Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question America's gas ... where is it?

The AJC.COM is reporting that Atlanta is running into gas shortages, given hurricane-related refinery shutdowns for Georgia's special low sulfur-emission gas. What's the situation down there? Y'all okay getting gas?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    The AJC.COM is reporting that Atlanta is running into gas shortages, given hurricane-related refinery shutdowns for Georgia's special low sulfur-emission gas. What's the situation down there? Y'all okay getting gas?
    The city is almost bone dry. It is sorta scary. We found a station that was selling gas for $4.49/gallon on Sunday night and filled up my wife's car. My car is now at about 1/4 of a tank left and there are no stations with any gas. Well, that is not true-- a local Kroger got some gas today and the lines were around the block. I asked someone who was waiting and they had been there for 30 minutes. I am hoping to make it 2 or 3 more days and they say we should have ample supplies by then.

Gov. Purdue is appealing to the EPA to get some smog restrictions temporarily lifted so we can get some dirtier gas in here for a week or so. That would make things better, for sure. If we only do it for a week, I am cool with that.

It is ugly though. People are running out of gas while waiting in line to get a fillup. Many stations are asking folks to only pump 10 gallons so there is enough for everyone. As you can imagine, no one is doing that.

--Jason "I shoulda bought a Prius!!!" Evans

The local news in Durham was reporting that there were stations in Raleigh that were either out of higher octane/premium gas or out of everything. KNOCK WOOD, I haven't seen any shortages in Durham. The prices are slowly trickling down, but they're still in the upper $3.80's. Good Morning America was showing gas lines in Atlanta. Good luck to you guys!

What Jason says. It's as bad, if not wose, than advertised.

I drove around today (with my gas light on) with a sweat developing passing station after station with no gas. Finally found one on the sixth….SIXTH try.

It was very crowded. People getting irritated and such (but not too much today).

It’s bad. And scary. A taste of anarchy.

-EJ

I strongly suspect that much of the Atlanta gas is in that wee 1/2 bathroom that the flatulent EarlJam is locked in. Free EarlJam, Free Atlanta!

I've frankly gone into ostrich mode on a lot of things recently (that is, bury my head and pretend it's not happening), gas shortages included. I'm currently hovering just below half a tank, which in my trusty new Honda should get me through to the weekend, when we'll supposedly have normalish gas availability.

God bless the Cliff bus, right Lav?

Or, in my case, being able to walk across the street to class.

I was up in Greenville SC over the weekend, and it took me 3 stations to find gas there, before heading back to Atlanta.

Seems shortages are fairly widespread.

Unhappy I can't imagine what my former commute is like right now

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I've frankly gone into ostrich mode on a lot of things recently (that is, bury my head and pretend it's not happening), gas shortages included. I'm currently hovering just below half a tank, which in my trusty new Honda should get me through to the weekend, when we'll supposedly have normalish gas availability.

God bless the Cliff bus, right Lav?
    I really feel for all of you. There but for the grace of ...

I imagine Shamm is feeling it in north Cobb.

Wilson's refering to the Clifton corridor bus line that runs among the Emory hospitals, university, and CDC. They set it up to cut down on the traffic congestion along this street (that is about 4 lanes too narrow for the volume of traffic). IIRC, the buses are nearly all electric, CNG, and biodiesel.

Best of luck folks!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Wilson's refering to the Clifton corridor bus line that runs among the Emory hospitals, university, and CDC. They set it up to cut down on the traffic congestion along this street (that is about 4 lanes too narrow for the volume of traffic). IIRC, the buses are nearly all electric, CNG, and biodiesel...
    Correction...the buses are all powered by alternative fuels. Emory has been repeatedly named among "America's Greenest Campuses" by no mistake, and is an institution for Atlanta to be proud of and learn from.

http://www.emory.edu/home/news/relea...vationist.html

Out here is SW DeKalb County it was going pretty well until maybe today. There are four stations on my way to work, and I have not seen two out of gas at the same time until this afternoon. I filled up the Wednesday before the hurricane for $3.54 or so, but needed more yesterday (was below a quarter tank). Station on one side of the road was packed with cars, lined up three deep. The opposite corner was MUCH less crowded, I was first in line and noone got in behind me. $4.09, I think. That station was serving up ONLY Regular gas. Now both cars are basically full.
    Class of Billy King and Chris Moreland

I'm supposed to drive to ATL tomorrow (Wed) and then back home Thu. It's a tad over a full tank all the way around. Should I just bag it? Is it really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I'm supposed to drive to ATL tomorrow (Wed) and then back home Thu. It's a tad over a full tank all the way around. Should I just bag it? Is it really that bad?
    Tough question, and a good one. It's pretty bad. I'd say unless you can put some reserves in your trunk, don't risk it. Or better yet, I suppose it depends on the mission.

If it doesn't get better by Friday, I may have to cancel my, assuming likewise, trip to N.C. (distance-wise).

-EJ

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    If it doesn't get better by Friday, I may have to cancel my, assuming likewise, trip to N.C. (distance-wise).

-EJ
    I was wondering about that. Hope things clear up so you make it up for a visit.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post

-EJ
    In that case, you just might have to stay here and be awesome with me (even though I pay a tax of dozens of brain cells every time I hang out with you).

Smile Best of luck to the ATL DBR Mafia

Correction...the buses are all powered by alternative fuels. Emory has been repeatedly named among "America's Greenest Campuses" by no mistake, and is an institution for Atlanta to be proud of and learn from.

http://www.emory.edu/home/news/relea...vationist.html
    I thought there was at least two other alternative forms of fuel they used in their buses ... but again, you are correct, ALL alternative fuel.

If I was still down there, I'd be hosed if it wasn't for the employee MARTA plan. The free monthly MARTA pass (paid by Emory), cut my fuel consumption drastically. On the plan, I'd fill up every 15 days; as opposed to the every 5 days before the plan.

The MARTA buses I took were CNG. Any shortages of that?

Hopefully all will be better when Fish next comes down to Atlanta.

Again, all my best to everyone coping with the problem in Atlanta!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

In that case, you just might have to stay here and be awesome with me (even though I pay a tax of dozens of brain cells every time I hang out with you).
    My liver hasn't spoken to me since Sunday, and my kidneys have only spoken to me once....last night......they said: *"You're an a$shole."

Great Pirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrate party though. Outstanding.

-EJ

*"You're" = Me.

Looks like well past time to structure your life in such a way that you don't need much gasoline, especially if you have the privilege of living in a major metro like ATL. ATL's potential for TOD is woefully under-exploited.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Looks like well past time to structure your life in such a way that you don't need much gasoline, especially if you have the privilege of living in a major metro like ATL. ATL's potential for TOD is woefully under-exploited.
    Throaty has spoken ... any word from Shammrog?

ATL has been in the exploratory stage of expanding MARTA rail around the city and into the Clifton Corridor. And we know there are plans to get some other options downtown, as well as a brain train linking UGa, Emory, GaTech, Spellman, Morehouse, and possibly Auburn.

But don't expect anytime soon for Cobb & Gwinnett counties to join in any regional transportation plan that doesn't involve more cars.

REALLY hope this thread doesn't get bumped to the PPB. REALLY hoping for the best for everyone in ATL.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

I'm really sorry to hear about everyone's troubles in the dirty dirty. Good vibes to you all and I hope the gas starts pumping soon.