Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

850 the Buzz and 620 the Bull.

Chris Clark is gone from the station. They've given his show to Bomani Jones.

just kill me now...

I met Chris a few times, and liked what he had to say..but I'll be honest...his show was dreadful. Certainly, he knew his stuff, but you're not going to win over folks in this area talking about hockey.

He seemed to have a nice rapport with Stengel for awhile, but sometimes it's best to get yourself on down the line.
    Last edited by devilirium; 09-17-2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: dfdf

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

just kill me now...
    I agree with Bomani Jones no more than half the time but I enjoy his show. Granted, he IS a Duke hater. But aren't most people?

Quote Originally Posted by Inonehand View Post
    I agree with Bomani Jones no more than half the time but I enjoy his show. Granted, he IS a Duke hater. But aren't most people?
    Yes but his hate is flavored by thinly veiled insinuations that Duke (and K) are racist.

to me, bomani is nothing more than a Stephen A wanna-be. His substance is lacking, (sure he can rip of some stats) but, as Stephan A, his pitch is blatantly from the position of "you just don't understand the "brothers".

it's insulting and not very entertaining.

but then, if i KNEW anything about entertainment, i would have made a career out of .....wait

I tried tuning in this guy a couple of times and all I get out of it is some guy yelling into the microphone. Definitely a Duke Hater and Tar Heel lover. He has openly stated that on the air. I have heard other people who have listened to the show say that he does make subtle references to Duke being a racist program.

Bomani is not worth your time

After David Glenn came back from his vacation everyone was jumping for joy. For a few days/weeks all anyone talked about on the call ins was how Bomani was awful and they were glad to have David back. Why would they bring Bomani back at a different time? You would think they would listen to their audience.

Duke 4 Life

DukeDrummer

Agreed. I tried to send a comment to the 850 manager 2 days ago, but the e-mail address for comments is disabled. My comment as follows:

Hi Brian,

I have just one question for you: have you ever heard Mr. Jones take the side of, or support in any way, a white person? This guy clearly has a problem with white people and listening to him babble on with his racist slant is just brutal. I used to like 850 and 620, but I have to turn it off all too often since it seems that he is on more than half the time now. Thanks for listening.

As an aside, I believe this is the guy that tried to teach a class entitled "The Black Athlete in America" at Duke. I think it was cancelled for lack of enrollment, but I remember there being some sort of controversy around that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

just kill me now...
    Is it that there is so little "talent" to choose from in the area or that the salary they are willing to pay doesn't interest enough radio professionals from other markets?

If Bomani Jones is the best they can do, it's pretty pathetic.

Brian Maloney - manager@850thebuzz.com

Chris was not as bad as devilrium has made him out to be. I hate hockey and he did talk about hockey more than I liked. He didn't talk about hockey anymore than Joe Ovius or Adam Gold do. He usually let callers dictate what subject to talk about. He was a UNC grad but was always fair and unbiased when talking about Duke. I appreciated that. Hell he even let Dick From Raleigh call in.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Hell he even let Dick From Raleigh call in.
    .... I dont care who you are, thats funny..

What do y'all think about Mike Maniscalco in Raleigh? He was here in Richmond for a few years, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    What do y'all think about Mike Maniscalco in Raleigh? He was here in Richmond for a few years, just wondering.
    Who? What station is he on? I've never heard him. But I've never put on 99.9 fm either, if that is where he is.

Good to see you here again, Chuck! You coming down for any football games?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

None of them function as more than entertainment... and duke hatin is entertainment for a lot of people in this area

I stopped listening when Steve Logan left to go to BC.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Who? What station is he on? I've never heard him. But I've never put on 99.9 fm either, if that is where he is.

Good to see you here again, Chuck! You coming down for any football games?
    Yep he's on 99.9, but I only know though that because I've heard his named mentioned there. That being said, nobody on 99.9 has stood out to me as a personality so far. The only reason I listen to it usually is because that is where The Dan Patrick Show is aired.

i will definitely switch from adam and joe on 850 to dan patrick....i like him better than colin cowheard....altho, colin is kinda cool sometimes...

that will take me into the jim rome show...

I guess the local yocal stations got exactly what they paid for in Barnaby Jones.

I emailed David Glenn concerning Chris. He says that Chris has the opportunity to stay with the station in a lessened role. Which means he got the boot in order to put bomani in. I don't get it at all. Bomani is pretty awful. I guess they needed more diversity though.

Also, 99.9 gets good interviews but they don't know the local scene at all.