New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

2 hour delay Thursday for schools

This makes no sense to me. My stepkids have a 2 hour delay tomorrow due to the weather. The weather is storm system that is off the coast that may or may not become tropical. It's drifting west and the weather around here should get worse as the day progresses.
    So my question is why a 2 hour delay, that's stupid. We had them when I was in school so the icy patches on the road would melt. They figured 2 hours would give conditions time to improve so they could safely cart us off to class. But with a storm, the conditions will not get better, they will be worse 2 hours later in the day then they would be originally. Goofy administrators.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    But with a storm, the conditions will not get better, they will be worse 2 hours later in the day then they would be originally. Goofy administrators.
    That may be the point -- have the delay, so there's time to assess whether the kids should even head in to school. It's much better to have them get a late start and the weather ends up fine, than have them all get to school, have the weather go to heck, and then have to get everyone home again when parents have left for work, conditions are dangerous, etc.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    2 hour delays are the best thing ever. Well, from a teacher's and a student's perspective anyway. If you cancel the day of school, it has to be made up later in the year. Call for a 2 hour delay, and you can sleep in, putter around for the morning... and those 2 hours never have to be made up, its a free mini holiday for the morning. Of course, parents might not be so enthusiastic about them but who cares about them

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Somebody with common sense woke up early this morning and cancelled the day. They politely let their automated phone system notify us of this at 6:15am. GRrrrrrrrrrr!

DevilAlumna's right. They do the two hour delay to give them more time to see how the storm develops. If they cancel early and then nothing happens, they look like idiots and lose a day. If they don't cancel and everyone goes in and then the weather gets bad, they have the nightmare of sending kids home to parents who may have gone to work and not be available to make arrangements. A two hour delay gives them more time, and if the storm stalls or fizzles or goes another direction, they still get credit for the day. If the storm gets worse, they can still cancel.

Plus, if they can't get half a day in before they have to send the kids home for safety reasons, then the day doesn't count. So everybody came in and they have all this hassle and inconvenience and headache for nothing.

Canceling or delaying for weather is always one of the most difficult decisions facing any school administrator, and one that they dread having to make. No matter what you do someone will be unhappy. However, since most of them know this going in they do the right thing. The act very conservatively and with the safety of students in mind. One overturned bus, one stranded child, one death . . .

For any school administrator having school on a scheduled day is far, far better than canceling. Canceling or delaying school is a nightmare for school systems. They would always rather not do it. So I'm particularly glad that school administrators make decisions with safety in mind instead of worrying about who might complain afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Canceling or delaying for weather is always one of the most difficult decisions facing any school administrator, and one that they dread having to make. No matter what you do someone will be unhappy. However, since most of them know this going in they do the right thing. The act very conservatively and with the safety of students in mind. One overturned bus, one stranded child, one death . . .

For any school administrator having school on a scheduled day is far, far better than canceling. Canceling or delaying school is a nightmare for school systems. They would always rather not do it. So I'm particularly glad that school administrators make decisions with safety in mind instead of worrying about who might complain afterward.
    You've summed up quite well what I wanted to say, allenmurray. My first career was in the public schools, most of the time as an administrator. Decisions about whether to open school while storms develop is such an inaccurate science! If the call not to have school was made around 6A, you can sure that those charged with making such a decision were up at 3A.

The other advantage to a two-hour delay is it takes some traffic off the road during morning rush hour.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    The other advantage to a two-hour delay is it takes some traffic off the road during morning rush hour.
    All good points. By the way, my stepkids are now home, playing computer games I'm sure. The weather is decent enough for them to be outside though, double grrrrrr.