Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Best PG in Duke history

I don't know of this has been submitted already, but check out this highlight video of the best PG in Duke history.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5y...y-hurley_sport

Quote Originally Posted by em0526 View Post
    I don't know of this has been submitted already, but check out this highlight video of the best PG in Duke history.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5y...y-hurley_sport
    This brings a question to mind - Duke has had many excellent point guards, but is Hurley unquestionably the best, or can arguments be made for others who have run the rock? Jay Will (though more often a SG once Duhon arrived)? Tommy Amaker? Will Avery (alas, we hardly knew ye)?

Before I get slaughtered, I want to clarify that IMHO Hurley is the best to run the point for the Best Blue, and one of the all time great college PGs nationwide.

Of all the point guards Duke has had only one has led the team to back-to-back national championships.

I will accept arguments in favor of Dick Groat... that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    This brings a question to mind - Duke has had many excellent point guards, but is Hurley unquestionably the best, or can arguments be made for others who have run the rock? Jay Will (though more often a SG once Duhon arrived)? Tommy Amaker? Will Avery (alas, we hardly knew ye)?
    I've never seen Groat play, and Amaker only in highlights. But I don't see how anyone who's seen Hurley in his prime can argue that there is better point guard.

Hurley #1

Bobby Hurley was not only the best PG at Duke. He may have been the best in college basketball. True point guard skills, shooting, passing and playing great defense. He's # 1 and Tommy Amaker probably a distant # 2. I thought that Dick Groat played shooting guard. Before my time. I bet Jim knows. He knows everything about Duke University.

greatest college PG of all time?

I'm as a big a Hurley fan as any (I remeber being in 7th grade and buying my "Hurley...thanks for the memories" t-shirt while on campus as a summer program). But was he really better than say Mark Price, or Chris Corchiani? If he swapped roles with either of those two, would they then be possibly the greatest college PG of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Mambo View Post
    I'm as a big a Hurley fan as any (I remeber being in 7th grade and buying my "Hurley...thanks for the memories" t-shirt while on campus as a summer program). But was he really better than say Mark Price, or Chris Corchiani? If he swapped roles with either of those two, would they then be possibly the greatest college PG of all time?
    Better than Corch and about as good as Price. Price was a better shooter: Hurley largely hit shots because he was left open. I would put Hurley below one of his contemporaries: Kenny Anderson. Anderson would probably have the assist record (playing at Tech) had he stayed four years. But I think he is the only point guard about whom you can say this!

Hurley wasn't by any means perfect. But to buy into Hurley is to love him for his imperfections.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I would put Hurley below one of his contemporaries: Kenny Anderson. Anderson would probably have the assist record (playing at Tech) had he stayed four years.
    Sure, if Brian Oliver and Dennis Scott had enough eligibility to stay with him those 4 years. Otherwise, no. Amazing numbers overall, but not the assist record.

I came of age as a Duke fan with Hurley at the point, no question who my pick is.

Much as I liked Duhon, Williams, and Amaker (who I only got to see some of), Bobby was the best at Duke I've ever seen and I still say the best PURE point guard ever. People I know bring up Anderson, Price, Corchiani, and...ugh Ford just in ACC talk though all made names nationally. All were extremely good but in terms of running the offense, distributing the ball, creating the fast break, playing defense, and hitting the shots when called upon (not shooting first like you could say for Anderson and Price instead of passing second) who can you say is better based upon that criteria?

Hurley, Hurley, Hurley. No question. I LOVE most of the other guys, but Bobby Hurley as a TRUE POINT GUARD matches up with most PGs of any era and of any conference.

If I made a list of the top 20 college point guards of all time, Hurley would be on that list.

Yeah, didn't take me anytime at all to come to the conclusion that it was Hurley. Oh the memories of watching him play!

Jason Williams is the best "pg" I've seen at Duke. Perfect pick n roll execution. The only down side was his FT's...he could have easily been a back-to-back-to-back champion. Remember he left his junior year and if it wasn't for bad ft's against Indiana we might have won that year.

It depends on what "best" means. If best means most talented, I will argue until the day I die that Jason Williams is the most talented player Duke has ever had. BUT, if "best" is a broader concept that incorporates fire, heart, leadership, a knack for winning etc... then Hurley is your man.

Watching hurley makes me wonder, Who was the first Duke player to slap the floor (or Duke team)? Does anyone know?

FUN FACT: That video was created by Mickie Krzyzewski for Hurley's Senior Dinner after his last season.

I felt totally comfortable with Hurley at the PG spot; it's just one of those things you kind of 'feel' when it comes to watching the team. His game relaxed everyone except his opponent. He made the team play with swagger and confidence.

I can't imagine having to dribble the ball against him.

And this is a great time to give a SHOUT OUT to the best Duke player NOLAN SMITH!

dth.

Is there a place to view all of the senior videos that Mrs. K has put together for the Senior Dinners?

Smile

I agree, GO NOLAN SMITH. And on another note, wasn't Wojo the slap - the - floor champ of all time? Ah...not too much longer 'til BB season, but...isn't it grand to have a football team of which to be proud? Cool.

BETTER QUESTION: who is the best pg of all time in ncaa basketball? who are the contenders?

"Of all the point guards Duke has had only one has led the team to back-to-back national championships."

So, Thomas Hill is the best shooting guard in Duke history?

Comparing Hurley and Williams is apples and oranges. Hurley is the best "pure" PG in Duke history, IMO, but you can make a case for the more hybrid skills of JWill.

Comparing Hurley to Groat is comparing apples and pomegrantes. Groat averaged 25/26 ppg his last two years but he had beaucoups of assists, also. I'm not sure the concept of point guard and wing guard really existed in the early 1950s. Even Cousy shot a lot and he may be the best playmaker who ever lived.

If forced to choose the best ACC PG, I would probably opt for Phil Ford. If you're old enough to remember him, you know what I'm talking about. If you're not, then hold those cards and letters.