View Poll Results: ... and how would you like your steak? (PUBLIC)

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue

1 1.75%
  • Rare

7 12.28%
  • Medium-rare

35 61.40%
  • Medium

7 12.28%
  • Medium-well

6 10.53%
  • Well-done

1 1.75%
  • I'm a communist/terrorist who doesn't eat meat!

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    At home, I like my steaks cooked medium rare to medium. At a restaurant (and Outback is my favorite steak restaurant--good choice, hc5duke!), I don't know who has handled the steak, so I request medium well.

Just trying to kill the germs on the outside. . .

Voted for medium rare - but want them closer to rare than medium.

I used to work with a guy who would order this way... "Bring it to me as soon as the outside gets brown."

Not sure why he bothered. Should have just had them grind it up and call it steak tartar.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I eat my beef medium-well to well-done, so Sue71, I'm part of the club. Anything less cooked than medium and I just feel ill afterwards.
    Afterwards? I can barely stomach 1 bite medium or below. Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    At home, I like my steaks cooked medium rare to medium. At a restaurant (and Outback is my favorite steak restaurant--good choice, hc5duke!), I don't know who has handled the steak, so I request medium well.

Just trying to kill the germs on the outside. . .
    Medium rare is absolutely going to kill the germs on the outside. I think even rare would do that. Sticking it on a super hot grill (or in a super hot oven) for even a minute ought to do the trick. Unless you're worried about the handler sticking his/her hands all the way into the middle of the steak (which seems highly unlikely), any degree of cooked will take care of external germs.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I find it mildly ironic that you post that with an avatar of two lions' mouths. Those lions would be all over some nice rare meat...
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

My mother wants her steaks cooked so as to be indistinguishable from shoe leather (aka 'well done') if she is with me and I order steak the restaurant either has to be very dark or we have to put something on the table so she can't see my plate...the very sight of rare beef makes the poor woman green.
    Windsor (aka Loni)

a wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age

Placebo. effect.

- at 2 in the afternoon, this poll has caused me to drop doing my finance homework, go to the teeter, buy a fresh cut of filet, grill it up with just a plain bit of kosher salt and freshley ground pepper, add a dash of worstershiere (or however you spell it), and cook a thick, fresh cut of med-rare beef.

The warm blood gives it all the flavor. I take pride in being an animal - you should to.

I'm a meatatarian. It's my choice. It's not always easy, but it's just the way I was made.

I find rare to be a TAD underdone, but medium rare to be overdone at most places. I guess I like it closer to rare, but I usually order medium rare to be safe at a restaurant, unless it's a place like Ruth's Chris or the Original Steakhouse.

I can't stand Outback anymore. I've been one too many times recently where they didn't season it and the steak was more fat and gristle than meat. I used to like Lonestar, but our local one closed, and the meat there wasn't as good the last few times anyway. There was also a local place called Sully's that I liked, but it closed too. I love the filet mignon and shrimp with fried rice at our Sakura's, the Japanese style steakhouse where they cook it in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Well-done? Why even order a steak or burger. Rare, rare, rare. (And even slices uncooked (either steak or a handful of ground beef) is also great.

Here in CA, I won't frequent restaurants who refuse to cook a rare burger --
    Eating raw or rare hamburger is not a very good idea. A steak can be eaten safely because the bacteria are on the outside, and they get killed by the initial browning.

The problem with hamburger is that it is essentially steak that has been ground up; therefore, the "outside" of the steak is all over the "inside" of the burger. To kill the worst offenders, you really have to get it to 160 degrees F, which is probably pretty close to medium well. So you can still have some pink in it, but rare or raw hamburger is Russian roulette.

It might taste good, and you can probably get away with it many, many times; but I have taken care of one too many patients with hemolytic uremic syndrome (some of whom have died) to ever eat raw or rare hamburger again.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I'm a meatatarian. It's my choice. It's not always easy, but it's just the way I was made.

I find rare to be a TAD underdone, but medium rare to be overdone at most places. I guess I like it closer to rare, but I usually order medium rare to be safe at a restaurant, unless it's a place like Ruth's Chris or the Original Steakhouse.

I can't stand Outback anymore. I've been one too many times recently where they didn't season it and the steak was more fat and gristle than meat. I used to like Lonestar, but our local one closed, and the meat there wasn't as good the last few times anyway. There was also a local place called Sully's that I liked, but it closed too. I love the filet mignon and shrimp with fried rice at our Sakura's, the Japanese style steakhouse where they cook it in front of you.
    How about Rare Plus?

That sounds about right to me.

There's a GREAT restaurant in Centreville, VA, called Sweetwater Tavern, that I love. It's part of the Coastal Flatts, Mike's American, Carlyle Grand, Silverado family. My favorite thing on their menu is the ribs, but their steaks are good too, and their menu has a section on how the steaks are cooked that says "Well Done - Order Chicken".

Sweetwater also has a fried chicken salad that's REALLY good. Their cole slaw is different than any I've ever had, but I LOVE it. The Southwest Egg rolls and eight layer dip appetizers are excellent. They aren't a barbeque joint, but even their pulled pork sandwich is excellent. My wife LOVES their crabcakes. They also brew their own beer, and it's REALLY good. They serve awesome bread baked at the bakery in their sister restaurant, the Carlyle Grand, that is delivered every morning fresh. The "ozzy rolls" are amazing, and are served hot with honey butter that is AMAZING. Of course, all the restaurants in the family have those. The garlic mashed potatoes are excellent, as are their seasoned fries. I pretty much like everything I've tried there. Oh, and they have a chocolate flourless waffle served with ice cream that is UNBELIEVABLE. Even their key lime pie is really good. The restaurant has a fun atmosphere. It's a good hour drive each way from our house, but we make the trip when we can. Even our kids love it. Anyway, if you're in the Northern VA area, you should really try it.

All the restaurants in the family are VERY good, whether Mike's in Springfield, Carlyle in Shirlington, Silverado's in (I think) the Merrifield area, or any of the several Coastal Flatts locations. Each restaurant has a very different atmosphere and a slightly different take on the food and the menu. For the atmosphere, and the beer, and the ribs, my vote goes to Sweetwater.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post

I'm not a huge fan of the middle-of-the-road chain restaurants, and pretty much refuse to order a steak from one of these places: Chilis, Outback, Lonestar, etc. Call me a snob if you must but if I'm going to spend my hard earned money on a steak I'll take it to fancy pants restaurant or just do it myself.

Pull its horns, wipe its aas$ and put it on the plate!

I went to Outback tonight and had their 6 oz. sirloin special (medium rare, of course) for $9.99, including salad and baked potato (or any other sides you want). For the money, I was very pleased. I usually get their 14 oz. ribeye, but this was excellent and I recommend it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

steak

I like mine still moo-ing (jk). Seriously, medium-rare to medium with a BP (or twice baked), salad (Caesar, tossed, field greens or iceberg wedge with bleu cheese and diced beefsteak tomato) with a chocolate chip or Oreo cheese cake slice (shared) for dessert. This meal is a rarity in the devildeac family but enjoyed immensely when consumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Sounds like you like your steak "Pittsburg" or black and blue.

I prefer medium rare.
    Pittsburgh rare is what I ask for at a restaurant. At home, my weber won't get hot enough to do it (I can get up to about 550) this way so I settle medium-rare/rare.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I like mine still moo-ing (jk). Seriously, medium-rare to medium with a BP (or twice baked), salad (Caesar, tossed, field greens or iceberg wedge with bleu cheese and diced beefsteak tomato) with a chocolate chip or Oreo cheese cake slice (shared) for dessert. This meal is a rarity in the devildeac family but enjoyed immensely when consumed.
    devildeac, devildeac, devildeac, I am so disappointed. You named everything you preferred to eat with your steak, but you didn't list a beverage.

steak

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    devildeac, devildeac, devildeac, I am so disappointed. You named everything you preferred to eat with your steak, but you didn't list a beverage.
    A California Cab.

If pressed for a beer, I'd choose a brown ale.