Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Add an ACC Player to the Duke Roster

Here's another thought game to get us through these long months...

If you could choose 5 players from around the ACC that you think would fit in perfectly at Duke or would like to have representing Duke now that you have seen them play (intelligence, style of play, heart, whatever... pick your criteria), which players would you choose? Give your reasons if you like...

1) K.C. Rivers- Just a well spoken all around talented guy who is always a leader on the floor

2) James Dews- Versatile guard who seems to fit the mold of plenty of other Duke guards

3) Danny Green- He is a great 6th man with size who hits the three. He also plays a very unselfish brand of basketball

4) James Johnson- Kyle Singler in a Black and Gold uniform. Very talented with a skill set that fits in so well at Duke

5) Raymond Sykes- He was a great rebounder/role player down low for Clemson. Can't really explain this one except that I have seen a lot of players like Sykes come through Duke. He is a workhorse and good sport who looks genuinely happy when Clemson wins, regardless of his numbers.

You did not just say Danny Green.

3. You guys are going to kill me for saying this but -- deep breath -- my pick would be Hansbrough. Yup, Hansbrough. I know, I know, he's a Tar Heel, he travels all the time (actually I don't think he does...he does a decent job at keeping that pivot foot down), but here are my reasons:

- He plays hard every game which is a Duke trait

- He's a reliable post presence which we need; having Hansbrough in last year's team I argue would be the difference from a second round exit to a championship. Singler and Thomas would play the 4, their natural positions; Paulus' shooting would be exceptionally deadly with an inside presence; we'll rebound better; when DeMarcus and Henderson drive in they don't always have to kick out, they have the added option to dump the ball to Hansbrough knowing he'll catch it and score; etc.

- Hansbrough just seems like an all around good guy. Doesn't complain, doesn't get into trouble, performs decently well in the classroom, what's there not to like really?

- He'd give Duke 4 productive years

- Psycho T is such an awesome nickname. Imagine what the Crazies could've done with that name if he's on our side??

It's ironic, but if you think about it, Hansbrough is so much more of a "Duke guy" than McRoberts ever was. McRoberts in many respects is more the typical UNC player...freakishly athletic, moody, one eye on the NBA, while Hansbrough is more stereotypically Duke...works hard, good fundamentals, patient/grounded about the NBA, overall good guy...

Anyway, that's my pick. Please don't lynch me or tell me to play my PS2.

Quote Originally Posted by jyuwono View Post
    You guys are going to kill me for saying this but -- deep breath -- my pick would be Hansbrough. Yup, Hansbrough. I know, I know, he's a Tar Heel, he travels all the time (actually I don't think he does...he does a decent job at keeping that pivot foot down), but here are my reasons:

- He plays hard every game which is a Duke trait

- He's a reliable post presence which we need; having Hansbrough in last year's team I argue would be the difference from a second round exit to a championship. Singler and Thomas would play the 4, their natural positions; Paulus' shooting would be exceptionally deadly with an inside presence; we'll rebound better; when DeMarcus and Henderson drive in they don't always have to kick out, they have the added option to dump the ball to Hansbrough knowing he'll catch it and score; etc.

- Hansbrough just seems like an all around good guy. Doesn't complain, doesn't get into trouble, performs decently well in the classroom, what's there not to like really?

- He'd give Duke 4 productive years

- Psycho T is such an awesome nickname. Imagine what the Crazies could've done with that name if he's on our side??

It's ironic, but if you think about it, Hansbrough is so much more of a "Duke guy" than McRoberts ever was. McRoberts in many respects is more the typical UNC player...freakishly athletic, moody, one eye on the NBA, while Hansbrough is more stereotypically Duke...works hard, good fundamentals, patient/grounded about the NBA, overall good guy...

Anyway, that's my pick. Please don't lynch me or tell me to play my PS2.
    I completely agree about Hansbrough, that was my first thought.

Other guys that came to mind...

1. James Johnson - versatile on and off the court
    2. JT Thompson - athletic scorer
    3. Trevor Booker - potential to be a left handed Elton Brand

Agreed on Hansbrough and KC Rivers.

Totally disagree on Danny Green. He has the basketball skillset to fit in at Duke, but his attitude fits much better on UNC.

Definitely James Johnson, love his game.
    I always thought Hansborough should have been at Duke and McRoberts at UNC, their attitudes fit their opposite programs much better.
    Tyrese Rice?

Hansbrough is the only choice at No. 1. Pick anyone else and you have failed this simple test.

This is easy. Pick the 5 best big men in the ACC. And we all know who's #1.

Hansbrough. That's an easy pick. We all "hate" him because he plays for UNC, but we "hate" him even more because he's just that good. I've never seen a guy play harder or with more intensity.

Well it looks like you all have the guts to say it, when I made my list I just couldn't pick him for fear of chastisement... I still say Danny Green is a solid choice, although Hansbrough is clearly better. Wayne would be too actually. It just hurts so bad to say these things, but Duke DOES recruit against Carolina for seemingly every player.

sykes

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    Here's another thought game to get us through these long months...

If you could choose 5 players from around the ACC that you think would fit in perfectly at Duke or would like to have representing Duke now that you have seen them play (intelligence, style of play, heart, whatever... pick your criteria), which players would you choose? Give your reasons if you like...

1) K.C. Rivers- Just a well spoken all around talented guy who is always a leader on the floor

2) James Dews- Versatile guard who seems to fit the mold of plenty of other Duke guards

3) Danny Green- He is a great 6th man with size who hits the three. He also plays a very unselfish brand of basketball

4) James Johnson- Kyle Singler in a Black and Gold uniform. Very talented with a skill set that fits in so well at Duke

5) Raymond Sykes- He was a great rebounder/role player down low for Clemson. Can't really explain this one except that I have seen a lot of players like Sykes come through Duke. He is a workhorse and good sport who looks genuinely happy when Clemson wins, regardless of his numbers.
    I would definatly want to add Raymond Sykes to the Duke roster. Sykes is the big and physical rebounder that Duke would need this year to top the country. They would be fantastic with a Paulus, Schyer, Henderson, Singler, Sykes line-up

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    This is easy. Pick the 5 best big men in the ACC. And we all know who's #1.
    I thought the same thing - Duke's a solid center from being a favorite for the NC (and maybe that guy is on the Duke roster right now). But then I reread the OP and what BlueintheFace is asking is not for the guy who would make Duke a better team but what guys around the league are players whose style and game fit in with Duke.

Still, Hansbrough would be the guy for me even under BlueintheFace's criteria.

Here's another question for you - if you could pick a non-starter from other ACC teams to add to Duke's roster, who would it be. My top choices (oddly enough most are big men) would be:

Ed Davis - true, he's a freshman and he's a little thin, but he's tougher than his size and rebounds well. He's unlikely to bump Deon Thompson out of the starting lineup but if he does then you can just switch my pick to Thompson.

Raymond Sykes - I'll likely lose this pick since Sykes is going to start this year. But he was a reserve last year and played well in his role. Don't be surprised if he averages double figures this year for Clemson.

Tony Woods - pretty much the same situation as Davis, only a little bigger. Maybe not the rebounder that Davis is, but likely a better defender. He may end up starting at Wake which would push Chas McFarland to the bench and yes, if that happens then I'm taking McFarland.

Beyond that I would really like to add a dynamic, athletic 6-6 guy to give depth when Henderson is on the bench but frankly the only guy out there that fits that description is Danny Green and I don't want his dance fever on Duke's team.

I threw up three times reading this series of posts. Hansbrough?! Good God, people.

1) I agree without question that he's the most offensively productive big man in the ACC and that he brings the effort all game, every game. Even his defensive liabilities would be minimized by Duke's ball-pressure defense. He would make Duke a better team.

2) On the other hand, he does travel, camp the lane, flop, whine, and annoy at a very basic level, and that's not just because he's a 'hole.

The best case scenario if he was a Dukie: I'd appreciate the productivity on the court while being vaguely embarrassed that I had to claim him as one of my own. Sort of like if Rasheed Wallace, Vince Carter, or Jeff McInnis had worn the better shade of blue. Leave him to the Tar Heels - he belongs there.

As for my thoughts on the poll - I'll take the Duke team as it is, no changes - I think we've got the makings of a championship team right now.

Just think about Danny Green "dancing" in Cameron before games.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I threw up three times reading this series of posts. Hansbrough?! Good God, people.

1) I agree without question that he's the most offensively productive big man in the ACC and that he brings the effort all game, every game. Even his defensive liabilities would be minimized by Duke's ball-pressure defense. He would make Duke a better team.

2) On the other hand, he does travel, camp the lane, flop, whine, and annoy at a very basic level, and that's not just because he's a 'hole.

The best case scenario if he was a Dukie: I'd appreciate the productivity on the court while being vaguely embarrassed that I had to claim him as one of my own. Sort of like if Rasheed Wallace, Vince Carter, or Jeff McInnis had worn the better shade of blue. Leave him to the Tar Heels - he belongs there.

As for my thoughts on the poll - I'll take the Duke team as it is, no changes - I think we've got the makings of a championship team right now.
    Yeah, but it's still hard not to dream about a Hansblah, Singler front court for Duke. I completely agree that his defense is a problem. He is a very poor defender. And he definitely can be shut down by very tall, lengthy, strong, and quick defenders. Defenders who force him out of his comfort zones around the block can really frustrate him. However, Duke's offensive attack with Hansblah would be something to watch, indeed. What do opposing defenses do? Double team Hansblah and leave Scheyer or Paulus open for three? Attempt to take away the three and leave Hansblah alone in the paint? How do you find someone to guard Hansblah and Singler? Oh, and then there's Henderson doing his thing. And here comes Nolan, another possible 20 point scorer off the bench. Add Elliot Williams into the mix with all of our other guards and the ball pressure we could sustain would be ridiculous. And our front court depth would be pretty impressive, too (Singler, Hansblah, McClure, Olek, Thomas, Plumlee, Zoubek). Just . . . wow. We could shoot it from three, slash to the rim, pound it inside, drive and kick, set screens and shoot, pick and roll, back-screen and ally-oop . . . it would be a show.

Although, I agree that the team as configured can put on quite a show next year.

All I want to say is, it is good to see some BASKETBALL talk back in here -- was going thru withdrawals for a few days... I like the football team, and am thankful we have Coach Cut, BUTTTTT ... Hoops is on the way, and after all, this is the D B R ! ! !

Can't say I know much about him as a person but I think Dwayne Collins is a beast and will be a force to be reckoned with this year. I'd take that big body and skill any day.

Danny Green does dance like a geek!

I would love to see Hansblahblah take the 5 spot, with Sykes backing him up and providing extra defensive muscle/bulk as needed.

Can't stand Danny Green. Please don't mention him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ders24 View Post
    Just think about Danny Green "dancing" in Cameron before games.
    barf. thanks a lot, i just ate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Berg View Post
    Can't stand Danny Green. Please don't mention him again.
    ditto

hasbro on our roster = "omg look at the duke refs, he's traveling, gets away with everything" plus, once in hell, you're stuck there.

I'd go with K.C. Rivers.