View Poll Results: What was the low point of the year for you?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • The men's team and their disappointing season overall

20 19.42%
  • Josh not developing as expected by some

9 8.74%
  • Greg struggling at the start

1 0.97%
  • The end of the women's season

28 27.18%
  • JJ being buried on the Magic bench

2 1.94%
  • The lacrosse thing

43 41.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Burlington

Burlington, eh? I lived there a while too, right by the circle K and the food lion off of the highway.

Ash, I'm glad the therapy has allowed you to admit you lived here after all these years. I know it took quite a few sessions with a shrink to be able to admit I used to live in Chapel Hill. We all have skeletons in our closet.

Burlington... a far-flung suburb of greater Saxapahaw.

Hurley....Saxapahaw is an indian word meaning, "Hey at least it's not Orange County".

Unhappy The biggest downer hasn't happened yet.

It will come when we lose Gail.

Love, Ima

[QUOTE=Latta6970;11505] However I live in Burlington right next door to Elon University. Like Duke that school has a large portion of the student body from the northern states, particularly New Jersey and New York. I can not and will not speak for Duke or the citizens of Durham. (Although the feelings of hatred that reared their ugly head just after the LAX case didn't spring up over night.) But with Elon many (not all) of the students view the locals as common white mill trash unworthy to scrape the gum off their shoe.

I live in Elon too, so how is that for a coincidence. I have a bit of resentment for Elon's student body, not so much that they're rich white Northeasterners, but they are all CLONES. They all look alike, dress alike, talk alike, its ridiculous. I know private institutions are not considered the bastions of variety, but Elon takes the cake. I think I've seen a total of 13 minority students as I've driven through campus (no this isn't hyperbole). As college towns go, Elon lacks a lot of that college town vibe.

In no particular order, I present the most brutal sports year for Duke in a long, long time:

1. Losing the NCAA title in women's hoops one year ago in OT to the Terps after we had the sucker won.
    2. The horrible ordeal (for everyone) of the lacrosse accusations. Losing a great lacrosse coach. Having guys' lives and reputations trashed. Having the university's name dragged throught the mud nationally. Cancelling a season when we had a real shot to win our first NCAA lacrosse title.
    3. Going 0-12 in football and losing to UNC by a point and to ACC champ Wake on a missed FG. And losing to 1-AA Richmond.
    4. The men's team's failure to gel. Losing to Carolina twice and in the first rounds of the ACC and NCAA tourney. And all the close regular season losses.
    5. The women losing to Rutgers (painfully) after being the prohibitive favorite to win it all most of the season.
    6. Losing the women's coach who built the program from a nonentity to a juggernaut.And the AD seeming not to care if she goes or stays.
    7. Honorable mention: JJ's DWI, JJ benched by the Magic, Henderson (and Duke) vilified, that stupid "This is why you suck" video, the general hatred of Duke by seemingly everyone.

Dont' forget:

Last second FB loss to Miami that really would have been the big win our program has needed for a long time.

Men's Soccer losing in OT at home in the Elite 8 as the #1 overall seed.

It's been a really rough year.

The LAX thing without a doubt. It wasn't really a sports thing, but it was appalling on many levels.