Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scouting report on GT football?

I know they are 3-1 with a close victory over BC and a close loss to VaTech, and that Paul Johnson is now the coach, but have not seen them play.

Any Atlanta area folks, or others, with some information on this year's Tech team? I'm thinking that our experience of playing against Navy is a plus, in terms of being prepared for Johnson's option attack.

GA Tech remains something of a mystery. I believe they are actually better at this point than most predicted. I watched them play MS State on TV... they looked very good in that game, but maybe that was just because MS State is so bad.

Coach Cut said having played Navy cuts both ways. GT can see what we did to stop Navy and change things up. But, of course, we can change up a few things as well!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Coach Cut said having played Navy cuts both ways. GT can see what we did to stop Navy and change things up. But, of course, we can change up a few things as well!
    The Duke coaching staff is superb at making adjustments and making them quickly.

Go Duke! Swot those Yellowjackets!

I just graduated from Tech and still live in Atlanta. They are gonna run and then run some more. Get used to hearing the name Jonathon Dwyer. They have another WR with big play potential and they are not doing the QB carousel that they were doing last year.

Nesbit is a running QB and last year when he was in the game teams knew EXACTLY what Tech was gonna do. It smacked of irony in many ways - one QB in to pass and the other in to run. Chan Gailey was horrible and didn't trust his young QBs. Now Nesbit is running the show and passing sparingly - he's only thrown one passing TD.

So expect Duke to get the heart of the defense tested with QB runs, option plays, and plenty of balls straight up the gut with a little play action mixed in. It's Georgia Tech Football!

Coach Johnson has done something similar to Duke in that he has tightened a program up that had gotten a bit sloppy. GT has a rich football history and mediocrity and losses to Georgia aren't taken very well.

Defense has been their calling card holding opponents to an avg. of just 14ppg.

Both teams are still somewhat young but Tech has an advantage in the fact that a whooping percentage of the team is FROM Georgia.

Duke can expect a physical game and it will definitely be a test of wills on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Duke can expect a physical game and it will definitely be a test of wills on Saturday.
    Good. Who can want it more than us?!?

GO DUKE!!!!!!

Smile

I'm ready to see our defense lock horns with their defense. Also looking forward to what all the strength training and conditioning adds to our Dukies in the second half.

I know this game (and others) is a 'tough row to hoe,' but...we've got a REAL chance (despite the oddsmakers, screw them). Passion and persistance will win this game. Defense and special teams are the real key. And if our offense can grab their opportunities -- game over--with a Duke win.

Dwyer

Ga Tech is Navy with athletes. They may make a few more mental errors than their Navy counterparts (who wouldn't), but they are faster, stronger and more elusive.

I watched Dwyer in high school and can tell you that he is strong, and quick. He should be the best running back we have seen yet and the best running back on the field this Saturday.

However, I like our chances. I will be there in front of the Duke band!

Quote Originally Posted by Atldukie79 View Post
    Ga Tech is Navy with athletes.

I would ALMOST agree with you considering Johnson is the Coach BUT this team already had an identity as a running team. Ever heard of Tashard Choice?

That statement is almost like saying Michigan is West Virginia with suckier athletes. LOL!! (nope - Michigan just sucks and is building on that reputation)

Freebie ALERT!!! One of my specialties is free stuff and today I present to you... FREE TICKETS!!

The Taco Mac located in Suwanee is giving out free Duke/Tech tickets TODAY. It is located at 2607 Peachtree Parkway. It is today and today only so if you can get there - take care of your business. Just tell them you're a "Sting" Subscriber.

See? Membership has it's priviledges...

Huh?

SupaDave,

Not sure what you are trying to say.

Of course Ga Tech has had a running game, and I watched and pulled for Tech and T. Choice except for games against Duke. What does that have to do with my post?

I most definitely do not understand your prior post referencing Tech has an advantage because it has more Georgians on its roster. Huh?

Tech is NOTHING like Navy - other than the Coach I don't see how you could make that reference.

The Georgians reference is two-fold. One - most of these kids know each other and have played together and two - they are in much more of a comfort zone being that they are playing AT home where many of their friends and family can attend their games. That is something Duke definitely doesn't have and if you don't think it matters just ask Derrick Favors...

The Georgians reference is two-fold. One - most of these kids know each other and have played together and two - they are in much more of a comfort zone being that they are playing AT home where many of their friends and family can attend their games. That is something Duke definitely doesn't have and if you don't think it matters just ask Derrick Favors...
    Coach Cut must see some value in the home area concept, with 9 NC commitments (5 from the Triangle area) in the 2009 recruiting class. Yet another smart element of his approach.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Coach Cut must see some value in the home area concept, with 9 NC commitments (5 from the Triangle area) in the 2009 recruiting class. Yet another smart element of his approach.
    I REALLY like what Coach Cut is doing. As a Durham native I know that there is PLENTY of talent in the area and it has been allowed to go out of the state for a long while.

My old high school coach, Ken Browning, was picked up by UNC and they began recruiting my old high school pretty hard. Before he went to UNC though, Northern Durham gave NC State the likes of Carl Reeves, Dwayne Washington, Mick Harris, and AJ Davis (late defection from UNC b/c of Browning ironically) - all of whom went pro. Washington was a pro-bowler.

I can still remember all the Thomas boys commiting to UNC. That was like a coup for them...

Ask Derrick Favors?

I don't quite follow the logic, either. Other than the typical home field advantage, I don't see any significant additional advantage just because many players are from Georgia.

A Derrick Favors analogy at this point would only apply to recruiting.

Obviously GA Tech has a "home field" advantage, since the game is at GA Tech. GA Tech's website is advertising a "Fall Extravaganza," so it sounds like their fan base will be out in full force. It's also Duke's first road game, so it's definitely going to be a challenge.

Duke has several veteran players from Georgia (Riley, Respress, Roland), so hopefully they will be able to have friends and family attend as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pbc2 View Post
    I don't quite follow the logic, either. Other than the typical home field advantage, I don't see any significant additional advantage just because many players are from Georgia.

A Derrick Favors analogy at this point would only apply to recruiting.

Obviously GA Tech has a "home field" advantage, since the game is at GA Tech. GA Tech's website is advertising a "Fall Extravaganza," so it sounds like their fan base will be out in full force. It's also Duke's first road game, so it's definitely going to be a challenge.

Duke has several veteran players from Georgia (Riley, Respress, Roland), so hopefully they will be able to have friends and family attend as well.
    It's called COMFORT. Not saying that it will determine the outcome of an event but there's a reason why home teams do generally better than the visiting team. The higher the comfort level the more the player can focus on other aspects of his improvement.

You cant discount the advantage of a college student being able to go home, get money and food, wash clothes, get advice from the family, and return to school that same night.

(this also applies to Favors beyond recruiting - he doesn't want to PLAY far from home)

GA's roster
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/roster?teamId=59

vs. Duke's
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/roster?teamId=150

HUGE difference in recruiting philosophies (right now)... Duke has a few more admission hurdles than Tech but I feel like Cut can pull it off. The Triangle is FULL of smart kids.

Freshman backup QB Jaybo Shaw may get the starting assignment against Duke. Starter Nesbitt has a hamstring injury:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3618936
    Bob Green

Mississippi State lost to perennial SEC powers Auburn by 1 and LSU by 10 at LSU. They got blasted by GT by 31. Do you think Duke can stay with Auburn or LSU this year? I know this season more than any has shown that you can't judge any upcoming game by what has happened previously (otherwise Duke is better in Football than Florida this year) but I think the GT game could be a rude awaking for us. I'm not expecting us to win because I don't think we have the athletes to match them yet, but I think we can learn a lot if we can be competitive. GT and Clemson are the only games I've considered to be definite loses (and if I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat crow with a huge smile) Everyone else we have a much better chance against.

Quote Originally Posted by RelativeWays View Post
    Mississippi State lost to perennial SEC powers Auburn by 1 and LSU by 10 at LSU. They got blasted by GT by 31. Do you think Duke can stay with Auburn or LSU this year? I know this season more than any has shown that you can't judge any upcoming game by what has happened previously (otherwise Duke is better in Football than Florida this year) but I think the GT game could be a rude awaking for us. I'm not expecting us to win because I don't think we have the athletes to match them yet, but I think we can learn a lot if we can be competitive. GT and Clemson are the only games I've considered to be definite loses (and if I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat crow with a huge smile) Everyone else we have a much better chance against.
    From what I've seen so far, I'm actually more concerned about Ga Tech than Clemson. Clemson probably has the best talent in the ACC, but they seem to be confirming the perception that they underachieve. Ga Tech, on the other hand, seems to be bringing it every weekend (much like Duke). Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to the game - win or lose, I'm sure we're going to compete all 60 minutes.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Freshman backup QB Jaybo Shaw may get the starting assignment against Duke. Starter Nesbitt has a hamstring injury:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3618936
    Well, even if Nesbitt does play, it's good to know he might be a step slow.

Georgia Tech

Tech is NOTHING like Navy - other than the Coach I don't see how you could make that reference.
    He can make the reference because Georgia Tech is -- thanks to the coach-- running the Navy offense -- the one we've seen for the last four years. After the Virginia game, somebody asked Vinnie Rey about Georgia Tech and he said, "Navy with ACC athletes."

Yes, Tech was a successful running team in recent years, but that was out of the power I. Now they are running the triple option. If Nesbit plays, he's bigger, stronger, faster and quicker than any Navy QB we've seen in recent years, although he's not quite as precise as those guys -- in early games, he's been prone to turnovers.

He got hurt early in the Miss State game, but his replacement, Jaybow Shaw was superb -- he is not quite the athlete Nesbit is, but he's as fast and as strong as any of the Navy QBs. And in that one game, he didn't make the mistakes Nesbit has been making. He put 38 points up on an Ole Miss team that had just held Auburn to a field goal.

One thing nobody has mentioned is Georgia Tech's defense -- it's better than any Navy defense we've seen and is one of the best in the ACC. Anchored by DE Michael Johnson, who is probably going to be a first-team All-American, they are allowing just 14 points a game.

The narrow BC win and the narrow loss at Virginia Tech are okay, but the 38-7 victory over an Ole Miss team that took Auburn and LSU to the wire is downright scary.

I agree that this will be one of Duke's toughest games ... maybe only at Virginia Tech will be tougher.