View Poll Results: What is your favorite film by Joel and Ethan Coen?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blood Simple

0 0%
  • Raising Arizona

13 22.41%
  • Miller's Crossing

2 3.45%
  • Barton Fink

2 3.45%
  • The Hudsucker Proxy

3 5.17%
  • Fargo

5 8.62%
  • The Big Lebowski

13 22.41%
  • O Brother Where Art Thou?

17 29.31%
  • The Man Who Wasn't There

0 0%
  • The Ladykillers

0 0%
  • No Country For Old Men

3 5.17%
  • Burn After Reading

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite Joel and Ethan Coen film

Vote early, vote often... this is not an easy decision!

--Jason "I am leaving Intolerable Cruelty off this list because no one could possibly think that was their best film" Evans

I'm a Dapper Dan man!

O Brother. "Are any a' you boys' smithies, or otherwise trained in the metalurgical arts?".

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    --Jason "I am leaving Intolerable Cruelty off this list because no one could possibly think that was their best film" Evans
    I'd vote Hudsucker anyway -- broader appeal, highly rewatchable, and the supply and demand sequence is an instant classic -- but I have a soft spot for Intolerable Cruelty. One of Clooney's better performances, and a great turn by Paul Adelstein before he did Prison Break.

Also, I'm not sure there's a scene in any Coen Brothers movie that captures their mentality better than when Geoffrey Rush is taking Polaroids of his punctured backside and laughing so knowingly (and litigiously).

So I pose this question to you. Intolerable Cruelty: best film ever to be considered a director's weakest effort?

I voted with my heart, and my love of quotable movies - Raising Arizona's been in the repertoire for years and years now.

Son, you got a panty on your head...

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    So I pose this question to you. Intolerable Cruelty: best film ever to be considered a director's weakest effort?
    I actually debated a bit at which film to leave off of the 13 they have done. I liked Intolerable Cruelty but felt it was simply not in a league with much of the rest of their work. Your point is well-made though. These guys are so consistently excellent their worst is still pretty darn good.

What is Stephen Spielberg's worst film? I suppose most would say it is Hook, but that was still a passable fantasy film -- better than average for the genre, I think. Maybe his worst is AI -- which I still have not seen. Still, when you look at the volume of films he has made, his consistency is stunning. I think SS is especially impressive because so many of his pictures are big boxoffice movies, not attempts at being artistic and award-winning. For him to churn out top notch blockbusters is really impressive.

--Jason "this could rapidly turn into a very different discussion" Evans

What is Stephen Spielberg's worst film? I suppose most would say it is Hook, but that was still a passable fantasy film -- better than average for the genre, I think. Maybe his worst is AI -- which I still have not seen. Still, when you look at the volume of films he has made, his consistency is stunning. I think SS is especially impressive because so many of his pictures are big boxoffice movies, not attempts at being artistic and award-winning. For him to churn out top notch blockbusters is really impressive.
    In what capacity? My vote would go the Flintstones.

--Jason "this could rapidly turn into a very different discussion" Evans
    Agreed.

I'd really like to vote in this poll but I'm afraid that I've got some more viewing to do before I can cast a legitimate vote. I'm loving to read everyone's posts though.

I feel like I have to join a 12 step program - one where the steps lead me to watching more movies. I haven't seen any of these. I liked the music from O Brother - but that is as close as I get.

Early was the operative word for me...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    We play a game every now and then on long car trips, quoting as many lines from O'brother as we can think of.

Fargo for me, with Hudsucker a close 2nd. And Miller's Crossing not far behind-- I loved John Turturro's performance and have been a huge fan of his ever since.

The dude abides.

Miller's Crossing....."me hat......"

coen brothers

I am a huge fan of the Coen Brothers ...

Just to weigh in on the Intolerable Cruelty debate ... I enjoyed the film very much. While I agree that no one could rank it as the Brothers' best ... or even best five ... it's far better than the unwatchable Ladykillers -- the one and only Coen film I actively dislike.

What is the best (I haven't seen Burn after Reading yet)?

1. Fargo -- the brothers have done dark films (No Country, Miller's Crossing, Blood Simple, the Man Who Wasn't There ...) and comic films (most of the rest), but no Coen Brothers film captures both aspects of their nature better than Fargo. The juxtaposition of horror and comedy is amazing, both in the broad strokes -- the kidnap, murder of Macy's wife -- and the details -- re-watch the scene where Frances McDormand meets her Asian high school friend for drinks ... it's sidesplitting funny, while it's also quite horrible.

2. O Brother -- the music is great -- before I heard "Big Rock Candy Mountain" in the opening, I thought it was a children's song! -- and so is the comedy. Clooney is outstanding, but so are Tuturro and Tim Nelson. Although not really based on Homer's Odyssey, it's fun to see them weave aspects of it into the film (the Sirens, the Cyclops, even the blind poet ... plus the aspect of Ulysses returning home to battle his wife's suitors).

3. The Big Lebowski -- The Dude abides ... Goodman, with his bowling ball, is a riot.

4. No Country for Old Men -- what a great dark masterpeice, surprising at times in an almost Hitchcockian sense.

5. Barton Fink -- the height of 'strange'! I disliked this movie when I first saw it, but it haunted me and I decided to watch it again. As I rewatched it, I got more and more intrigued.

I also have a soft spot for The Man Who Wasn't There and for Blood Simple, their debut film.

Interesting how the Coens have their own ensemble cast that keep showing up in their films. Frances McDormand was the femme fatale in Blood Simple ... she has her greatest screen role in Fargo and was also in The Man Who Wasn't There; Goodman shows up in Raising Arizona, then does great turns in Lebowski, Barton Fink and a great cameo in O Brother ... Tuturro is great in Fink and O'Brother; Clooney great in O'Brother and Intolerable Cruelty (and has a role in the new one) ...

Looking forward to "A Serious Man" and "Hail Caeser" -- both due next year.

"Pete, Delmar -- you two's dumber than a bag a hammers."

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Giu la testa/Once Upon a Time: The Revolution. Sergio Leone.

What's Kurosawa's weakest film?
    Last edited by throatybeard; 09-21-2008 at 04:52 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Maybe his worst is AI -- which I still have not seen.
    I think it is crazy to think of AI as Spielberg's worst movie. I know a lot of people hated it but I think almost as many people truly loved it. For example, the NYT capsule review on Rotten Tomatoes is:

"The best fairy tale -- the most disturbing, complex and intellectually challenging boy's adventure story -- Mr. Spielberg has made."

I would argue a movie that is alternately loved and hated is a far better movie than one that is universally mediocre.

Back on topic: The Big Lebowski all the way!

Raising Arizona

I had to go with "Raising Arizona", but it really pained me to not give the vote to "Fargo".

I've always thought of Fargo as the ultimate, anti-Bruce Willis movie. Whenever I see Fargo, it's fun to consider each of Frances McDormand's scenes as representing the extreme opposite of what you'd see Bruce Willis do in a similar situation in any of his movies.

"Marge" has always been my favorite anti-action hero, and that's one of the many reasons I enjoy Fargo. But I still have to go with Raising Arizona.

Glen

Blood Simple hooked me on Coen movies for ever. But O' Bro is my favorite.
    ~rthomas

"Are you employed, Mr. Lebowski?"
    " Listen. You're Mr. Lebowski. I am The Dude."

We can all find comfort in that.