Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think all us Duke fans need to be cautious here. We're hearing a lot of hype with Duke and Cutcliffe from the media and such... but honestly we just finished by far the easiest section of our schedule and I doubt we will be favored to win any of the remaining games. It's quite possible that we don't even win another game. Then what? Will Cutcliffe be considered a bad coach? If I recall Fred Goldsmith had a great 1st season... a team that was senior laden. They won eight games that year with great running (Baldwin) and a pretty decent QB (Spence Fischer). Well Duke did return 18 starters this year. My only advice is to remain cautious.

With that said, I think Duke could pull out 2 more wins. Maybe even more... sometimes when a team gets on a roll they keep winning games. I think Duke's likely wins come from NC State and Clemson. Yes Clemson. For some reason they always play down to their opponent and lose. Right now they have lost two games. I'm sure Bowden will get axed after this season. Overall morale will be low. Good time to strike. NC State beat ECU, but as we're finding out ECU just ran out of gas (lost again this weekend).

Wins against Miami, UNC, Wake, and Georgia Tech are possible, but I just don't see it. I watched the Miami/UNC game (don't get ESPNU to watch Duke), I was really impressed with UNC"s overall talent, speed, and defense. HOWEVER, Miami should have won that game, and was winning the entire game until there was only 40 odd seconds left. As a side note, I think both teams will be scary good in 1-2 years. So my point is expecting wins against both Miami and UNC will be tough. Now Wake just lost to Navy. Wake-up call? Did Wake get caught napping? Georgia Tech's triple option and it being in ATL (Duke's first road game) will be tough on Duke. I recall Duke having a lot of problems with Navy's option during the 1st half.

I just think we fans need proceed with cautious optimism. We can't get down on Cutcliffe even if he doesn't win another game this year (which is a real possibility). We need to give him and his staff at least 2-3 more years.

Remember this. It only takes six wins to be Bowl eligible. We already have three.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Remember this. It only takes six wins to be Bowl eligible. We already have three.
    Ever hear about the "Blue Devil Special"? I used to hear stories about the trains which carried the Duke entourage to bowl games about the time I was born. That could be the Carolinian in December....

Carolina had more talent last year and needed a late TD and a missed FG just to go to OT. We have virtually the same teams back from last year, and Carolina has the same problem that we have---they can't run the ball. True, they have all those frisbee catching dogs at wideout, but they have that advantage over Duke for more than a few years now. We're familiar with Brandon Tate, Hakeem Nicks, and Brooks Foster.

I certainly agree that the schedule gets a bit tougher. The one advantage going into next week may be the lack of time off. We were definitely rusty yesterday on offense, but it was quite pleasing that Duke won in Beamer Ball fashion--not to mention the adjustments. Johnson came in with a Navy team two years ago and beat Duke by a TD, but he said that his team looked sluggish coming off a bye week.

I think Tech may be the toughest game that we have the rest of the year. Take them one at a time.

With Cut's recruiting prowess and development, I feel pretty certain that Duke would be more than happy to give him an additional 2-3 years. You mentioned Goldsmith. Fred either didn't like to recruit or wasn't that proficient at it. Good tactician for sure. However, when Heimerdinger and Bohl left, it was OVER for Fred. Bob Trott and Les Koenning, Jr weren't suitable replacements, and additionally the university wasn't willing to invest in the program.

Quote Originally Posted by footballfan2 View Post
    I just think we fans need proceed with cautious optimism. We can't get down on Cutcliffe even if he doesn't win another game this year (which is a real possibility). We need to give him and his staff at least 2-3 more years.
    I like your message of cautious optimism overall, but I think that not winning another game this year is not a realistic possibility at this point. I'd say a record of 4-8 is the realistic worst case scenario.

I don't know which is better: your choice of picture or the caption!