Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    I agree... BC in the ACC? traditional "south east" ACC member? Even Syracuse seemed out of place to me... What about a trade between BC and UCF?
    I had a similar thought a few years ago. Interesting that we both came up with UCF.

After Miami and Virginia Tech, the Big East team that made the most geographic sense to defect to the ACC was West Virginia. I'm glad UVA took a stand against Syracuse, but adding BC still feels like a mistake.

If I had free reign to redesign the ACC, with little regard for other conferences, I'd re-absorb South Carolina, add Central Florida, and dump Maryland and BC. The result easily separates the league: 6 teams north of the Carolina border, 6 teams south. It also creates 5 sensible geographic rivalry pairs (plus GT-UCF).

The quality of basketball slips a little, but the map is fantastic. (If anyone is all that interested, I did the same with the other BCS conferences, so that each has 12 football-playing teams. Obviously, the name "Big Ten" had to go.)

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    And the day we start imitating the Big East...

And yes, I'd argue it matters. As much as we all dislike expansion, the teams we added made a lot more sense than Vandy ever would.
    Vandy is a lot more of a natural fit than Boston College.

"If I had free reign to redesign the ACC, with little regard for other conferences, I'd re-absorb South Carolina, add Central Florida, and dump Maryland and BC. The result easily separates the league: 6 teams north of the Carolina border, 6 teams south. It also creates 5 sensible geographic rivalry pairs (plus GT-UCF)."

Even hypothetically there's no way to keep recent arrival VT and ditch founding member Maryland.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Even hypothetically there's no way to keep recent arrival VT and ditch founding member Maryland.
    There's ALWAYS a way to do something hypothetically.

Hold on a sec... there. Ah yes. Duke now has the 1999 and 2004 titles.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    If I had free reign to redesign the ACC, with little regard for other conferences,
    Is there anyone who wouldn't just put Duke, UNC, State, Wake, Maryland, GT, UVA, and Clemson back into an 8 team conference? How can you top that? Maybe add FSU in there too, if only to cement the "wine and cheese" comment into the history of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Devil View Post
    Vandy is a lot more of a natural fit than Boston College.
    Vandy just doesn't make sense geographically, which I feel we should cling to as the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.

As long as we're talking crazy

How about Duke leaving the ACC down the road? Here is the scenario. The Duke football revitalization falls flat and the adminstration decides not to pay the football facility arms race. Duke basically decides behind closed doors that they are done trying to be competetive in football. For the second part of the scenario Coach K steps down and Duke's basketball program struggles. They go through multiple coaches in multiple years sliding into mediocity. Does Duke stay in the ACC? There would be pressure from the ACC offices to stay comptetive in sports and Duke might decide that the conference has lost focus on maintaining student athletics. Where would Duke go? Independant? Form a new conference with teams like the aforementioned Commadores. What other teams? Would Wake jump? Temple? Navy?

I thought you were proposing a 3 star and a 4 star front court recruit tandum for one much needed, game changing 5 star player.

whereinthehellami,

I agree with you 100 percent.

You are talking crazy.