Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fifteen years ago today

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Thanks for the memory.

I could watch that over and over and over and. . .

ESPN Classic is replaying the game from 7-9 tonight, followed by the 1 hour "Battle Lines" program on '92 Duke-Kentucky

Has it really been 15 years? I feel old....

Thumbs up knew it as soon as I saw the name on the thread

AAAAAh, The Perfect Game.

Sublime.

Talking Total Silence @ UNC

I was in a friends dorm room at UNC (his car had broken down and I, being the great friend I was, went to help him... despite missing some of the game on TV) when this all went down.

I got to see all of the OT in his room. I will not lie... there was a massive roar that tore across the dorm area of campus when Kentucky hit the shot and went ahead w/2.1 seconds left. I felt like I had been hit in the gut.

My friend was a big Duke fan, even at UNC, and just sat in his chair stunned. I remember saying to him that it wasn't over... it wasn't over. I probably said it 5 or 6 times, mostly trying to assure myself that we had a chance.

When Christian hit the shot, we went running up and down the outside balcony screaming our heads off, but there was TOTAL SILENCE at UNC (except for the kind friends who told us where we could go for winning)

/Sniff, sniff
    //wipes away tear in honor of the greatest play ever witnessed

The Greatest Sports Moment of My Life

I was there at the Spectrum - sitting about 15 rows from the court - almost directly even with the spot from which Laettner launched the shot. I remember so clearly yelling at Christian to "shoot it" while he took his dribble and half spin move. Then looking around wildly for the refs to make sure the shot counted.

Imagine going from pure despair during the timeout ... "I can't believe we just blew our season ... I can't believe we're going to lose and blow our whole season ... " to pure ecstasy, jumping up and down and screaming like a little kid. I still get chills thinking about it and watching it.

Isn't it amazing how sports can create those moments of emotion?

That was my freshman year. I feel so lucky to have been on campus that night. It was the greatest bonfire we had the whole time I was there (this was around the time Duke first started thinking seriously about limiting or eliminating the bonfires). I watched the game on Central Campus and sprinted through the Gardens to West within minutes after it ended. By the time I got to West Campus (it couldn't have been more than ten minutes) the bonfire was already RAGING.

An unforgettable moment, and an unforgettable night.

I remember watching it b/c it was on my 6th Birthday so that means I am 21 today so I will be passed out in a couple hours.

I was at a friend's house and when the UK shot fell, I came thisclose to walking out the door and driving home because the game was over. Something made me stay and when Laettner hit that shot, I almost hit my head on the top of the door frame where I was standing when I watched it. The next day (I was a senior in high school), all the UNC fans (and there were a lot) were trying not to trip over their bottom lips.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

I actually taped the game

For some reason I watched and taped the game.

I was at home and watching in the bedroom TV. After the Kentucky shot I went downstairs and told my wife that Duke was going to lose. We turned on the TV in the family room and saw the GREAT PLAY.

SoCal

I was 8 and my older brother was 9, and he was the actually the huge Duke fan at the time. The funny/weird part, though, is that not only do I remember watching that game, but I remember everything I did that day leading up to the game in the evening. I remember what I had for lunch and dinner, I remember my brother had his best friend sleep over, everything. I don't know how many people remember everything they did on a day when they were 8 years old, but I do for some really odd reason. Guess it's safe to say the actual game is one I will never forget...

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Where were you when The Shot went through?

Yes, I'm a little late with the question already answered by many.

I was at a party in Marblehead, Massachusetts. I get nervous during Duke games and sometimes leave the room but somehow I managed to sit through the entire overtime in the same room as the TV. As it left Laettner's hands I shouted "That's going in!". We made a pile on the floor not unlike the player's on the court.

OK, something's been bugging me for awhile, and I want to know the answer enough that I'll risk the scorn of others here for not already knowing. Who is it that falls down under the basket after the shot goes through? Is it Brian Davis? I just don't remember who was number 21 on that team, sorry. I think I see Brian Davis in another shot with his warm-up on, so who falls down?

Watching that clip DOES NOT GET OLD! (Somebody should send it to Bill Simmons.)

I'm not sure who falls down, but Antonio Lang was #21.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I'm not sure who falls down, but Antonio Lang was #21.
    Yep, that was him.

I was in the family room at my parents house watching and when Woods made a straight on bank shot I started screaming at the TV because I could not believe we were going to lose on a bank shot. During the timeout I was so mad at Laettner for the stomp and ensuing T because that really seemed to fire up UK. A few seconds later he made me repent my thoughts and reminded me why I simply refered to him as "The Man".

What's so amazing about Laettner is when you look at his career, it's shocking he missed the shot at the end of the UNC game earlier that year.

Radio

I was at sea aboard the USS Blue Ridge and listening to the game on the radio. Let me assure you the shot was every bit as exciting via radio as TV.

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan

to a kentucky fan it was more like 28 March 1979... happened in the same state, too

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I was there at the Spectrum - sitting about 15 rows from the court
    So was I, with my father. Except a few rows closer behind the basket, and behind Leslie Visser whose irritating 'reports' kept us from seeing the action time and time again. However, at the time of the shot, we had left our seats and were standing in one of the entryways (with a much better angle). We were despondent and then two seconds later, were hugging strangers in the aisle.

We rode to the game on the plane with the UK cheerleaders and mascot, (who helped the steward give the safety presentation) and 99% UK fans. What a pleasant ride back. Had it turned out otherwise, I think we might have rented a car...