Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duke's pluses

Duke's pluses

I want to start a real positive thread.

What does Duke have to offer a recruit?

Coach K - 3 national titles, no active coach has as many. There are a few who might be close behind but no active coach with as many or more.

Coach K - restored pride in USA basketball by winning the Olympics this past year by taking guys who are stars in their own right and getting them to put the team first.

Players who have played for Duke and are widely known today - Johny D, Wojo, Chris Collins, Nate James. I'm going to stop here and let you guys finish the list.

Add some more Duke pluses to this list.

Duke is a football school.

Nolan Smith's video says it all. It's all on the wall baby! Oh yeah - the Crazies! Young and old.

1) One of the best on-campus basketball atmospheres in the country - by that I'm referring to the incredible environment and history of Cameron Indoor Stadium combined with a wildly enthusiastic and supportive student body and fan base.

2) Great education, for the kids who are talented basketball players but realistic enough to know that the NBA is not a sure thing - which is the usually the case for even highly ranked high school kids.

Better weather than anywhere in the Big East (South Flawda aside) or Big Televen.

Ever heard the expression "preaching to the choir?"

The most obvious answer- Coach K

What about

Best unofficial website and forum!

Abby Waner

Pluses:

1) Tradition - It might not mean much to a casual person, but for someone who plays the sport tradition means a lot. To be part of something larger than oneself.

2) Cameron - Yes it's small... but it's loud.

3) Education - A Duke degree can open a lot of doors

4) ACC - you would be joining a premiere basketball conference

5) ESPN - love then or hate then... they show a lot of Duke games

6) UNC - Yes we hate them, but they are the "yang" to our "ying". With them we have one of the storied college rivals in basketball

7) Coach K - I'm kinda on the border with this one. 20 years ago Coach K was an obvious, obvious example. But honestly, I'm not too sure anymore. Yes he did win the gold medal... but I'm not too sure how many highschool basketball players really care at their age. He's getting up there in age. many kids are able to relate to "younger" coaches. but overall Coach K is a plus for Duke. I think Coach K is a huge plus for the parents... not too sure about the actual recruit though.

Negatives:

1) NBA - Sorry, but Duke just doesn't have a good rep in producing NBA players. That might not be true anymore (Brand, maggette, Battier, deng, etc), but Duke has the rep.

2) Duke University - great education but a reputation of rich New Jersey kids. I'm not too sure Duke is considered a "cool" school to goto.

"NBA - Sorry, but Duke just doesn't have a good rep in producing NBA players. That might not be true anymore (Brand, maggette, Battier, deng, etc), but Duke has the rep."

May not be true anymore? Ya think? Grant Hill, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy, Luol Deng, Chris Duhon, exactly how many top-level NBA players does Duke have to produce? What other school is turning out more NBA players?

And yes, I'm pretty sure Mike Krzyzewski is still an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by footballfan2 View Post
    Pluses:

Coach K - I'm kinda on the border with this one. 20 years ago Coach K was an obvious, obvious example. But honestly, I'm not too sure anymore. Yes he did win the gold medal... but I'm not too sure how many highschool basketball players really care at their age. He's getting up there in age. many kids are able to relate to "younger" coaches. but overall Coach K is a plus for Duke. I think Coach K is a huge plus for the parents... not too sure about the actual recruit though.
    Yeah, the top players just don't want to play for Coach K anymore. He can't relate to players like Gerald Henderson, Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler, Jon Scheyer, Elliot Williams, Lance Thomas, Tyler Thornton, Andre Dawkins, Josh Hairston, Mason Plumlee, etc...High school players don't know anything about college basketball history and they certainly don't care that Coach K coached their NBA idols in some silly international competition. Face it, Coach K's done, he's taking the route of Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden. He just recruit the elite players anymore.
    Last edited by -jk; 09-26-2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: fix quote tag

Pluses please!

As a Durham native, I would take every recruit to Italian Pizzaria and they would be hooked for life!

Pluses:

1) Tradition - It might not mean much to a casual person, but for someone who plays the sport tradition means a lot. To be part of something larger than oneself.

6) UNC - Yes we hate them, but they are the "yang" to our "ying". With them we have one of the storied college rivals in basketball

7) Coach K - I'm kinda on the border with this one. 20 years ago Coach K was an obvious, obvious example. But honestly, I'm not too sure anymore. Yes he did win the gold medal... but I'm not too sure how many highschool basketball players really care at their age. He's getting up there in age. many kids are able to relate to "younger" coaches. but overall Coach K is a plus for Duke. I think Coach K is a huge plus for the parents... not too sure about the actual recruit though.

Negatives:

1) NBA - Sorry, but Duke just doesn't have a good rep in producing NBA players. That might not be true anymore (Brand, maggette, Battier, deng, etc), but Duke has the rep.

2) Duke University - great education but a reputation of rich New Jersey kids. I'm not too sure Duke is considered a "cool" school to goto.
    Is that why record numbers of applications come from kids all over the country each year?

pluses

Pluses:

Negatives:

1. What state has the highest % (or #) of students at Duke on a regular basis over the last 5-10 years or so? (hint: it's not NJ)
    2. What states are in the top 10 on a fairly regular basis for # or %age of students at Duke over the last 5- 10 years?

I can answer #1 easily and I think I can name at least 5 of the top 10 states pretty readily, too.

Unclench already

The poster who listed the negatives, and those aren't the only 2, was only saying what the perception of Duke is. And he is 100 percent correct. That does not mean that those negatives are true and accurate, merely that those two items are percieved to be negatives.

I am sorry, but the reactions to that comment suggest that Duke is perfect and has no flaws. Is that true? Is Duke perfect and flawless?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    The poster who listed the negatives, and those aren't the only 2, was only saying what the perception of Duke is. And he is 100 percent correct. That does not mean that those negatives are true and accurate, merely that those two items are percieved to be negatives.

I am sorry, but the reactions to that comment suggest that Duke is perfect and has no flaws. Is that true? Is Duke perfect and flawless?
    Duke is not perfect nor is any other institution of higher learning. I think the responses to the comments were simply that. Obviously, different people have different perceptions.

"The poster who listed the negatives, and those aren't the only 2, was only saying what the perception of Duke is. And he is 100 percent correct"

And we know this how? Because the OP says so?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post

What part of "pluses" means negatives?

I want the thread to be about the good things Duke has to offer.

Or is your cup half empty?

You know, some of you may laugh at me when I say education is a real attraction. I mean hey... what do pro wanna-be's want with a real education.

Only the smart ones prepare their life after they burn out in the Pro's. Whats the remote chance of a few million for a one time deal compared to an entire life of a skilled worker. I read an article somewhere that the average skilled worker born today is worth 6-9 million in lifetime effort. Athletes can be optimistic but it would be prudent to be realistic.