Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Honestly, have that many of the national media "crowned" UNC as champions of the division? Mostly I saw them being looked at as a possible contender for the (weak) division. And they just lost by 3 points to another contender. It's not like they got blown away.

However, while I haven't seen anything in the media, my UNC friends are saying that their QB is out for the year with a micro fracture. That's going to put a lot of pressure on Paulus, who didn't look ready against VT.

There are some games in this pathetic division that the Devils can steal. If they can sneak in a few more wins than expected, it would help a lot on the recruiting trail.

Quote Originally Posted by sandinmyshoes View Post
    Honestly, have that many of the national media "crowned" UNC as champions of the division? Mostly I saw them being looked at as a possible contender for the (weak) division. And they just lost by 3 points to another contender. It's not like they got blown away.

However, while I haven't seen anything in the media, my UNC friends are saying that their QB is out for the year with a micro fracture. That's going to put a lot of pressure on Paulus, who didn't look ready against VT.

There are some games in this pathetic division that the Devils can steal. If they can sneak in a few more wins than expected, it would help a lot on the recruiting trail.
    I'm not sure I'd call the Coastal pathetic...

As much as I loath the 'Holes and scoff at them, they do have talent and will be a tough win for Duke (but win we shall! - imagine that in a Henry V or William Wallace type call-to-victory roar). Virginia Tech is young, but has talent, and is improving. Their D is solid. The same can be said for Miami. Georgia Tech looks good, plain and simple. The only team in the Coastal that remotely qualifies, so far, as pathetic, is Virginia. And we need to take care of business with them on Saturday.

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    Good job by the Hokies. They have looked better each week. Remember they lost 8 players to the NFL last year. IIRC, that was the most in college football. Beamer is aso now 7-1 against Davis. Beamer has never been known as an X's and O's coach, so that tells you something about Davis.
    They lost their best three receivers. They lost their amazing linebacker tandem. They lost one of their top two cornerbacks. And their offensive and defensive lines were decimated. It's not easy to come back from that in just a year. These guys, particularly their receiving corp and BOTH lines, need time to gel and learn to play together. It doesn't help that they can't seem to pick a QB, which only makes it tougher on the receivers. I really do think Tyrod Taylor has the potential to be good, but he's basically a freshman experience-wise. He is ALMOST as athletic as Vick, and has a more accurate arm. I think that for this year though, a more option-oriented offense would be better for him production-wise, and help open up the passing game for him a little more. But this team was deconstructed between graduation and the NFL. It'll take time.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    They lost their best three receivers. They lost their amazing linebacker tandem. They lost one of their top two cornerbacks. And their offensive and defensive lines were decimated. It's not easy to come back from that in just a year. These guys, particularly their receiving corp and BOTH lines, need time to gel and learn to play together. It doesn't help that they can't seem to pick a QB, which only makes it tougher on the receivers. I really do think Tyrod Taylor has the potential to be good, but he's basically a freshman experience-wise. He is ALMOST as athletic as Vick, and has a more accurate arm. I think that for this year though, a more option-oriented offense would be better for him production-wise, and help open up the passing game for him a little more. But this team was deconstructed between graduation and the NFL. It'll take time.
    I think the key for VT is injuries. Their Oline is still at least a year away from being back to dominant form. They have a solid 1st string now that DeChristopher is back but they are 1 injury away from really struggling again. And Tyrod got his ankled rolled in the UNC game. For his game to work, he has to be 100%. VT is looking at next year and the year after to make another run at a big BCS game. Being in the thick of the race this year is just great experience for Beamer's young team.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I'm not sure I'd call the Coastal pathetic...

As much as I loath the 'Holes and scoff at them, they do have talent and will be a tough win for Duke (but win we shall! - imagine that in a Henry V or William Wallace type call-to-victory roar). Virginia Tech is young, but has talent, and is improving. Their D is solid. The same can be said for Miami. Georgia Tech looks good, plain and simple. The only team in the Coastal that remotely qualifies, so far, as pathetic, is Virginia. And we need to take care of business with them on Saturday.
    Pathetic is probably too strong a word, but does the division have a top 20 team? Or a top 30? It's mediocre, but with some programs showing signs of improvement in Miami, Duke and UNC.

As for VTech's youth and inexperience, I think we should remember that those kids practiced against some awfully good players in their redshirt and freshmen years. That is really the gap between a program like Tech's and that of UNC or our own Devils. That's why I think if we can steal a few more games than expected, coach Cut can start building some of that sort of depth.

T.J. Yates Out 6 weeks

UNC Quarterback T.J. Yates will be out 6 weeks according to Coach Davis. Mike Paulus could very well be the new starting QB

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    UNC Quarterback T.J. Yates will be out 6 weeks according to Coach Davis. Mike Paulus could very well be the new starting QB
    It probably doesn't help that it was his first game (I think?), but M. Paulus looked horrendous out there last game against VTech. I don't know whether to wish him luck... I think I can live with this: I hope that Paulus throws for 5 TD each game but his team would still lose

the BEST part...

The best part of the game for me was watching Butch walk the sidelines in Duke blue.

(I know it not technically Duke Blue, but its closer to it than that shade of piss-pot blue they normally wear..)

I mentioned that to my unc buddy I was watching the game with. He didnt mind when they were winning. (or was it the 1st 10 x's I said it...?) but when they started losing it became like twisting the knife that much harder.

terrifically enjoyable afternoon of football chili and beer.

Moral Highground??

I plan on supporting MP to my UNC buddies.
    A frosh thrown to the wolves... the outlook isnt incredibly optimistic for wins.

I wish him well and hope he plays great in loses.

Then when BB season rolls around... I get to LORD my support over MP them cuz I know they wont reciprocate and give GP any love at all.

There goes the season, hopefully!

I hate to see Yates go down like that. As much as I loathe Carolina, it's usually just their fans I despise. Tough break for a kid who was having a strong start to his season. Hopefully he'll recover in time for Duke to beat his pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottymouth!pottym outh! in November.

It IS pretty funny that, in trying to reinvent their football program, they've gone away from Carolina Blue. Is this an admission by the 'Holes that the traditional Carolina blue is a soft, fluffy, dare-I-say wimpy color, incapable of inspiring intimidation or fear? Are they finally conceding that a darker, more Duke-ish, blue is simply a better color?

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    I wouldn't want to be a redshirt freshman getting my first start down in Miami. As long as Miami is motivated, they will be, their defense is going to swarm thru the soft smurf-like underbelly of the UNC offensive line.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    It IS pretty funny that, in trying to reinvent their football program, they've gone away from Carolina Blue. Is this an admission by the 'Holes that the traditional Carolina blue is a soft, fluffy, dare-I-say wimpy color, incapable of inspiring intimidation or fear? Are they finally conceding that a darker, more Duke-ish, blue is simply a better color?
    Do you know how annyoing it has been to walk into Walmart of late, see a huge stack of dark blue shirts in the sports section, and walk over in anticipation of them actually having some Duke merchandise, only to turn it around and see it emblazoned with "Carolina"? Stick to your baby blue you bastahds, and leave the dark end of the spectrum to it's rightful owners. Sigh. Even in the Durham Walmart, there was no true Duke blue attire. But at least it didn't say "UNC".

Maybe Mike will surprise us and have a good game, you never know. UNC player or not, I'm kinda rooting for the kid, I'm not doing anything our starting PG isn't.

isn't Paulus a redshirt freshman? If so... it's not like he's thrown to the wolves. He's been there for over a year.

If I were the U coach I'd BLITZ, BLITZ,BLITZ. Hope they throw everything at the backup qb.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    If I were the U coach I'd BLITZ, BLITZ,BLITZ. Hope they throw everything at the backup qb.
    well i think UNC had 53 yards rushing against Virginia Tech with 50 of those yards coming in one play. I haven't really seen Virginia Tech's D-Line but i don't think it's any better than Miami's. Add in the fact that Miami really likes to send in the blitzes, and Paulus will be starting his first game... it could be a very long day for UNC.

I hope the kid throws ten interceptions. Every game for the rest of the season. And fifteen against Duke. What's wrong with you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I hope the kid throws ten interceptions. Every game for the rest of the season. And fifteen against Duke. What's wrong with you guys?
    lol. I don't really understand why they are rooting for him either. Doesn't he play for UNC?? Isn't that reason enough to hope he throws five INTs? He had every chance to goto Duke or a different program... yet he chose UNC. Kinda like mud in Duke's face if you ask me.