outside of NC wont care about.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post

A four win season would be a good sign of improvement and is a fairly likely scenario. The 4th win though, would come from State or possibly UNC at the end of the year. I really want to see Duke win a game that isn't considered a rivalry. Call it blasphemy but I'd take a win over Clemson, VT, WF or Miami over a win on UNC (unless the sheep are ranked). The reason is a win over one of the ACC marquee programs would do more for our national image than a win over our hated rival in a game that most people outside of NC wont care about.
    I agree a win over a ranked team (Wake, Virginia Tech, Vanderbilt) or over a marquee team (Miami, Clemson) would certainly make huge news for Duke. At this point winning over UNC would be great, but not that news worthy. HOWEVER, UNC has a very good chance of being ranked this year.

My objection is to the post that (paraphrasing here) "most of us expected Duke to go 4-0 or 3-1."

There's a big difference between thinking it was a possibility (which I'm sure many of us did) to "expecting" it. Your post above, point 2), only shows that you considered 4-0 a possibility...so your own words don't show that you "expected" the start we've had. Maybe you're the one who needs to pay more attention.
    well Duke had the possibility of 12-0, but you didn't see anyone write that. did you? Don't play word games. I believe a large amount of observers felt Duke could win somewhere between 3-5 games this year. And if you look at our schedule the four easiest opponents were our first four. Just because you weren't expected it doesn't mean the rest of us weren't. Besides Duke should always beat a Div 1AA school. We beat Northwestern last year. We should have beaten Navy last year. And everyone, and I mean everyone, knew Virginia was going to be horrible.

well Duke had the possibility of 12-0, but you didn't see anyone write that. did you? Don't play word games. I believe a large amount of observers felt Duke could win somewhere between 3-5 games this year. And if you look at our schedule the four easiest opponents were our first four. Just because you weren't expected it doesn't mean the rest of us weren't. Besides Duke should always beat a Div 1AA school. We beat Northwestern last year. We should have beaten Navy last year. And everyone, and I mean everyone, knew Virginia was going to be horrible.
    It's not word games: you wrote that most people expected Duke to be 3-1 or 4-0 at this point, and I think that's a ridiculous statement. Maybe we all should have expected it, but most people didn't. I didn't. Given what's being written and said about Duke right now, the media sure didn't. Apparently you saw what was coming better than most other people did, including me. In my book, that makes you Footballfan1, my man.

National TV

The 3-1 start has already earned us three games on ESPNU, which is certainly an improvement of nationally-televised games over past years. This is obviously a tool for recruiting, and to some extent, motivation for the players to perform at a high level. It's still exciting for the team to be on national television, even if ESPNU is not carried by a lot of networks.

On that note, if we were to split the next two games (GA Tech and Miami), which is certainly a possibility, we would be at 4-2 going into the game at Vanderbilt. What do you think the chances of this game getting put on ESPN or ESPN2 are? Vanderbilt is currently ranked, but has to play Auburn at home, at MS State, and at GA before then. It's Vanderbilt's homecoming, so it will be a big event. I'm sure it would be a thrill for our players to get to play on one of the more "mainstream" networks (plus I'm sure Larry Coker is tired of doing Duke games!).